The Student Room Group

Drama and theatre studies applicants 2016 entry!!

Scroll to see replies

Personally I'm not having acting classes bc my parents don't want me to spend my whole time doing extra curriculars when I'll have exams so I'm concentrating more on getting as much show experience as possible.
If you have the time then do both shows and individual acting lessons bc you'll be getting group practice during the productions but if just lessons then I'd say that if possible a mixture of group and individual would be preferable bc to work on audition monologues you'd want one to one attention but doing drama with others is also really important to practice so I guess it depends on which you'll struggle with most xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cytja_0288
I have a quick question: are people taking solo acting classes or group acting classes to help with their techniques and monologues? I'm not sure which is easier for me to do, and I would like to get started in the fall.

Yeah, I'm getting weekly one on ones with a coach specifically on my pieces, although through that it's teaching me a fair bit of technique too. I've been getting experience doing loads of different types of productions the last few years though, so if you've just been in school and haven't had a chance to do a load of different things, then maybe it'd be a good idea to do that too.
The reason I'm getting one on ones so often is because I've applied in the past and gotten nowhere. I think the reason is that I was picking pieces (sometimes the wrong pieces), learning the lines, and trying to direct myself thinking they'd see some potential. They want you to stand out, and it's often hard to get the best out of yourself if there's no-one outside of yourself there to give direction.

Not gonna lie, I'm spending basically all my money on coaching sessions - it's expensive, but I want to get into the top places and know I believe in myself. I want to give it a really incredible shot and already I can see the difference in my pieces. It may not be the best way for everyone to go, but for me it makes sense.
Uni of Sussex has Clearing places for Drama Studies, Theatre and Performance Studies : http://www.sussex.ac.uk/clearing/heu/courses?subject=Drama+studies
I have found my people! How exciting to find people who are also going to be auditioning for 2016. I am auditioning for LAMDA, RCSSD, RCS, E15, and one other. Which I haven't decided. It all depends on audition dates and places.

I am located in los Angeles and I am a bit nervous but oddly optimistic. So excited. If I dont get in I will still try and relocate to the uk.
Original post by dropdeadthespian
I have found my people! How exciting to find people who are also going to be auditioning for 2016. I am auditioning for LAMDA, RCSSD, RCS, E15, and one other. Which I haven't decided. It all depends on audition dates and places.

I am located in los Angeles and I am a bit nervous but oddly optimistic. So excited. If I dont get in I will still try and relocate to the uk.

Hi! If you're looking for other places to audition to, one school I keep hearing really positive things about from people within the industry is Arts Ed. They're quite new, but are chaired by Andrew Lloyd Webber. It may not be for you, but if you're not from London you may not have heard about it, so could be worth checking out. Good luck! I'm hoping to come to your side of the pond for Juilliard (I know it's the other side of the country, but still) so hopefully we can trade places!
That's awesome. Do you know if there is any programs to do if you dont get into a conservatoire? I am wanting to relocate anyways but I am scared I won't find a program to do. My husband has a job offer in london. But here in la I was accepted into intensive program and I dont want to give that up for london and not being able to act nor audition. :frown:
That's awesome. Do you know if there is any programs to do if you dont get into a conservatoire? I am wanting to relocate anyways but I am scared I won't find a program to do. My husband has a job offer in london. But here in la I was accepted into intensive program and I dont want to give that up for london and not being able to act nor audition. :frown:

Hmm.. define program? I mean, there are normal university courses that do drama, but in terms of giving you a good chance of entering the industry afterwards I wouldn't've thought it's the best choice (I'm not saying they're not worthwhile, just that you have such a low chance at getting into the industry and earning off the debt through acting when doing a conservatoire, I would imagine the chances would be far more minimal in a more academic based uni course). The other option is to train doing individual workshops, masterclasses etc. at places like The Actor's Centre and The Actor's Guild whilst trying to get work in the industry.
I think that is what I am looking for individual workshops and classes. Luckily, I don't have to worry TOO much about money. Not saying I am wealthy but I don't have much responsibility outside of my husband and myself. I don't want to take a uni course that isn't practical.

Does anyone want to talk prep? I have a plan of attack for these auditions and I want to talk about it with someone. Anyone open to this?

The Central School of Speech and Drama has some gap year courses. I believe there is one with classes once a week and one with classes three times I week.I might be wrong about how often the classes are though :smile:

-- Madalene
Hey All ,

Trusting you're all well.

It'll be my second year auditioning for a Drama School in London however for Sept 2015 Entry. I was very lucky as I only applied at RADA, where I got down to the final two & DRAMA CENTRE where I got ton the final round.

Hopefully the second years the charm.

A piece of advice - Don't allow other people's opinions on Schools you apply for or the monologue pieces you choose dishearten you. Do what you want to do. Everyone has different experiences & everyone doesn't fall into the same casting. Everyone also has different strengths so work to them.

Also don't over think your pieces by searching what's monologues are overdone. Choose what works for you and finally the Elizabethan & Jacobean Era's had many great playwrights. Obviously Shakespeare work is the most famous but there are some beautiful plays that are just as good.

Best of luck to you all.
I have an audition today! Not for a drama school but for this fully funded theatre training, so it's still quite a big thing :smile: wish me luck! Xx
Reply 91
I am applying for Stage Management for 2016 entry, if that counts? Tried starting a separate technical theatre thread but it's very quiet and lonely over there so thought I would join in with you! I have also done lots of acting in the past :smile:
Reply 92
Hello everyone!
I am quite desperate for some advice about applying to schools and I was hoping someone could help me. I'm not from the UK and I'm really hoping to audition for atleast 5 drama schools in London. But I have a bit of a problem; I have a couple of theatre productions coming up in the winter and naturally I can't really miss the rehearsals. So does anyone know whether it's possible to arrange the audition date early on. So for example if I know a week(s) when I'm able to audition, could I somehow arrange my audition to be on that specific week? Also it would help to have a couple of auditions for different schools during the same week, since flying isn't very cheap and I'm one poor student. Thanks and best of luck to you all!
Original post by Rete
Hello everyone!
I am quite desperate for some advice about applying to schools and I was hoping someone could help me. I'm not from the UK and I'm really hoping to audition for atleast 5 drama schools in London. But I have a bit of a problem; I have a couple of theatre productions coming up in the winter and naturally I can't really miss the rehearsals. So does anyone know whether it's possible to arrange the audition date early on. So for example if I know a week(s) when I'm able to audition, could I somehow arrange my audition to be on that specific week? Also it would help to have a couple of auditions for different schools during the same week, since flying isn't very cheap and I'm one poor student. Thanks and best of luck to you all!

Hello! A lot of schools have a section in their application where you can put dates that you're unavailable. If not, you can always apply later (applications will stay open until around April/May).

- Madalene :smile:
Original post by Rete
Hello everyone!

Hey!

If you decide to look outside of London, Birmingham is just a short train journey away from the capital, and like to think we have all the benefits of London but at a much lower cost :wink:
We're used to auditioning International Students at Birmingham School of Acting, so would be able to organise a date that best suits you, but if you have any queries, our admissions team would be happy to help!

All the best,
Lydia :smile:
Can I ask - should I apply to do Drama at Uni this September to attend in 2016, or should I take the year to further my Acting Experience (workshops, short films, seeing theatre, performing and teaching youth theatre) and audition for entry in 2017? I want to Act, have a fair amount of experience, but have sort of gone through a major move recently (hence, why hesitant to audition this year, for 2016 - as too last minute to plan)

Thanks!
Reply 96
Original post by BettyLovesDrama
Can I ask - should I apply to do Drama at Uni this September to attend in 2016, or should I take the year to further my Acting Experience (workshops, short films, seeing theatre, performing and teaching youth theatre) and audition for entry in 2017? I want to Act, have a fair amount of experience, but have sort of gone through a major move recently (hence, why hesitant to audition this year, for 2016 - as too last minute to plan)

Thanks!

If acting is what you really want to do (or anything else within the theatre and entertainment industry for that matter) save yourself for when you are ready to apply to drama school! University courses are largely theory based and so therefore your opportunity to perform and immerse yourself in theatre outside of a text book will be minimal. Many people who go to university and do drama have to then retrain at a drama school afterwards in order to become actors and so I would be inclined to say save yourself the money. If you know you are going to apply for drama school in 2017 then why start a degree you have every intention of dropping out of after the first year, when this will have a huge impact on your student loan? I'd say spend a year getting as involved with theatre as you possibly can, getting a job front of house somewhere (if you can) is a great start as you will meet lots of different types of professionals at varying stages in their career who will be able to give you a better insight into the realities of the industry. Go to as many auditions as you can for as many different types of shows, and roles as are open to you. Try volunteering backstage somewhere as well as this will also help broaden your knowledge. Watch as much theatre as possible and read about your craft, not just plays (although I am very much of the belief that plays are better seen and not read anyway as this is what they were intended for - you wouldn't speak the words of a song and expect to get the same impact would you?) Or better still go and see the play you are reading and get the benefit of both! You can also look at ways of putting on your own work, and look for some drama facilitation experience as well as taking classes to keep you focused and give you some direction. Obviously this is all just personal opinion and there is really no right or wrong way of going about applying to drama school and becoming an actor. At the end of the day talent counts for a lot but there is also a hell of a lot of luck involved as well. Really hope this all helps and good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:
Original post by BecksK
If acting is what you really want to do (or anything else within the theatre and entertainment industry for that matter) save yourself for when you are ready to apply to drama school! University courses are largely theory based and so therefore your opportunity to perform and immerse yourself in theatre outside of a text book will be minimal. Many people who go to university and do drama have to then retrain at a drama school afterwards in order to become actors and so I would be inclined to say save yourself the money. If you know you are going to apply for drama school in 2017 then why start a degree you have every intention of dropping out of after the first year, when this will have a huge impact on your student loan? I'd say spend a year getting as involved with theatre as you possibly can, getting a job front of house somewhere (if you can) is a great start as you will meet lots of different types of professionals at varying stages in their career who will be able to give you a better insight into the realities of the industry. Go to as many auditions as you can for as many different types of shows, and roles as are open to you. Try volunteering backstage somewhere as well as this will also help broaden your knowledge. Watch as much theatre as possible and read about your craft, not just plays (although I am very much of the belief that plays are better seen and not read anyway as this is what they were intended for - you wouldn't speak the words of a song and expect to get the same impact would you?) Or better still go and see the play you are reading and get the benefit of both! You can also look at ways of putting on your own work, and look for some drama facilitation experience as well as taking classes to keep you focused and give you some direction. Obviously this is all just personal opinion and there is really no right or wrong way of going about applying to drama school and becoming an actor. At the end of the day talent counts for a lot but there is also a hell of a lot of luck involved as well. Really hope this all helps and good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:

Exceptional advice!
Hi everyone.

Hello and best of luck to everyone auditioning!

I myself will be auditioning for LAMDA (applications open October 1st - I can't wait!) but I'll be relying heavily on scholarships so undecided as to which other schools I'll be applying to. Reason being, I've already been to theatre school so funding is tricky for me! If anyone needs any advice regarding auditions feel free to PM me. Mine were mostly dance-based but I'm sure the experience will largely be the same :colondollar: My first piece of advice however is to concentrate ENTIRELY on rehearsing your own performances - do not spend the whole year on this forum talking about them! Go practice!

Any other "mature" students here?
Original post by NEVERGOTOWIGAN
There are some courses that are run by a bunch of sadistic idiots

LOL! This so much! Don't fall into the trap of thinking a school is "good" just because the teachers are narcissists.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending