The Student Room Group

HELP! Dropping Subject Advice

Poll

Drop Law or Re Sit It?

Ok,

So I am a second year college student and am currently taking 4 subjects. I want to study law at uni. I'm in a really difficult position because last year in my AS', I messed up my law; It was a complete fluke (I got A's in every other mock and revised so hard but freaked in the exam) and got a D. This means I have to re sit. In my other 3 I got A A B and so obviously the logical thing (ish) to do would be to drop law. However, if I do; it will show on my UCAS application when applying for law. How much would this affect my chances of getting a space on a uni course? HELP; what would you do?
Reply 1
That's a tough situation if your thinking about the top top universities that may put you at a disadvantage however! keep in mind that there are people doing law degrees that never done the A level so really its not a problem plus you already have AAB so your fine. I'd say apply anyway, your UCAS application will show that your resitting the exam you got a D in.
Reply 2
Original post by nayana71
That's a tough situation if your thinking about the top top universities that may put you at a disadvantage however! keep in mind that there are people doing law degrees that never done the A level so really its not a problem plus you already have AAB so your fine. I'd say apply anyway, your UCAS application will show that your resitting the exam you got a D in.

Thank you; what I mean also though is that I kinda need to drop a subject to balance the workload; and my tutor thinks dropping law would be best...

What do you think?
Reply 3
Original post by abbbym
Thank you; what I mean also though is that I kinda need to drop a subject to balance the workload; and my tutor thinks dropping law would be best...

What do you think?

In your current situation, yes I would drop it, even if it shows on your ucas application, admission tutors cannot refuse your entry even if it was in the subject your applying to, because there are no specific subjects needed to study law I'm guessing what you cover in your A-level you will also cover in your first year of your degree so it doesn't matter whether you drop it or not, also they look at your top 3 grades and you have AAB which is amazing! so avoid the stress of having to retake along side your other exams at the end of the year and focus on getting those A's to A*s :smile:
Not sure on this , but surprisingly law at a-level isn't regarded highly at all. If someone were to do History or English , it would be much better when applying.
Reply 5
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Not sure on this , but surprisingly law at a-level isn't regarded highly at all. If someone were to do History or English , it would be much better when applying.

Other subjects that I study are English, History and Sociology; all of which I got A's or B's in...I'm concerned if I dropped law they would reject me because they would see the D on my UCAS application. What do you think?
Original post by abbbym
Other subjects that I study are English, History and Sociology; all of which I got A's or B's in...I'm concerned if I dropped law they would reject me because they would see the D on my UCAS application. What do you think?

Since it's not seen as being important , they probably wont mind. ( sorry not an expert)
A-level Law isn't a requirement (and oftentimes it's looked down on) to study law at university. I'd just focus on your other three subjects, and apply to universities that correspond to your predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Princepieman
A-level Law isn't a requirement (and oftentimes it's looked down on) to study law at university. I'd just focus on your other three subjects, and apply to universities that correspond to your predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think the universities seeing the D on my application and the fact that I dropped the subject would mark me down for that?

I feel like dropping law would be best but I don't want to ruin future oppurtunities
Original post by abbbym
Do you think the universities seeing the D on my application and the fact that I dropped the subject would mark me down for that?

I feel like dropping law would be best but I don't want to ruin future oppurtunities

No, the offers are based on 3 A-levels in most cases. The dropped subject won't have much of an effect on your otherwise decent results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending