The Student Room Group

Can a religion ever truly die out?

Just your general opinion, perhaps a few articles would be nice to back up your points? Let's debate!

Scroll to see replies

Ofcourse they have in the past and they will in the future.
Original post by GennyLion
Just your general opinion, perhaps a few articles would be nice to back up your points? Let's debate!

No people simply move from one religion to another.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Ofcourse they have in the past and they will in the future.

They do so through conquest. Basically Christianity and Islam converted or killed everybody of a different religion.
Reply 4
It depends. Christianity is very intertwined with European culture for it to be erased from Europe. Hinduism is regarded by most Indians as a culture of Indians, for it to die out most of Indian culture will need to vanish.
Inshallah
A religion, yes.
Religion in general, I'm not so sure.
A religion can. Religion itself will never die out and is a result of humanity's innate natural drive to find meaning in our existence and environment.

When a religion dies out it is replaced by another. See how Christianity declined in the West and was then replaced by the modern, egalitarian religion that is responsible for hundreds of millions of murders.
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
Inshallah

What does this mean again?
Original post by GennyLion

Definitely not. Humans will always be illogical and stupid. The fear of death is also another factor. I don't think any major religions will ever die out.
Original post by william walker

"God wills it"

hello
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
A religion can. Religion itself will never die out and is a result of humanity's innate natural drive to find meaning in our existence and environment.

When a religion dies out it is replaced by another. See how Christianity declined in the West and was then replaced by the modern, egalitarian religion that is responsible for hundreds of millions of murders.

Original post by Kittyboy
Definitely not. Humans will always be illogical and stupid. The fear of death is also another factor. I don't think any major religions will ever die out.

Agree entirely. The aetiology of religion runs quite deep in humans.
Reply 13
in my opinion, science backs up my religion in many aspects, ie pregnant women must do exercises to ease the process of delivering the baby, or when thunder strikes and the strike is reversed up to the sky,... etc

so i feel, as a scientist, that religions comes along with the science, and science is still in the process of developing upon what had the ancient people discovered. a good website to read the scientific miracles of Islam in English ( really good for philosophy homeworks as well :smile: )

kaheel7.com/eng
They do so through conquest. Basically Christianity and Islam converted or killed everybody of a different religion.

There are still followers of the ancient religions especially when you consider neo pagan faiths, the celtic and the norse pantheons are the most common but there are those who follow the greek and roman pantheons. And not always are these revivals the Seanchi of Ireland for instance have often kept alive the old religion even with the over burdening of catholocism.

Voodoo. Voodoo and Hoodoo are a *******isation of African pagan beliefs and the forced christianity

There are older religions out there, the native americans, the Austrailian Aborigines, south American faiths that are still followed, not in the same numbers of course but they certainly havent completely died out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EastGuava
PRSOM

i guess you owe me this :colonhash:
Original post by silverbolt
There are still followers of the ancient religions especially when you consider neo pagan faiths, the celtic and the norse pantheons are the most common but there are those who follow the greek and roman pantheons. And not always are these revivals the Seanchi of Ireland for instance have often kept alive the old religion even with the over burdening of catholocism.

They have no power. They don't matter. That is the real question of this thread. Will religion still have power.
They have no power. They don't matter. That is the real question of this thread. Will religion still have power.

Excuse me? Yes they do matter to those who follow them.
If it can, how can we know?
People are leaving religion more and more everyday so it's safe to assume that at some point religion itself will pretty much die out bar a few people.

Quick Reply

Latest