The Student Room Group

Can you tell someone's sexuality by their interests?

What? No. You can make assumptions all you like but I honestly do not know how taking PE indicates a sexual interest in women. There are tonnes of gay sportsmen.

Scroll to see replies

Can you tell someone's sexuality by their interests?

What? No. You can make assumptions all you like but I honestly do not know how taking PE indicates a sexual interest in women. There are tonnes of gay sportsmen.
Wow, we still have live sheep who think like that.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
If you're in my position you would probably have the same mentality as me at the moment, I adore him a lot and just hope that there's a chance somewhere :frown:

No, I wouldn't. I am gay myself and I hate people thinking interests in various things are signs of your sexual preferences. I don't see how an interest in History over football would make you gay, or an interest in fencing over horseriding would make you straight. It's ridiculous.
Nothing.
Yes, if they are a guy and interested in dick they are gay. If female and interested in pussy then lesbian.

Posted from Ye Olde TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I like taxidermy and climbing, also football.
Reply 6
Original post by OllieTheManski
Yes, if they are a guy and interested in dick they are gay. If female and interested in pussy then lesbian.

Posted from Ye Olde TSR Mobile

I laughed way too hard at this.
Reply 7
yeah I know it's a shallow assumption but how else can I identify his preferences if i'm too scared to ask?

You can't unless it is conveyed literally.
I have an idea about whether my crush is straight or gay but i'm not sure, so what do you guys think? He takes PE A level, which i assume is quite masculine, he takes physics, yet again another ''typical'' male/masculine subject. He plays the guitar...etc from this, what can you gather about his sexuality?

yeah true gay guys are into dancing ballet, maybe singing, modelling, you can tell but they voice, do they check out guys???
yeah I know it's a shallow assumption but how else can I identify his preferences if i'm too scared to ask?

You can't. So you will never know unless you ask - you have to ask. Just ask him out. If he's gay then he'll tell you and be flattered. No biggie.
The fashion industry apparently has a disproportionate percentage of gay male employees, but that's no solid indicator of sexual preference.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by DavidMIliband
yeah true gay guys are into dancing ballet, maybe singing, modelling, you can tell but they voice, do they check out guys???

Some of the world's best ballet dancers are not gay. Some of the best artists the world has known are not gay. Some of the most highly respected models are not gay.

You talk ****.
Reply 12
Original post by Dinklebop
The fashion industry apparently has a disproportionate percentage of gay male employees as well.

That says nothing about anything. So many fashion designers - Tommy Hilfiger, Donatella Versace, Roberto Cavalli, etc - are not gay.

Edit: I saw your edit. Good save.
Reply 13
i did ballet and im straight so no
Unless you straight up ask him or he tells you, there's no way to know for sure
I have an idea about whether my crush is straight or gay but i'm not sure, so what do you guys think? He takes PE A level, which i assume is quite masculine, he takes physics, yet again another ''typical'' male/masculine subject. He plays the guitar...etc from this, what can you gather about his sexuality?

Absolutely nothing.

Also, bisexual (as well as pansexual, asexual and other sexualities) is something that some people are.

If you want to ask him out, ask him out. If you don't want to ask him out then accept you may never know and move on.
Well judging by the list that you've provided, I can gather that you're a moron.
You can't gauge sexuality from people's interests. Straight people are very much in the majority though. It's usually a safe bet to assume somebody's straight unless you're told otherwise.

Original post by SmallTownGirl
Also, bisexual (as well as pansexual, asexual and other sexualities)
plz no there's more now?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Retired_Messiah
You can't gauge sexuality from people's interests. Straight people are very much in the majority though. It's usually a safe bet to assume somebody's straight unless you're told otherwise.

plz no there's more now?

Please don't assume anyone's sexuality.

What's wrong with someone finding a word they feel fits them?
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Please don't assume anyone's sexuality.

What's wrong with someone finding a word they feel fits them?

If I assume a girl is straight and ask them out, they'll most likely go "sorry I'm a lesbian", I'll say something along the lines of "Oh ok that's cool I didn't know sorry" or words to that effect and it'll be chill. I find no issue

When tumblr people (it's never anybody else let's be honest) come up with random new words for every little thing they deliberately alienate themselves from normal folk when another word that already exists would most likely work perfectly fine for them. For example demisexual is the most pointless term ever conceived and should not be treated as an orientation that's separate from the whole straight/gay/bi/asexual thang.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending