The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, I'm a 2nd year linguistics student looking to study my SLT postgrad at sheffield. I'm new to this as I've only recently discovered the field due to my grandmother's recent dementia diagnosis, and was wondering what kind of stuff I need to do to ensure my successful enrolment on this course. :biggrin:
Reply 4001
Original post by catbakerx
Hey guys! Just wondered if anyone could help me, I've just graduated with an english degree with a 2.2 and was looking to apply for a speech and language uni course (bcu and mm idealy) but my a levels are a bit naff... Would I need to undertake an access course or would my degree suffice as it's kind of relevant? All my a levels are art related also so no biology :frown: I have a gcse in it however... Really want to be considered but not sure how to go about it and would really appreciate some advice if possible! Many thanks im advance!

Contact the admissions tutors and see what they say, they have the final word so you'd definitely get a definitive answer!
Hi all, apologies if this has already been posted (but if so then I cannot find it!). I have a specific question re funding. I've been calling around but can't find info on whether the NHS still funds post grad speech and language therapy (QMU) for Scottish students. How does it work? Do you have to apply via the NES allied health professionals website? Does anyone know if it was funded last year?

Thanks so much for any info.
Original post by arneldfad
Hey guys, I'm a 2nd year linguistics student looking to study my SLT postgrad at sheffield. I'm new to this as I've only recently discovered the field due to my grandmother's recent dementia diagnosis, and was wondering what kind of stuff I need to do to ensure my successful enrolment on this course. :biggrin:

Hi :smile:

I'm a SLT graduate, take a look at my YouTube channel for videos about all things SLT: www.youtube.com/user/felicitysplayonwords
Hi everyone :smile:

Just to remind you that I have a YouTube channel with videos all about applying for SLT etc.

www.youtube.com/user/felicitysplayonwords

Just uploaded some new videos about personal statements and interviews, so please take a look :smile:
Original post by kitkat1001
Hi all, apologies if this has already been posted (but if so then I cannot find it!). I have a specific question re funding. I've been calling around but can't find info on whether the NHS still funds post grad speech and language therapy (QMU) for Scottish students. How does it work? Do you have to apply via the NES allied health professionals website? Does anyone know if it was funded last year?

Thanks so much for any info.

I don't know about the post grad, but I study the undergrad Speech Therapy at Strathclyde - I get funded through the NHS via SAAS if that makes sense, so I apply to SAAS for my tuition fees, despite being classified as English. The NHS site is only used for England and Wales - Scotland has its own weird system. I'd email the department at QMU and see what they say - if you're classified as Scottish it should be pretty easy to find out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,
I am considering pursuing a career as a speech therapist and recently attended a stroke support group for people with Aphasia. I have written a blog post about my experience if anyone fancied having a read!
Also if anyone has any other suggestions about work experience for SALT, I would be really grateful for any advice!
Thank you!
https://thousandnotesoneinstrument.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/a-trip-to-the-aphasia-cafe/
Original post by ruthie_nuggetty
Hi all,
I am considering pursuing a career as a speech therapist and recently attended a stroke support group for people with Aphasia. I have written a blog post about my experience if anyone fancied having a read!
Also if anyone has any other suggestions about work experience for SALT, I would be really grateful for any advice!
Thank you!
https://thousandnotesoneinstrument.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/a-trip-to-the-aphasia-cafe/

I'm 1st year at BCU. Primary Schools / nurseries are a good place to get some experience. There are often children who are in need of additional help, so I found that schools were very happy to have a volunteer.
Good luck.
How's everyone finding first year? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Butterfly9595
How's everyone finding first year? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I'm having a great time! The course is great, the lecturers are lovely... It is pretty heavy-going though (which is to be expected!) - particularly Anatomy & Physiology (I barely scraped through AS Biology so - as you can probably imagine - I've been getting pretty frustrated at times!!!), but I'm starting to get my head around it (at least, I hope I am!!!). I'm really looking forward to getting into placement/observational placement next semester. It'll be great to see how some of the things I've been learning about are implemented into clinical situations/put into practise.

But, so far so good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rhimair
Hi! I'm having a great time! The course is great, the lecturers are lovely... It is pretty heavy-going though (which is to be expected!) - particularly Anatomy & Physiology (I barely scraped through AS Biology so - as you can probably imagine - I've been getting pretty frustrated at times!!!), but I'm starting to get my head around it (at least, I hope I am!!!). I'm really looking forward to getting into placement/observational placement next semester. It'll be great to see how some of the things I've been learning about are implemented into clinical situations/put into practise.

But, so far so good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good good, glad to hear it's going well! Yeah placement is amazing, consolidates everything you learn and is really motivating if nothing else :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really love DMU, I'm already on placement and while it's pretty intense I absolutely adore it!

I also love Leicester! Such an amazing city - I definitely made the right choice
Hey guys :smile: i was wondering what the interview at sheffield is like? :smile:
Reply 4013
Can i ask for opinions on Reading and Marjon ? I like both of them at the moment.
Original post by tcrj
Can i ask for opinions on Reading and Marjon ? I like both of them at the moment.

Hi, I'm at Marjon so obviously my post's going to be a bit biased, but Reading was initially where I wanted to go to study SLT (but got an alternative offer). The course at Marjon is great and the lecturers are lovely - they definitely have time to answer any questions/queries you have. There's also a nice mix of mature students and school leavers which I find really nice!

One thing that drew me towards Marjon when I applied last year was the additional dysphagia content, which isn't currently offered by any other uni. Although I don't know yet whether or not I want to work with individuals presenting with dysphagia once I qualify, the extra module(s) are there if I decide to go down that route.

The campus at Marjon is a lot smaller than Reading (A LOT smaller!!!) which is both a positive and negative thing - I think Reading is definitely more diverse and has a lot more in terms of bars etc. on campus. One thing I do find is that it gets pretty quiet at weekends at Marjon - but I suppose that's the same at a lot of unis, and there's plenty to do in the city itself! :biggrin:
Original post by JordanC55
I really love DMU, I'm already on placement and while it's pretty intense I absolutely adore it!

I also love Leicester! Such an amazing city - I definitely made the right choice

Hi I applied to DMU, really want to go to Leicester. What were your predicted grades if you dont mind, I am a bit worried as my predicted grades fall slightly below the entry requirements. I have applied for the non-comissioned course at DMU because I have 300 points with a B in Psychology and Biology and a C in english literature and 20 points from the AS subject I dropped. I have emailed the university and they said they use ucas tarriff points from AS subject if I apply for the non-commissioned one. How was the interview like? Hoping to hear back from you soon.

Thank you
Hey guys :smile: whats the interview at city of london like?
Original post by cherry16
Hi I applied to DMU, really want to go to Leicester. What were your predicted grades if you dont mind, I am a bit worried as my predicted grades fall slightly below the entry requirements. I have applied for the non-comissioned course at DMU because I have 300 points with a B in Psychology and Biology and a C in english literature and 20 points from the AS subject I dropped. I have emailed the university and they said they use ucas tarriff points from AS subject if I apply for the non-commissioned one. How was the interview like? Hoping to hear back from you soon.

Thank you

Hey, I dunno if you're still needing the help.

I wouldn't worry about entry requirements too much, with a strong personal statement and the right attitude you will be fine! They base it very much on the individual. The interview was fine, it's broken up into a few rooms and each one is based on a different topic so like an academic one, situational one etc. just remember everyone why you want to do slt, what qualities an slt needs eg caring, reliable ect. You will be fine.

Any more questions hit me up and I'll try and help
Guys I have an interview at Manchester soon! What's the interview like? :smile:
Hi! I have an interview at Leeds Beckett soon, I'm so nervous!! Has anyone had their interview yet and can anyone offer any advice?? 😁

Quick Reply

Latest