The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3940
Original post by JordanC55
Is it sad that I'm excited for there to be a 2016 thread to pass the baton over

Well done on everyone going to study SLT this soon :smile: Just to let you know that i couldn't see a 2016 applicant thread, so i have just started one. Here it is - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3580381
Reply 3941
Original post by saraw26
Hey!

Firstly, congratulations to those who have got their results and places on the course! If you haven't, there are alternatives, so don't give up.

I've just been trying to catch up on all that's been said on here! I'd just like to say, as someone who has completed first year, that yes, it is a demanding course - but I wouldn't say first year has been much more difficult than A levels in someways (academically). It's demanding in a sense that it encourages you to develop as a person, and makes you question some of your views on subjects and can help you be more open minded. Although I'm a bit nervous to go into second year (where we go on placement in October), it's all a learning process, and no one expects you to be some sort of perfect SLT yet - in fact they never will do, you'll always be learning, adapting, and developing as a person and a professional throughout the career!

I wish I had enjoyed my first year a bit more and not stressed so much, it's really not worth it. If you put in the effort, you'll find you reap the rewards - it is a very rewarding course :smile:

If anyone has any questions about first year at BCU, please feel free to ask :h:

Hi, I'm hoping to start the course sept of next year. Could you please give me some information on how late the lectures usually run. I'm trying to work out childcare and if they often run past 5pm I'll need to sort out something different to a standard nursery. Do you have a copy of last years timetable you could post?
Many thanks for your help!
Original post by Jo-sie
Hi, I'm hoping to start the course sept of next year. Could you please give me some information on how late the lectures usually run. I'm trying to work out childcare and if they often run past 5pm I'll need to sort out something different to a standard nursery. Do you have a copy of last years timetable you could post?
Many thanks for your help!

The timetable will change every year, so I can't say for 100% sure what yours will be like. I had a few 7pm finishes here and there, but this was because I was in a later group (due to my surname, normally), so if you speak to the lecturers, you can often be in the earlier group :smile: If it's the whole group in after 5pm, which wasn't often, I'm sure you could ask to arrange catching up with work if you needed - most lecture slides will be available before or after the lecture. I hope this helps? :smile:
Original post by shropshirelass51
Hi,
Does anyone starting BCu next week know what days we need to go in during induction week? Apart from the Sunday, I can only see mention of the 22nd Anyone have any further information? Trying to get organised! Many thanks.

Have you found this info yet? I'm now in 2nd year, and we were in pretty much every day of induction week (I think we had Wednesday off), so I would keep them all free just in case if you don't know yet :smile:
Reply 3944
Original post by saraw26
The timetable will change every year, so I can't say for 100% sure what yours will be like. I had a few 7pm finishes here and there, but this was because I was in a later group (due to my surname, normally), so if you speak to the lecturers, you can often be in the earlier group :smile: If it's the whole group in after 5pm, which wasn't often, I'm sure you could ask to arrange catching up with work if you needed - most lecture slides will be available before or after the lecture. I hope this helps? :smile:

That is really helpful, thank you so much!
Original post by saraw26
Have you found this info yet? I'm now in 2nd year, and we were in pretty much every day of induction week (I think we had Wednesday off), so I would keep them all free just in case if you don't know yet :smile:

Hi thanks for the heads up.
Has anyone got an email address for the speech and language department at BCU? Thanks
For anyone going into the 1st year at BCU, I emailed to ask about the induction programme. We are in every day apart from Wednesday with start times varying between 8.30 and 10.00 and finish time latest 3.00 with individual appointments with personal tutors to be arranged in one of the free afternoons (Monday and Tuesday).
(edited 8 years ago)
For anyone going into the 1st year at BCU, I emailed to ask about the induction programme. We are in every day apart from Wednesday with start times varying between 8.30 and 10.00 and finish time latest 3.00 with individual appointments with personal tutors to be arranged in one of the free afternoons (Monday and Tuesday).

That's great thank you 😀 don't suppose there was a mention when timetables would be made available? X

Thank you so much for this info...I wonder when BCU were going to make this available to everyone :rolleyes:!

Any mention of whether this was the same for both part-time and full-time applicants? TIA for any reply...i'll ring up too, but just wondered if you knew?
Original post by JaaySLT
Any mention of whether this was the same for both part-time and full-time applicants? TIA for any reply...i'll ring up too, but just wondered if you knew?

I would imagine it would be the same for full and part time as it's sessions that are relevant to everyone, like meet service users, introduction to Library, health and safety talk, giving voice campaign, etc.

I emailed yesterday and got an early reply this morning, with next weeks timetable so I'm sure if you email they will mail it to you.
Original post by fayeowen90
That's great thank you 😀 don't suppose there was a mention when timetables would be made available? X

The timetable was just for the induction, no mention of term time proper. Hopefully, not too many 8.30 starts as the only train I can get would be leaving at 6.35!
Reply 3953
The timetable was just for the induction, no mention of term time proper. Hopefully, not too many 8.30 starts as the only train I can get would be leaving at 6.35!

I understood that core hours started at 9aam, otherwise it might present a problem at the beginning of the day for me! Can you keep us updated please?
Just wanted to wish everyone all the best when starting your courses next week!

It's been a pleasure sharing your journey throughout the last 12 months.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by AmyPilot

Thank you Amy for all your support and encouragement. Good luck with year 2!

Thank you Amy - and thanks for all your amazing support throughout the year! Good luck in 2nd year!!! :smile:
Original post by rhimair
Thank you Amy - and thanks for all your amazing support throughout the year! Good luck in 2nd year!!! :smile:

Hey, when you starting Marjon?

Hahaha you're cute! Thanks for all your help! Honestly you put me at ease so much when i was applying.

Hopefully not! I've had a mooch round the moodle site and two of our modules have posted timetables for term 1, no 830 starts so far :smile:
Original post by fayeowen90
Hopefully not! I've had a mooch round the moodle site and two of our modules have posted timetables for term 1, no 830 starts so far :smile:

How do you access the moodle? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest