The Student Room Group

American needs UCAS help (really bad!)

Hello all!

I'm having a couple of problems with the UCAS, and I would be overjoyed if anyone had any advice for me.

1) Why does it need me referee's phone number and address?? Will they call and interview my referee?? In the US it is standard to just input an email, so I'm a bit confused. I have no idea how to ask my teacher for this information. Seems a bit absurd haha.

2) Should I input all of the classes I've taken and the grades that I've got into the education section? ie non-AP classes.

3) If I took the SAT at schools/test centres that I did not attend for school, should I put them under that school in the education section? Like, if I attend Leaf high school but took the SAT at Flower high school, should I put Flower high school on my app? Sorry this is a bit confusing!

4) Do I include tests that I haven't yet taken in the education section? I am planning to take SAT subject tests mid-december, but I'm hoping to submit my app ASAP.

**bonus: I feel like my personal statement is a bit crap. Is it normal to hire a tutor or something to help read through it? Haha. I just want to stick with the standard here.

Sorry for all the questions! I'm super unfamiliar with this and I don't have any adults that are able to help me fill it out. I am swimming in anxiety about this.

I really appreciate it!
Reply 1
1) There is a chance that they will call up your referee, they don't tend to do it for those applying in the UK as far as I'm aware though, so they might not for you
2) Don't know
3) Not sure but if you got given the results by Leaf High school then I would put them down
4) If you haven't taken exams yet you put them as 'pending' on UCAS and then the date you are going to sit them so for you that would be December 2015

For my personal statement I got my parents to read through it and my subject tutor to read it (applied for Accounting and Finance so had my economics teacher read and check it)

Good luck! Sorry that I couldn't answer all of your questions
Reply 2
Original post by c_98
1)
Good luck! Sorry that I couldn't answer all of your questions

Thank you so much! :smile: I appreciate the help!
Original post by gluee
**bonus: I feel like my personal statement is a bit crap. Is it normal to hire a tutor or something to help read through it? Haha. I just want to stick with the standard here.

Sorry for all the questions! I'm super unfamiliar with this and I don't have any adults that are able to help me fill it out. I am swimming in anxiety about this.

I really appreciate it!

Some private/grammar schools give their students an inordinate amount of help with their personal statements but most of us just get friends, family or teachers to read through it and tell us what they think. :smile: Don't post it on the Internet though; UCAS has a very sophisticated plagiarism checker that basically checks your personal statement against the entire Google archive to see if there's much similarity and if it turns out that a lot of it is plagiarised, your universities are unlikely to make you offers.

Don't worry about getting your application in ASAP -- the UCAS deadline is 15 January 2016, so you have plenty of time to iron out the kinks. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gluee
Hello all!

I'm having a couple of problems with the UCAS, and I would be overjoyed if anyone had any advice for me.

1) Why does it need me referee's phone number and address?? Will they call and interview my referee?? In the US it is standard to just input an email, so I'm a bit confused. I have no idea how to ask my teacher for this information. Seems a bit absurd haha.

2) Should I input all of the classes I've taken and the grades that I've got into the education section? ie non-AP classes.

3) If I took the SAT at schools/test centres that I did not attend for school, should I put them under that school in the education section? Like, if I attend Leaf high school but took the SAT at Flower high school, should I put Flower high school on my app? Sorry this is a bit confusing!

4) Do I include tests that I haven't yet taken in the education section? I am planning to take SAT subject tests mid-december, but I'm hoping to submit my app ASAP.

I really appreciate it!

Hi, I'm an American using UCAS as well :smile:

1) They did not call my referee, I think it's just a way to validate whoever you put down for your referee. It was a bit awkward asking my teacher, but she gave it to me no problem. You'll put in the teacher's email address so UCAS will send them a link where they can submit your reference.

2) No, I did not do this because that would be too many classes to list. Also, the classes will be listed when you send your transcripts. I would list only AP or IB classes.

3) No, only put the schools that you actually attended. I only included my high school, not my middle and elementary school.

4) I would if you wanted to, but especially if you plan to use subject tests to gain admission instead of AP tests. However, if you are applying using subject tests instead of APs it might be best to wait until you get your subject tests results back so you can list them and know what universities you are or are not qualified for.

5) I didn't think my personal statement was anything special either, but I had my mom read over it. I suggest looking at sample personal statements for the subject you are applying for. However, the admissions people know you aren't from the UK so I think they might give you a little more wiggle room

So far, I I've had an offer from Sheffield for International Relations and Politics. What are you applying for?
Original post by gluee
Hello all!

