The Student Room Group

AMGEN Scholar Applications Summer 2016

Hey guys,
So I was just wondering if anyone here is applying for any of the EU or Japan AMGEN scholar summer studentships? Or anyone who has taken part in them in the past? I just want as much info as possible and thought this would be a good place for anyone applying to discuss (as I haven't found any threads explicitly about it).
Hi yeah I'm thinking of applying for Cambridge. I'd like to know the sort of grade expectations as well as the application process like what the essay title is? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Caketin1995
Hi yeah I'm thinking of applying for Cambridge. I'd like to know the sort of grade expectations as well as the application process like what the essay title is? :smile:

Wow I didn't even know there was an essay! Where did you find that out? I think I'm going to apply to all of them to be honest as I'm just desperate to do one and want to increase my chances (the programme has a pretty low acceptance rate I believe). I think the grade expectations are probably high 2:1/1st? Just a guess but I would think that's what they mean by 'be able to demonstrate a strong record of academic performance'.
Reply 3
Hi everybody!
I was thinking about applying for Cambridge as well, but I have a doubt: do you think that a past, unsuccessful application for Amgen Scholar hinders in any way a second application?
I mean, if a young student with a poor CV tries and is rejected and the following year, having some more experience, he tries again, will he be penalized because it seems he is just trying at random, in your opinion?
Thanks for the advice!
Reply 4
Original post by LFFFF
Hi everybody!
I was thinking about applying for Cambridge as well, but I have a doubt: do you think that a past, unsuccessful application for Amgen Scholar hinders in any way a second application?
I mean, if a young student with a poor CV tries and is rejected and the following year, having some more experience, he tries again, will he be penalized because it seems he is just trying at random, in your opinion?
Thanks for the advice!

Got this straight from the website (as long I assume, as you still have a year left of your degree after the summer in which you'd do the programme but you need to check that):
'If I am not selected this year, can I apply again?
Yes. As long as you continue to meet the eligibility criteria, you can certainly apply again'
Reply 5
Original post by anniedink
Got this straight from the website (as long I assume, as you still have a year left of your degree after the summer in which you'd do the programme but you need to check that):
'If I am not selected this year, can I apply again?
Yes. As long as you continue to meet the eligibility criteria, you can certainly apply again'

Hi! Thank you for your reply, my question was more about informal guidelines: is there anybody who failed once and was taken the following year? or is it more likely to be a "one shot" opportunity?
I mean, I see that it is legitimate to try again, but should I apply only once I have a (more) solid cv?
Has anyone heared back from any of the sites in Europe or Japan . Either an interview or offer ?
Reply 7
Original post by RoryTinker
Has anyone heared back from any of the sites in Europe or Japan . Either an interview or offer ?

Hi,

I haven't heard anything yet. I applied just to the Karolinska. I looked at some of the other European sites, all of them just say notifications by the middle of April, apart from Munich LMU which said:

'Offers will be sent before April 6th, 2016.

Important dates for 2016 applicants:

First deadline for accepting offers: April 1st, 2016

Final deadline for accepting offers: April 6th, 2016 at noon CET' so they have sent out theirs it seems.

Hopefully that helps. Let me know if you hear anything or have heard. :-)
Reply 8
Has anyone heard anything from karolinska yet? I want to know if I definitely haven't got it so I can start making summer plans 😕

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending