The Student Room Group

Has your or anyone you know LDR worked out?

And if they have, can you give any advice? I'm going to be honest, I've been with my boyfriend now for 2 years, so breaking up now over going to uni (It's an hour away, and we're planning to see each other on weekends) seems unnecessary to me. But I was just wondering if there was any happy endings to LDRs?
Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I and my boyfriend have been together for a year (and he started uni a month and a bit after we became 'official':wink:. He's at Cambridge and I'm in North Yorkshire so it's a 3 hour car journey/4 hour rail journey and in term time we see each other every 3 weeks. We also skype twice a week which is nice because it feels more personal than just talking over Facebook etc. If you bother to put the effort in then it should work out. :h:
Reply 2
I've known about 5 couples including my previous relationship, none of them worked out. What do you mean exactly by 'worked out'? Do you mean if it led to marriage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by PusE
I've known about 5 couples including my previous relationship, none of them worked out. What do you mean exactly by 'worked out'? Do you mean if it led to marriage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just not breaking up really
Reply 4
Original post by LouLou422
Just not breaking up really

All five broke up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And if they have, can you give any advice? I'm going to be honest, I've been with my boyfriend now for 2 years, so breaking up now over going to uni (It's an hour away, and we're planning to see each other on weekends) seems unnecessary to me. But I was just wondering if there was any happy endings to LDRs?

My boyfriend and I have been together since October 2011 and in an LDR since September 2013. I go to a uni in our home city and he's moved two hours away to go to a uni in Lancashire. We try to see each other every two weeks or so (the longest we've gone without seeing each other is a month). We've had a lovely summer together and we're both starting our final year of uni in a couple of weeks. I think if I can give you any advice, the best would be to have trust in each other, keep up the communication (talk on facebook, through text, call each other, skype) and understand that there will be bad days, days where you feel so lonely and wonder if it's worth it. But if you truly love one another and genuinely want to be together, you certainly have as good a chance as any of making it work :smile: best of luck to both of you! :h:

What seems unnecessary to you? it's only an hour away.. Just see how it goes. You don't have anything to lose really.
Reply 7
Original post by sarcastic-sal
I and my boyfriend have been together for a year (and he started uni a month and a bit after we became 'official':wink:. He's at Cambridge and I'm in North Yorkshire so it's a 3 hour car journey/4 hour rail journey and in term time we see each other every 3 weeks. We also skype twice a week which is nice because it feels more personal than just talking over Facebook etc. If you bother to put the effort in then it should work out. :h:

Thank you! I'm planning on calling him every night if I can, since he's working and may have to go to bed earlier than me :tongue: I am planning on speaking to him every day though!

Original post by PusE
All five broke up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, fair enough, that's a lot of couples, hopefully that won't happen to us, but I understand that it's a possibility

Original post by Sicaspeak
My boyfriend and I have been together since October 2011 and in an LDR since September 2013. I go to a uni in our home city and he's moved two hours away to go to a uni in Lancashire. We try to see each other every two weeks or so (the longest we've gone without seeing each other is a month). We've had a lovely summer together and we're both starting our final year of uni in a couple of weeks. I think if I can give you any advice, the best would be to have trust in each other, keep up the communication (talk on facebook, through text, call each other, skype) and understand that there will be bad days, days where you feel so lonely and wonder if it's worth it. But if you truly love one another and genuinely want to be together, you certainly have as good a chance as any of making it work :smile: best of luck to both of you! :h:

It's amazing that you guys have been together for so long! It really shows that it is in fact, possible! Thank you for saying what the downsides will be like, I'll remember that it's normal to feel that way, which gives me some comfort :smile: And we really do want to make this work, he's totally up for the LDR thing and from the beginning we decided to try and make the relationship into a long one :h:
Thank you very much! Same to you and your boyfriend!
Reply 8
Original post by phunky_fresh
What seems unnecessary to you? it's only an hour away.. Just see how it goes. You don't have anything to lose really.

The breaking up over going to uni seems unnecessary because it was only and hour away. I'm sorry I never made that clearer!
Reply 9
I know of one couple who were in a LDR and ended up getting married and living together after university.

All others failed, usually within the first few months.
nope
The breaking up over going to uni seems unnecessary because it was only and hour away. I'm sorry I never made that clearer!

Ohhh ok I hear you. I know of one couple that were in a LDR for 3 years and 7 years later they are still together.

It's amazing that you guys have been together for so long! It really shows that it is in fact, possible! Thank you for saying what the downsides will be like, I'll remember that it's normal to feel that way, which gives me some comfort :smile: And we really do want to make this work, he's totally up for the LDR thing and from the beginning we decided to try and make the relationship into a long one :h:
Thank you very much! Same to you and your boyfriend!

Yeah, you just have to be realistic and be clear about what you both want (e.g. careers, lifestyle things, etc.) but sounds like you've already got that covered! :biggrin:Thank you!! :h:
Myself and two of my flatmates are in LDRs. We're going into our third year, and we've been long distance the whole time (one of my flatmates' boyfriends started a year before us so they've been going a year longer). We're all perfectly happy and are looking forward to 9 months time when we finish our degrees and move in with our other halves!

I see my boyfriend at least every three weeks, and we call and text every day. I just think it's important to always keep each other in the loop in terms of emotions, achievements etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been semi-long distance relationship (two hours away, seeing each other at weekends but I have stayed with him for 1-2 weeks at the time on several occasions) for two and a half years and we are moving in together in a few months. I used to work with a woman who was long distance with her husband when they first met and they've now been married for ten years and have two kids. I wouldn't class being an hour apart as long distance tbh; people travel longer to get to work.
As a child because of parental differences I've moved back and forth between Trinidad and here. And so obv I'd have a thing back on the island and thankfully with skype we can keep in touch but a relationship? No. When I return each time it's like yesterday but I never try to rekindle anything.

Once I broke up with my ex, I recently began a relationship with an Indian Trinidadian who flew out to be with me and go to Uni she was accepted to here, that was very sweet of her. It would not have worked otherwise.

As far as any hr away, that's nothing. A plane journey, hell no.
I know a few who were in LDRs (including different countries) and ended up marrying.
But I know many LDRs that just went nowhere.

I also know a couple LDRs that seem stuck in that phase. The couples are not moving in or even near to each other for various reasons, but at the same time they are not breaking up. They are just sort of stuck there.
Currently in one with my gf. Requires a lot of trust and effort. Most of all two individuals who really want to be with each other. Hard but manageable
Reply 18
Original post by lascelles
Myself and two of my flatmates are in LDRs. We're going into our third year, and we've been long distance the whole time (one of my flatmates' boyfriends started a year before us so they've been going a year longer). We're all perfectly happy and are looking forward to 9 months time when we finish our degrees and move in with our other halves!

I see my boyfriend at least every three weeks, and we call and text every day. I just think it's important to always keep each other in the loop in terms of emotions, achievements etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good point actually, I'll keep that in mind when I call him :smile: And I'm happy for you guys! It makes me happy to see LDR working out! :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
I've been semi-long distance relationship (two hours away, seeing each other at weekends but I have stayed with him for 1-2 weeks at the time on several occasions) for two and a half years and we are moving in together in a few months. I used to work with a woman who was long distance with her husband when they first met and they've now been married for ten years and have two kids. I wouldn't class being an hour apart as long distance tbh; people travel longer to get to work.

That's a good point, I'm guessing it's because I'm so used to seeing him nearly everyday and living so close to each other that I considered it to be long distance

Original post by Man.bear.pig
As a child because of parental differences I've moved back and forth between Trinidad and here. And so obv I'd have a thing back on the island and thankfully with skype we can keep in touch but a relationship? No. When I return each time it's like yesterday but I never try to rekindle anything.

Once I broke up with my ex, I recently began a relationship with an Indian Trinidadian who flew out to be with me and go to Uni she was accepted to here, that was very sweet of her. It would not have worked otherwise.

As far as any hr away, that's nothing. A plane journey, hell no.

Yeah, I can be thankful that it isn't across the world!

Original post by bluemax
Currently in one with my gf. Requires a lot of trust and effort. Most of all two individuals who really want to be with each other. Hard but manageable

We do trust each other massively, he's just concerned for my safety is all, which I understand. And we're both willing to make the effort, so I guess we'll have a good chance at it?
(edited 8 years ago)
An hour away?! I'd hardly call that long distance!! You could still see each other during the week if you wanted too!! That's really not far at all, just a little further than round the corner...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending