The Student Room Group

Not feeling safe in London Uni

The Paris attacks have made me think London could be the next city to be attacked, and I really don't want to move back to uni halls now (currently at home for the weekend). I think all people in London want to spend as little time there as possible in the coming weeks/months
Keep calm and carry on.

There is no particular reason that now is a more dangerous time to be in London than any other. If anything, it will be safer. There has just been a massive attack across the channel - the security services here will be working overtime.
Original post by Dreammachine1997
The Paris attacks have made me think London could be the next city to be attacked, and I really don't want to move back to uni halls now (currently at home for the weekend). I think all people in London want to spend as little time there as possible in the coming weeks/months

Talk to your student Union im sure a lot of people will feel just like you are and theyre there to support you
If you feel really unsafe just avoid places like big ben, london eye and such
(edited 8 years ago)
Keep calm and wear a burka.

I think Keep Calm and Carry On is the best advice.

Remember that if your grandparents or great-grandparents lived in London during the War, they lived their lives knowing that they would be bombed that day.
Keep a sword under your bed and carry on.
No one feels safe during the war. Just avoid crowded places.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When in doubt, go to crowded areas for extra protection.
apparently London is next.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubblegumcat
apparently London is next.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you interning at ISIS or GCHQ?
I know you must be feeling anxious but unless your uni/the police/government say that evacuation/some sort of extra precaution is needed then there's nothing to worry about. Stay strong, don't let it ruin your time at uni :smile:
i agree with one of the posters above.

Try to avoid crowded places....
(edited 8 years ago)

Were you near Gatwick?

Be afraid, very afraid....
Debating whether to not go into uni this week...don't think I can handle the anxiety of the tube at rush hour

I'm a Londoner living in London and it is business as usual for me. I got on the tube the day after 7/7, didn't phase me in the slightest. I will be back on the tube on Monday (next time I need to use it). There are security services working round the clock to protect us, London hasn't been attacked for over 10 years and the chance of dying in a terrorist attack is still a lot smaller than say, being knocked over by a car or through serious illness. Maybe make sure you can travel with someone to uni those first few days back?
Reply 15
Original post by nulli tertius
I think Keep Calm and Carry On is the best advice.

Remember that if your grandparents or great-grandparents lived in London during the War, they lived their lives knowing that they would be bombed that day.

"You have already rated a post by this user recently!"

Oh, stop being so damn sensible!!!
Reply 16
Debating whether to not go into uni this week...don't think I can handle the anxiety of the tube at rush hour

I've felt like that about the underground for 20 years. Smelly, filthy, cramped, full of pickpockets, beggars and perverts. Never knowing whether you'll get to your destination in time or even at all or just end up in A&E after being mugged.

What's so different now?
Reply 17
I live in London. If it happens, it happens. It will eventually. Just be smart and avoid tourist-y areas.
Original post by Simes
I've felt like that about the underground for 20 years. Smelly, filthy, cramped, full of pickpockets, beggars and perverts. Never knowing whether you'll get to your destination in time or even at all or just end up in A&E after being mugged.

What's so different now?

And in my 23 years of living in London and using the tube the worst that has happened to me on the Tube is being delayed.
Original post by nulli tertius
Are you interning at ISIS or GCHQ?

apparently there was a tweet about it...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending