The Student Room Group

Opting for universities with much lower entrance requirements than predicted

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
She has already applied and had her offers

Your expertise in this area is greater than mine but my view of thinking is that if she feels intimidated in these 2 she could possibly decline all offers and go through extra if she was to find a suitable place. Obviously it is a risk but by emailing the particular university first they might indicate whether the applicant would be successful. It is a fact that some are put off Exeter and to a lesser degree Warwick due to the perceived image of being white and middle class. Both take on around 30% private school students whereas places like for instance Lancaster have a very low private school intake.

It is just a thought that this maybe behind the reasoning although this is not necessarily the reason.

Also with the predicted grades it is likely most unis would welcome this student
Original post by swanseajack1
Your expertise in this area is greater than mine but my view of thinking is that if she feels intimidated in these 2 she could possibly decline all offers and go through extra if she was to find a suitable place. Obviously it is a risk but by emailing the particular university first they might indicate whether the applicant would be successful. It is a fact that some are put off Exeter and to a lesser degree Warwick due to the perceived image of being white and middle class. Both take on around 30% private school students whereas places like for instance Lancaster have a very low private school intake.

It is just a thought that this maybe behind the reasoning although this is not necessarily the reason.

Also with the predicted grades it is likely most unis would welcome this student

That is all true. I don't think finding a replacement university is the issue, though. I think it's the mindset which is the point, and that has to be changed by the girl herself. If she were willing to try somewhere else, these are indeed the mechanisms by which she could change. There must have been something about Warwick and Exeter which appealed enough to apply there in the first place, and we don't know that the girl isn't 'white, middle class and/privately educated' in any case. Her issue seems to be more to do with peer pressure/insecurity/image than anything to do with actual, real universities, and I suspect the same issues would arise wherever she went. As far as the OP is concerned, she appears to have done the right thing, indeed the only thing she can do in these circumstances without jeopardising the step-parent relationship, which is to advise and then back off.
If this student's school was not so keen on 'game playing' ie 'put your application in before the Oxbridge deadline to fool other universities you're applying for Oxbridge' (presumably assuming this is a good thing), she would have had more time.

I wonder why the student went along with that but isn't responsive to other 'aspirational' suggestions????
Original post by dirtmother
If this student's school was not so keen on 'game playing' ie 'put your application in before the Oxbridge deadline to fool other universities you're applying for Oxbridge' (presumably assuming this is a good thing), she would have had more time.

I wonder why the student went along with that but isn't responsive to other 'aspirational' suggestions????

This may be her little personal act of rebellion against a process of which she felt she had little ownership. The school would have assumed these were safety choices when in fact she always intended to go to one of them and not to Warwick or Exeter.
Original post by nulli tertius
This may be her little personal act of rebellion against a process of which she felt she had little ownership. The school would have assumed these were safety choices when in fact she always intended to go to one of them and not to Warwick or Exeter.

Inclined to agree.
Thanks for all the replies.

She's changed her mind and decided that Warwick is for her! :-)

She says she intends to put Warwick as her first choice and Royal Holloway as her insurance choice, although she is undecided on the second choice.

Her Dad and I are pleased and hope that she sticks with it.

As for being white, middle class and privately educated; she is white and her background is that she was entitled to free school meals for a time when she lived with her Mum because her Mum is on benefits but her Dad and I are in management jobs, so I am not sure what that technically makes step daughter! She has gone to a state school which was in special measures twice in her time there, and I know some universities also take this into account.

Her school does seem quite keen for them to apply to good universities though and I think both the school and we have been keen for her to aim as high as she is capable.
Original post by Mumfindinginfo
Thanks for all the replies.

She says she intends to put Warwick as her first choice and Royal Holloway as her insurance choice, although she is undecided on the second choice.

As for being white, middle class and privately educated; she is white and her background is that she was entitled to free school meals for a time when she lived with her Mum because her Mum is on benefits but her Dad and I are in management jobs, so I am not sure what that technically makes step daughter! She has gone to a state school which was in special measures twice in her time there, and I know some universities also take this into account.

Her school does seem quite keen for them to apply to good universities though and I think both the school and we have been keen for her to aim as high as she is capable.

Her choice; her decision; and another step on the road to adulthood.

Congratulations.
[QUOTE="Mumfindinginfo;60229935"]Thanks for all the replies.

Her school does seem quite keen for them to apply to good universities though and I think both the school and we have been keen for her to aim as high as she is capable.[/QUOTE
I am so glad that she has changed her mind. There are a number issues

Firstly she doesn't need to make her decision now. She can attend post application visit days and make her mind up by May. I would strongly encourage her to do this before making her definite decision

Secondly if she is in a contextual school her offer will be AAB from Exeter.

Thirdly Warwick, Exeter and Royal Holloway are all excellent unis. My son is at Exeter and an ex colleague's daughter went to Royal Holloway. Both are doing/have studied Maths.

Finally as far as the white and middle class thing goes. Exeter in particular has this reputation of being full of white, middle class students. This is far from the truth but it is possible this can sometimes influence people. This is why I mentioned it because Exeter and to a lesser degree Warwick can sometimes be daunting to other prospective students.

Anyway all is well that ends well and hopefully she will end up happy wherever she goes.
Reply 28
hmm for A*AA predictions i would've aimed for ABB unis the lowest! it is a bit low but oh well it's her choice right? she can always change her mind if she doesn't like it...
I'm predicted AAA and applied to universities that range from BBC-ABB. I did it because the universities are local. It's not abnormal to do so, maybe the competition for the universities with higher entry requirements puts her off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending