The Student Room Group

Fibromyalgia

Hi all.. I’ve recently seen a rheumatologist and they diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. I’m shocked to say the least!

I was previously a very active person.. running, kick-boxing, classes, weightlifting however due to mum duties over the last few years I have had to reduce this.

I’m just wondering how debilitating and bad it can get as you get older? I’m not convinced the diagnosis is even accurate so I’m going to see my GP.

I can’t imagine living in the pain that fibromyalgia has been described to cause!

Thanks in advance x
Symptoms vary for different people - there is nothing to say that you symptoms will progress or that they can't get better.

Out of interest, if you don't think the diagnosis is accurate, what do you think is going on?
Reply 2
Thanks for posting. The medical assessment was for an accident claim some years back that is still up in the air. They are trying to find out why I still have tenderness in certain areas. I have had children the last few years and have suffered severe pelvic girdle syndrome. I have basically lived with pain for the past 3 years but not only due to the accident so for them to attribute everything to that seems unjust! They also took it right back to the fact I had clicking hips at birth which apparently has contributed but I’ve not had issues with that at all since a baby. Yes the diagnosis makes my claim stronger but I think I’m just finding it hard to accept it. Definitely need a second opinion!

Quick Reply

Latest