I really appreciate it!

Yes you do include tests you haven't taken yet- you put the results as pending and your referee gives a prediction. As far as the personal statement goes, its normal for a school teacher to look over an applicants personal statement if they are still at school.
Original post by gluee
Hello all!

I really appreciate it!

Whatever UCAS want then give them the infomation as it is for your benefit.
On 3. List any school you've taken exams through. If the school was just an exam and no teaching then list it as part time attendance just for the months of the exams. UCAS won't allow you to list two schools with full time attendance for the same period of time.
Reply 8
Original post by gluee
Hello all!

I really appreciate it!

1) they may or may not. And most likely won't

2) No only AP/SAT as its the only qualification they will recognize as ''uk'' universities.

3) contrary to the answer above include all point worthy exams you will have to provide a center number, however as its not in the uk you need the year you took it and the grade if applicable. You will get points based on your results the more UCAS points the better.

4) Yes do include upcoming AP/SAT as you will be given a place based on your prediction. They need to know the level you are working at.

--From a uk student.. I did my best
Reply 9
Original post by Hydeman

Don't worry about getting your application in ASAP -- the UCAS deadline is 15 January 2016, so you have plenty of time to iron out the kinks. :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile:
I'm hoping to have one of my teachers look over it just to make sure that it isn't absolutely horrible!
Reply 10
Original post by ShelGroo
Hi, I'm an American using UCAS as well :smile:

1) They did not call my referee, I think it's just a way to validate whoever you put down for your referee. It was a bit awkward asking my teacher, but she gave it to me no problem. You'll put in the teacher's email address so UCAS will send them a link where they can submit your reference.

2) No, I did not do this because that would be too many classes to list. Also, the classes will be listed when you send your transcripts. I would list only AP or IB classes.

3) No, only put the schools that you actually attended. I only included my high school, not my middle and elementary school.

4) I would if you wanted to, but especially if you plan to use subject tests to gain admission instead of AP tests. However, if you are applying using subject tests instead of APs it might be best to wait until you get your subject tests results back so you can list them and know what universities you are or are not qualified for.

5) I didn't think my personal statement was anything special either, but I had my mom read over it. I suggest looking at sample personal statements for the subject you are applying for. However, the admissions people know you aren't from the UK so I think they might give you a little more wiggle room

So far, I I've had an offer from Sheffield for International Relations and Politics. What are you applying for?

Ah thank you so, so much! This was incredibly helpful. You have helped to ease a lot of my panic ahahah! My teacher ended up being totally fine with giving me his information, and I finally finished the rest of the app. Still plodding along trying to edit my personal statement, though. Seriously, thank you so much for answering all of my questions!

Wow, congrats on getting an offer already! Hopefully many more to come :smile: International relations and politics sounds fantastic! I'm applying for English and Japanese, but my choices for schools are sprinkled all over the place as so few offer Japanese language. Hopefully things will work out!

Thank again!
Reply 11
Original post by jgjog3
1) they may or may not. And most likely won't

2) No only AP/SAT as its the only qualification they will recognize as ''uk'' universities.

3) contrary to the answer above include all point worthy exams you will have to provide a center number, however as its not in the uk you need the year you took it and the grade if applicable. You will get points based on your results the more UCAS points the better.

4) Yes do include upcoming AP/SAT as you will be given a place based on your prediction. They need to know the level you are working at.

--From a uk student.. I did my best

thank you! this was super helpful :smile:
Reply 12
Thank you so much to everyone! All that's left on my app now is my personal statement. I feel a weight lifted off of my shoulders now that I've resolved all of these kinks. <3
Original post by gluee
Ah thank you so, so much! This was incredibly helpful. You have helped to ease a lot of my panic ahahah! My teacher ended up being totally fine with giving me his information, and I finally finished the rest of the app. Still plodding along trying to edit my personal statement, though. Seriously, thank you so much for answering all of my questions!

Wow, congrats on getting an offer already! Hopefully many more to come :smile: International relations and politics sounds fantastic! I'm applying for English and Japanese, but my choices for schools are sprinkled all over the place as so few offer Japanese language. Hopefully things will work out!

Thank again!

No problem! Good luck on finishing your personal statement :smile: I'm sure your offers will start rolling in as soon as you submit your application :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending