The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rhimair
I'm pretty happy - AAC and a D in AS Biology (but we don't talk about that :tongue:!!!)

I can't wait to start either! I know it's going to be a challenge, but this is definitely what I want to do, so I"m up for it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah biology didn't happen :wink:

Yeah I'm kinda nervous but at the same time I've waited all year for this so now it's only a few weeks away and I'm well up for it!

What's Marjon doing for freshers?
Original post by JordanC55
Yeah biology didn't happen :wink:

Yeah I'm kinda nervous but at the same time I've waited all year for this so now it's only a few weeks away and I'm well up for it!

What's Marjon doing for freshers?

I'm not 100% sure about the freshers arrangements yet, but I know that there's a freshers' ball, headlined by the Wurzels (of 'I've got a brand new combine harvester' fame!!!) Proper West Country induction!!! :biggrin:

How about DMU?
Original post by Woro
Is City's SLT course weak? I was surprised to find it in clearing!

I think it is a combination of factors really. Their entry requirements are simply too high and put people off applying through the normal route which means they have to hover up students in clearing to ensure they have the right number (they have larger cohorts which does not help). There was a girl last year who got rejected by all of her places, and she had not even been given an interview at most. Yet she got into City through clearing despite the fact it has the highest entry requirements on paper. I think the living costs in London give lots of people cold feet as well.

The course itself is not weak (as AmyPilot suggested I am not sure what would count as a weak course). One of their staff members on Twitter just bragged about being the first SLT course ever to secure 100% satisfaction rates from students.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by evantej
I think it is a combination of factors really. Their entry requirements are simply too high and put people off applying through the normal route which means they have to cover up students in clearing to ensure they have the right number (they have larger cohorts which does not help). There was a girl last year who got rejected by all of her places, and she had not even been given an interview at most. Yet she got into City through clearing despite the fact it has the highest entry requirements on paper. I think the living costs in London give lots of people cold feet as well.

The course itself is not weak (as AmyPilot suggested I am not sure what would count as a weak course). One of their staff members on Twitter just bragged about being the first SLT course ever to secure 100% satisfaction rates from students.

How was your first year? It's gone so fast hasn't it?
Anyone got an interview through clearing for Sheffield?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmyPilot
How was your first year? It's gone so fast hasn't it?

I have not really enjoyed it to be honest. I liked some bits but on the whole I just get the feeling that the course is set up to run students into the ground. There are too many assessments, lots of content which is 'wishy washy', some duplication across modules, and the workload differences between some modules is laughable. For example, we have a 10 credit anatomy module which is supposed to have 100 hours of teaching time over two semesters (34 hours of lectures and the rest is self study and exam preparation etc.). Yet we routinely had four hours of lectures and practicals per week across both semesters. Yet modules which are worth twice as many credits have far fewer lectures and require barely any work. The whole thing is a mess.

I am currently revising for an anatomy resit next Tuesday then I have to take a phonetic and linguistic class test which I missed in January because my girlfriend got ill (looked really serious at the time). So I am not really finished yet... I think if I get over this hump and just get into second year then I will better about things as there are fewer modules and we get to start working in clinics.
Original post by evantej
I have not really enjoyed it to be honest. I liked some bits but on the whole I just get the feeling that the course is set up to run students into the ground. There are too many assessments, lots of content which is 'wishy washy', some duplication across modules, and the workload differences between some modules is laughable. For example, we have a 10 credit anatomy module which is supposed to have 100 hours of teaching time over two semesters (34 hours of lectures and the rest is self study and exam preparation etc.). Yet we routinely had four hours of lectures and practicals per week across both semesters. Yet modules which are worth twice as many credits have far fewer lectures and require barely any work. The whole thing is a mess.

I am currently revising for an anatomy resit next Tuesday then I have to take a phonetic and linguistic class test which I missed in January because my girlfriend got ill (looked really serious at the time). So I am not really finished yet... I think if I get over this hump and just get into second year then I will better about things as there are fewer modules and we get to start working in clinics.

Oh wow seems like quite a chaotic year - hope your girlfriend is ok now and that the resit and other assessments go well.

Did you not have any placements in first year? We did 3 - two educational (1 early years the other high school and a one week clinical placement at the end of the first year.

Each module we do is worth 30 credits so teaching time has been fairly balanced - we do have an occasional clash between the SLT side and the psychology part but nothing too bad. It does have its peaks and troughs workload wise - for instance calm(ish) for first term then several deadlines from Feb-May then exams but on the whole its been manageable.

Thought I was bound to have to retake some aspects in August but luckily I got away with it :smile:
Reply 3807
Hi everyone! 😃 Anyone else on here going to Newcastle? See you in September if you are! I'm a mature student (29) so hoping I don't stick out like a sore thumb on freshers week! Haha! I'm only 18 at heart though to be fair 😂 xx
One of my mates is applying to speech therapy at Strathcylde through clearing (she got better grades then she thought she would and after seeing me bang on about it she's decided to try) and they're making people submit an essay as to why they deserve a place and why they're qualified enough to handle the work of the course!

Pretty crazy considering it's in clearing...
Original post by rhimair
I'm not 100% sure about the freshers arrangements yet, but I know that there's a freshers' ball, headlined by the Wurzels (of 'I've got a brand new combine harvester' fame!!!) Proper West Country induction!!! :biggrin:

How about DMU?

Hahahaha that's so awesome! I'd love that!

Dmu haven't properly announced theirs yet, we have to wait for the line up in a couple of weeks. Hopefully it's good :.)
Oh wow seems like quite a chaotic year - hope your girlfriend is ok now and that the resit and other assessments go well.

Did you not have any placements in first year? We did 3 - two educational (1 early years the other high school and a one week clinical placement at the end of the first year.

Each module we do is worth 30 credits so teaching time has been fairly balanced - we do have an occasional clash between the SLT side and the psychology part but nothing too bad. It does have its peaks and troughs workload wise - for instance calm(ish) for first term then several deadlines from Feb-May then exams but on the whole its been manageable.

Thought I was bound to have to retake some aspects in August but luckily I got away with it :smile:

No placements in first year. We have one observation each semester in our clinical module where we observe second year students in our literacy clinic and aphasia centre (four hours maximum). We also do a child study but that does not really count.

I am used to other universities having fewer but larger modules as well. When I did my English degree at MMU I had a double unit worth 40 credits each year then four modules worth 20 credits each. These ran throughout the year.

Newcastle seems really bitty in comparison. They have lots of modules which only run for one semester (physiology, research methods, cases) and even modules which run the entire year are split up. So anatomy is split up into gross and neuroanatomy. Brain and behaviour is split into 'psychology' then this some other wishy washy stuff. The child study material all gets delivered in semester one then nothing in semester two.The only modules where things seem to 'progress' are clinical, and linguistics and phonetics.

We thought my girlfriend might have had a stroke at the time (how convenient for my learning :biggrin:) so I ended up spending some time in hospital with her. But it was nothing in the end. Back to cranial nerves...
Original post by JFNX
Hi everyone! 😃 Anyone else on here going to Newcastle? See you in September if you are! I'm a mature student (29) so hoping I don't stick out like a sore thumb on freshers week! Haha! I'm only 18 at heart though to be fair 😂 xx

I am at Newcastle now and there were a few mid-to-late 20s (myself included) in the class. One in their 30s and another in their 40s. You will be fine.
Reply 3812
Original post by evantej
I am at Newcastle now and there were a few mid-to-late 20s (myself included) in the class. One in their 30s and another in their 40s. You will be fine.

Ah thanks that's good to know! 😃
One of my mates is applying to speech therapy at Strathcylde through clearing (she got better grades then she thought she would and after seeing me bang on about it she's decided to try) and they're making people submit an essay as to why they deserve a place and why they're qualified enough to handle the work of the course!

Suppose the essay is a bit like a new personal statement really and it beats an actual interview :biggrin:

Is she not bothering to look at some of the English uni courses in clearing - unless she is Scottish of course - won't the finding be more favourable?

You packed yet???????
Original post by evantej
No placements in first year. We have one observation each semester in our clinical module where we observe second year students in our literacy clinic and aphasia centre (four hours maximum). We also do a child study but that does not really count.

I am used to other universities having fewer but larger modules as well. When I did my English degree at MMU I had a double unit worth 40 credits each year then four modules worth 20 credits each. These ran throughout the year.

Newcastle seems really bitty in comparison. They have lots of modules which only run for one semester (physiology, research methods, cases) and even modules which run the entire year are split up. So anatomy is split up into gross and neuroanatomy. Brain and behaviour is split into 'psychology' then this some other wishy washy stuff. The child study material all gets delivered in semester one then nothing in semester two.The only modules where things seem to 'progress' are clinical, and linguistics and phonetics.

We thought my girlfriend might have had a stroke at the time (how convenient for my learning :biggrin:) so I ended up spending some time in hospital with her. But it was nothing in the end. Back to cranial nerves...

Strange how the same professional course can be delivered so differently at each Uni but its interesting to hear what it's like somewhere else.

I picked MMU over other unis as I thought the practical way it is delivered would be more helpful to me (I am very quiet/shy so need prodding in this aspect rather than the more academic side of things).

My second year is more psychology based before shifting back to a greater SLT emphasis in third year.

I am glad it turned out not to be so serious with the health scare and good luck in your exams!
Anyone else studying SLT at UoM? :smile:
Suppose the essay is a bit like a new personal statement really and it beats an actual interview :biggrin:

Is she not bothering to look at some of the English uni courses in clearing - unless she is Scottish of course - won't the finding be more favourable?

You packed yet???????

I don't know completely but I know she was considering DMU self funded but would rather go to Scotland for some reason. I don't think any of the other English courses are in clearing now are they?

I guess it beats an interview but it just seemed weird considering they're in clearing and they gave me an unconditional without an interview so I thought they were fairly relaxed.

Not quite! Got a job interview lined up at Zara tho! Freshers for me isn't till the 28th, move in day is the 25th
I don't know completely but I know she was considering DMU self funded but would rather go to Scotland for some reason. I don't think any of the other English courses are in clearing now are they?

I guess it beats an interview but it just seemed weird considering they're in clearing and they gave me an unconditional without an interview so I thought they were fairly relaxed.

Not quite! Got a job interview lined up at Zara tho! Freshers for me isn't till the 28th, move in day is the 25th

There are a few in clearing (or there were) - City Marjon Sheffield.

Good luck with the interview - I am going back early to be a student ambassador during the international students arrival week (which is paid!) but we start a week earlier than you - Induction Week is 21st.

Wow... Strathclyde obviously wants to make it even more stressful! The uni must consider itself worth being fought over...

When are Strathclyde meant to be deciding who gets the places? If they leave it too late it'll be so panic-inducing...
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Wow... Strathclyde obviously wants to make it even more stressful! The uni must consider itself worth being fought over...

When are Strathclyde meant to be deciding who gets the places? If they leave it too late it'll be so panic-inducing...

They said that you'd hear back by Monday 5pm,

That's exactly my thought process like if you're in clearing you're already going to be fairly stressed out so this is just adding to that I think! Luckily she's going through adjustment so if it went tits up she'd be alright but still it isn't fair.

Quick Reply

Latest