The Student Room Group

What do you wish you'd known...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Butterfly92xo
A levels was a lot more but the essays were shorter words (500-1000 words). University is shorter but more words and complex.

Hmmm i think i'm fine with that.... i think i'd prefer writing more about little content than writing little about loads of stuff...

Original post by z33
Hmmm i think i'm fine with that.... i think i'd prefer writing more about little content than writing little about loads of stuff...

Sorry i mean university is longer essays
How easy life was whilst I was in GCSE. The good times...
I wish I'd know that I would be ok living on my own. I worried so much about it before I left, but once I got into the weekly routine I didn't have time to worry about it and ended up enjoying it :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by the terminator
How easy life was whilst I was in GCSE. The good times...

ikr :cry2: wish i could rewind to year 10...

Original post by Kanairee
I wish I'd know that I would be ok living on my own. I worried so much about it before I left, but once I got into the weekly routine I didn't have time to worry about it and ended up enjoying it :smile:

hmmm i'm scared to move out and live ON MY OWN
i'd be fine with a friend but on my own? idk - obv i'd do it if i had to but i don't really like the idea
Original post by z33
ikr :cry2: wish i could rewind to year 10...

hmmm i'm scared to move out and live ON MY OWN
i'd be fine with a friend but on my own? idk - obv i'd do it if i had to but i don't really like the idea

Ahh well when I moved to uni I didn't know anyone in the city of uni at all, so I ended up living with a bunch of strangers. But we're all really good friends already so I wish I hadn't worried about that. As for handling everything else, I really like food shopping for myself and once I'd got the hang of it laundry wasn't so bad either, and now I've picked up a job I have practically everything I need. Once you get into the swing of things it's really not as worrying as you might think :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by Kanairee
Ahh well when I moved to uni I didn't know anyone in the city of uni at all, so I ended up living with a bunch of strangers. But we're all really good friends already so I wish I hadn't worried about that. As for handling everything else, I really like food shopping for myself and once I'd got the hang of it laundry wasn't so bad either, and now I've picked up a job I have practically everything I need. Once you get into the swing of things it's really not as worrying as you might think :smile:

I'm glad it worked out well for you :biggrin: i don't mind the chores and responsibility but it's just i think i'd get super lonely :tongue: and i'm quite awkward around people i don't know lol
Original post by z33
I'm glad it worked out well for you :biggrin: i don't mind the chores and responsibility but it's just i think i'd get super lonely :tongue: and i'm quite awkward around people i don't know lol

It's so easy meeting people at uni. I went to uni not knowing single person and made friends super easily. Often, there'll be Facebook groups for various accommodation blocks at the uni you're going to, where you'll be able to find people you're living with and get to know them a bit before you properly move in.

Classmates are also another obvious way of making friends. I currently live with a couple of my coursemates and we get on really well, although I do remember the awkwardness of our very first class when we all met each other.

Most unis also have plenty of societies-the uni I'm at has over 300, so there'll definitely be something that catches your interest. I've been quite active in my uni's hip hop dance society and have met some of my best friends through it, despite being super shy at the start.

The thing about uni is you just have to throw yourself into it. Uni's so much better than school as it doesn't have the destructive claustrophobic atmosphere school has. Also, everyone will be in the same position as you, moving away from home on their own for the first time and meeting an entirely new set of people, but honestly, uni is such a massive step up in terms of school. It's honestly so much better and I don't want to graduate this year
Our students have shared their thoughts on this on our blog:

https://medium.com/student-life-at-the-university-of-northampton
Reply 49
Original post by super_kawaii
It's so easy meeting people at uni. I went to uni not knowing single person and made friends super easily. Often, there'll be Facebook groups for various accommodation blocks at the uni you're going to, where you'll be able to find people you're living with and get to know them a bit before you properly move in.

Classmates are also another obvious way of making friends. I currently live with a couple of my coursemates and we get on really well, although I do remember the awkwardness of our very first class when we all met each other.

Most unis also have plenty of societies-the uni I'm at has over 300, so there'll definitely be something that catches your interest. I've been quite active in my uni's hip hop dance society and have met some of my best friends through it, despite being super shy at the start.

The thing about uni is you just have to throw yourself into it. Uni's so much better than school as it doesn't have the destructive claustrophobic atmosphere school has. Also, everyone will be in the same position as you, moving away from home on their own for the first time and meeting an entirely new set of people, but honestly, uni is such a massive step up in terms of school. It's honestly so much better and I don't want to graduate this year

Ooooh that's really cool. It sounds exciting :biggrin: I'm so excited to go now hahaha before I was a bit skeptical but now I'm excited :3
hopefully i'll be fine - i guess i might as well throw myself into it but i'd probably walk in and sit in the corner all awkwardly and pretend to read something haha but hopefully that won't happen

i'll try to act confident :tongue: i'm glad you had fun :smile: ... thank you !
Original post by z33
Ooooh that's really cool. It sounds exciting :biggrin: I'm so excited to go now hahaha before I was a bit skeptical but now I'm excited :3
hopefully i'll be fine - i guess i might as well throw myself into it but i'd probably walk in and sit in the corner all awkwardly and pretend to read something haha but hopefully that won't happen

i'll try to act confident :tongue: i'm glad you had fun :smile: ... thank you !

Honestly, you'll be fine. Freshers week is the only time you can randomly go up to someone and be all "hi, let's be friends!". Everyone will be wanting to make friends so it'll be super easy to meet someone you click with. Even if you sit in the corner pretending to read, someone will come up to talk to you.

What are you applying for and where?
Reply 51
Honestly, you'll be fine. Freshers week is the only time you can randomly go up to someone and be all "hi, let's be friends!". Everyone will be wanting to make friends so it'll be super easy to meet someone you click with. Even if you sit in the corner pretending to read, someone will come up to talk to you.

What are you applying for and where?

Well my predicted grades aren't high enough to apply for the courses I wanna do (they want ABB minimum and I'm predicted BBB (got BBC at AS)) and to be honest I'm still unsure of what I wanna do - I was thinking Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry or Pharmacy... something to do with Chemistry though :3 but they all want ABB minimum and I wanna do the MSci if I was going to do Chemistry so I'd need AAB for that. There are some BBB unis but I don't like them.

I really wanna go to Brighton, but I wouldn't mind Manchester, Reading, Sussex or Hertfordshire if I had to. Obviously I'd like to go to UCL or KCL but that's never gonna happen hahaha. :tongue:
Reply 52
Went through practically the whole 3 pages and the last few posts were the most reassuring !
The thing that probably scares me the most when thinking about Uni is about not meeting anyone or not getting along with my roomates... It might seem ridiculous but I'm quite a shy and socially anxious kind of person, so that's why. ;p
But I'm also very excited about meeting new people and all that ! I'm like 50% scared, 50% excited. I can't image my first day at uni without freaking out, and jumping everywhere out of excitement at the same time xD
Original post by z33
Well my predicted grades aren't high enough to apply for the courses I wanna do (they want ABB minimum and I'm predicted BBB (got BBC at AS)) and to be honest I'm still unsure of what I wanna do - I was thinking Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry or Pharmacy... something to do with Chemistry though :3 but they all want ABB minimum and I wanna do the MSci if I was going to do Chemistry so I'd need AAB for that. There are some BBB unis but I don't like them.

I really wanna go to Brighton, but I wouldn't mind Manchester, Reading, Sussex or Hertfordshire if I had to. Obviously I'd like to go to UCL or KCL but that's never gonna happen hahaha. :tongue:

You'll find somewhere you like. I've heard for science courses, for the first two years, it's the same for both the Bsc and Msc and only at the end of 2nd year are you locked into a degree type, so it might be possible to apply for the BSci then change when you're at uni, depending on your grades there.
Reply 54
Original post by z33

Oh, too bad for your grades :frown: But couldn't you get in even if you don't have the 'proper' grades ? With like an outstanding personal statement, or an essay...?
Chemistry is super cool :biggrin:
I know a looooot of people who went to Brighton, apparently it is super great !
I visited Reading's University last month ! I quite liked it :3
Reply 55
Original post by lbonnet
Oh, too bad for your grades :frown: But couldn't you get in even if you don't have the 'proper' grades ? With like an outstanding personal statement, or an essay...?
Chemistry is super cool :biggrin:
I know a looooot of people who went to Brighton, apparently it is super great !
I visited Reading's University last month ! I quite liked it :3

Uuuugghhhhhhhh I really wanna go to Brighton it's so beautiful - both the place and the university itself. I haven't been there myself personally but I've seen pictures and my friends have been and I'm going soon to visit so I'll pop in there and check it out but I realllllllyyyy wanna go haha. Chemistry is really cool! #favouriteScience ... well physics comes close but i cant do physics so ... haha

Idk i think i'll take the gap year anyway because i need that break rn but I might do the whole maths A level during my gap year (it would be 1 subject so it shouldnt be tooooo bad) because there's gonna be a lot of maths and i don't wanna die in uni. I can't even work with fractions (no idea how i got a B at gcse tbh :tongue:)
Reply 56
You'll find somewhere you like. I've heard for science courses, for the first two years, it's the same for both the Bsc and Msc and only at the end of 2nd year are you locked into a degree type, so it might be possible to apply for the BSci then change when you're at uni, depending on your grades there.

Hmmm yeah that sounds like a good idea i'll take it into consideration and read up about it. Makes sense too. If I do chemistry, i'm doing ALLLLLLL the forensics science modules :biggrin: I always wanted to do forensics science as a kid (mostly cos of law and order haha) - i though it was really cool but my teacher said you can't really find jobs after... she said her friend was a forensics scientist but is now a manager at thorpe park.
Reply 57
Original post by z33
Uuuugghhhhhhhh I really wanna go to Brighton it's so beautiful - both the place and the university itself. I haven't been there myself personally but I've seen pictures and my friends have been and I'm going soon to visit so I'll pop in there and check it out but I realllllllyyyy wanna go haha. Chemistry is really cool! #favouriteScience ... well physics comes close but i cant do physics so ... haha

Idk i think i'll take the gap year anyway because i need that break rn but I might do the whole maths A level during my gap year (it would be 1 subject so it shouldnt be tooooo bad) because there's gonna be a lot of maths and i don't wanna die in uni. I can't even work with fractions (no idea how i got a B at gcse tbh :tongue:)

Brigton is so popular xD Yeeesss chemistry !! I don't like physics that much though, it is a bit too abstract or I don't know... I just prefer chemistry :tongue:

Yeah the gap year is so necessary rn. Oh good idea ! You'll be super ready for uni after that o/
Original post by lbonnet
Went through practically the whole 3 pages and the last few posts were the most reassuring !
The thing that probably scares me the most when thinking about Uni is about not meeting anyone or not getting along with my roomates... It might seem ridiculous but I'm quite a shy and socially anxious kind of person, so that's why. ;p
But I'm also very excited about meeting new people and all that ! I'm like 50% scared, 50% excited. I can't image my first day at uni without freaking out, and jumping everywhere out of excitement at the same time xD

I was really shy when I started uni and I've suffered from anxiety for 10 years but getting to uni was the best thing that's ever happened. The day I first moved in couldn't come soon enough. I rarely got drunk in first year, but still made really good friends. It's impossible not to, considering just how big university is.
Reply 59
Original post by z33
... before starting university?

What IS university?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending