The Student Room Group

What are the symptoms of a bad turbo ?

Well, what are the symptoms of a bad turbo BEARING ?

I have been hearing a noise over recent weeks, when accelerating hard I hear a whine noise, disappears when car out of gear.

I'd never heard this noise before until a few months after a friend replaced the EGR valve and manifold for me and the turbo had to come off to do it, whilst turbo was off my friend told me there was play in turbo bearing, as it made sense to do it whilst turbo was off anyway he replaced the turbo bearing ( with one from a car salvage yard)
I hadn't had any noises or known of any problems with my turbo but just replaced it because he said there was play in it.

Then several weeks later I hear the whining noise and when engine is cold usually on idle and I accelerate I hear a faint siren noise, usually disappears when engine warms.

Oh, and I used to be able to hear a faint turbo whistle when accelarting on idle , now I don't think I can hear the turbo anymore ?
Reply 1
That sounds a lot like the compressor bearing in your turbo is going. The noise will get worse over time, you may experience flat spots in power and loss of MPG. Also possibly some more smoke than usual from the exhaust.

Turbos are a pain in the ass to repair right. Most garages just replace them.
Reply 2
Original post by CAElite
That sounds a lot like the compressor bearing in your turbo is going. The noise will get worse over time, you may experience flat spots in power and loss of MPG. Also possibly some more smoke than usual from the exhaust.

Turbos are a pain in the ass to repair right. Most garages just replace them.

Is the compressor bearing the same as a turbo bearing ?

I had no unusual noises or symptoms of a bad turbo before my ''friend'' replaced the turbo bearing. As I say, the only reason we replaced the turbo bearing was because the turbo was off anyway, he said as it had play on it it made sense to do it as turbo was off anyway during EGR change, he got part second hand from salvage car yard.

If it was the turbo can I buy a bearing or does it mean your best replacing the whole unit ?

Do you think he may have damaged it ?

I hope its not the turbo

Many thanks
Reply 3
They are pretty easy to damage if you dont get the alignment right. But I wouldnt jump to that conclusion. I would strongly recommend using new bearing parts as in my eyes using turbo internals from a salvage yard is a pretty bad idea.

To be honest though with all your other posts about this car I would stop spending money on it, cut your losses and dump it at auction or onto webuyanycar or something and get something else.
Reply 4
Original post by CAElite
They are pretty easy to damage if you dont get the alignment right. But I wouldnt jump to that conclusion. I would strongly recommend using new bearing parts as in my eyes using turbo internals from a salvage yard is a pretty bad idea.

To be honest though with all your other posts about this car I would stop spending money on it, cut your losses and dump it at auction or onto webuyanycar or something and get something else.

No. Never give these idiots ANY business.

If it's new enough they use what they buy to stock their car supermarket, if it's not they just **** it off down the auction - something you can do yourself if that's what you want to do.
Reply 5
Original post by JC.
No. Never give these idiots ANY business.

If it's new enough they use what they buy to stock their car supermarket, if it's not they just **** it off down the auction - something you can do yourself if that's what you want to do.

Meh they are good for hocking obviously broken motors. In my experience there assessors have no clue what they are actually doing and will take anything that starts,moves and has an MOT.

In all other cases I would agree with you, if the car LOOKS clean it will fetch more at auction.
I'm not sure quite what you mean by a siren noise, but noise from a rotating part that goes away as the engine warms up could indicate oil starvation when the oil is cold. In the case of a turbo, that's very bad news. Are you using the right grade of oil in your car?
Reply 7
Original post by CAElite

Why?

I've had this car several months and am commited to it, had timing belt done ( won't need doing now for good 3 years) gearbox and clutch done ( can relax knowing I won't have clutch or gearbox failure) , I have a full month's MOT, New tyres, New shocks, suspension arms e.t.c.
Then when a noise appears that may be the turbo you say get rid of it ????? What, get another car and possibly risk it all again ?! no thanks.

If it is the turbo and it turns out to expensive to fix I will buy a used or reconditioned turbo from Ebay, several on there for around £180 -£300
Reply 8
Original post by CurlyBen
I'm not sure quite what you mean by a siren noise, but noise from a rotating part that goes away as the engine warms up could indicate oil starvation when the oil is cold. In the case of a turbo, that's very bad news. Are you using the right grade of oil in your car?

Yeah, pretty sure as my mechanic does the oil for me although we haven't a car manual so he just uses what he thinks is best

If it is turbo and it is too expensive too repair I will buy a used or reconditioned turbo, you can buy them from Ebay at around £180- £300
Original post by I love life
Yeah, pretty sure as my mechanic does the oil for me although we haven't a car manual so he just uses what he thinks is best

If it is turbo and it is too expensive too repair I will buy a used or reconditioned turbo, you can buy them from Ebay at around £180- £300

To be honest your 'mechanic' doesn't sound too great. It's really not hard to find the correct specification of oil for a car (if all else fails look in the book at Halfords) but running the wrong oil can lead to turbo problems.
Original post by CurlyBen
To be honest your 'mechanic' doesn't sound too great. It's really not hard to find the correct specification of oil for a car (if all else fails look in the book at Halfords) but running the wrong oil can lead to turbo problems.

Thanking you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending