The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone. Can one of you smart lads post a pic of your offer letter so I can just see what it looks like? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Lucilou101
You don't need to do anything - your college will allocate you a room for first year, if you are able to give a preference then they will contact you before you arrive in October with the information for it :smile:

Original post by Paralove
Whether you get any choice on your room depends entirely on the college, but there will be a room for you, it isn't like sorting halls elsewhere. They should be getting in touch with you in the next few days though with information regarding stuff like accommodation afaik.

Thank you both for you're help. That's such a relief :smile:
I'm in!! :biggrin: Medicine at Christ's anyone?
Original post by mazzletazzle
True, but of roughly £40 per paper about £2 goes to marker ... GREEDY exam boards and their profit margins are at fault. EDEXCEL are among the worst. Most expensive exam entries and remarks and highest profits...

Possibly......but they have to set at a level that won't encourage too many people to request remarks or they'd be inundated with millions and millions of requests, probably more for humanities/arts subjects because the answers can not be as objective as maths/science.
It has to be the level which makes you think very carefully if it's worth the price or not. A bit like the admission fee for the viewing floor of The Shard (though I think that's a proper rip off. :tongue:)

But if it's true a re-marker is getting such a small proportion, that's unfair....
Original post by EYPHKA
Did Warwick accept the C?

I also have an A from last year so I only needed 2As this year, which I got and the C didn't matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Hmmmm... I'd never have thought law would be specified. Especially seeing as it's one they prefer less

No, my offer was for Law and I got full UMS in that (and in c3 and c4) but I got a C in English literature.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done everyone! I'm going to be studying MML at Girton:smile:
Original post by HopefulLawyerHG
I also have an A from last year so I only needed 2As this year, which I got and the C didn't matter

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you got A*A*A? How come Cambridge didn't accept this? Is it because they wanted the three a-levels in one year?
So you got A*A*A? How come Cambridge didn't accept this? Is it because they wanted the three a-levels in one year?

They usually do as they want to make sure an applicant can cope with the amount of work they'll need to do.
Original post by vincrows
They usually do as they want to make sure an applicant can cope with the amount of work they'll need to do.

I know that is usually the case, I just wondered if it was the reason in this particular case :wink:

Yep- my offer explicitly stated it was for English lit, law and maths so I presume that was the case

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep- my offer explicitly stated it was for English lit, law and maths so I presume that was the case

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh so I thought - that's pretty tough, but at least Warwick is lovely as well :smile: good luck there!
Original post by vincrows
Possibly......but they have to set at a level that won't encourage too many people to request remarks or they'd be inundated with millions and millions of requests, probably more for humanities/arts subjects because the answers can not be as objective as maths/science.
It has to be the level which makes you think very carefully if it's worth the price or not. A bit like the admission fee for the viewing floor of The Shard (though I think that's a proper rip off. :tongue:)

But if it's true a re-marker is getting such a small proportion, that's unfair....

Exactly - if it were super cheap, it would essentially undermine the marking system because everyone would be able to challenge a grade that they don't believe is fair. Obviously, examiners are human and they make mistakes, but if it was made so cheap that everyone was able to question their marks, exam boards would be inundated, and even less efficient.

I agree that the share of the price that the examiners get is unfair.
Got 5A*s and in, so excited and so scared!! can't believe it
So far I only got an email from my college, but nothing has changed on track. Can I still go celebrate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Makes sense, well done by the way!
Got 4A* 2As and an offer for Medicine at Johns! :smile: although I've recently moved house so I'm scared that I won't get any letters sent to me :')
Original post by rosedam
So far I only got an email from my college, but nothing has changed on track. Can I still go celebrate?

yes!! congrats :smile:
x

Just to let you know and thanks for all your help yesterday.

Durham rejected me as a near-miss. I got 38 765 but they wanted 38 666. They didn't even bother replying to any of my emails or picking up the phone. Just did it over Track at 17:30 yesterday.

That meant I was slow into clearing. All the courses I was interested are full now. The lady on the phone at Exeter said (regarding my grades) "wow, that's high! Why are you in clearing?" I was like .........................

Cambridge still haven't said anything, but I'm expecting a rejection later on today. Need to begin planning my gap year I suppose.
Original post by ILovePancakes
Just to let you know and thanks for all your help yesterday.

Durham rejected me as a near-miss. I got 38 765 but they wanted 38 666. They didn't even bother replying to any of my emails or picking up the phone. Just did it over Track at 17:30 yesterday.

That meant I was slow into clearing. All the courses I was interested are full now. The lady on the phone at Exeter said (regarding my grades) "wow, that's high! Why are you in clearing?" I was like .........................

Cambridge still haven't said anything, but I'm expecting a rejection later on today. Need to begin planning my gap year I suppose.

That sucks :frown:

With your grades though you can get a very decent place for next year, and I'm sure you could find something worthwhile to do in your gap year. Best of luck for it all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending