The Student Room Group

Architecture 2016 Entry Applications and Offers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Hi guys, When did u receive the UCL intv for Feb? When did u submit your portfolio? Thanks!
Original post by zzdevzz
I have an interview for UCL on the 9th aswell :biggrin: You got any idea how long that additional personal statement is meant to be?

I'm not quite sufe either but I'm assuming we just have to fill in the space that is given in the form attatched on thr email they sent us 😂
Original post by hongwai
Congrats, guys! May I ask when you submitted the task for UCL and when u receive the notice for the intvs in Feb? Thanks!

I sent the UCL task early November and they got back to me 2 months later but might be quicker this time since Christmas holidays are over
Anyone apply to Liverpool, Northumbria or Sheffield ? If so can you let me know how long they took to respond to request a portfolio request and also what the portfolio request was so that I can start thinking about each if I am lucky enough to be asked to send a portfolio...
Original post by Sean5Star
Hi All,

I have just had a portfolio request from Manchester School of Architecture which reads.....

Select your strongest work, and try to lay out your portfolio so that it is really easy to look through. Do not forget to clearly label each piece of work with itsproject title. Your portfolio must include:
a) A 450 word(in total) statement discussing why you want to study architecture at MSA; your own review of a recent exhibition or building that you have visited; a statement about your favourite architect or building; and a work of architecture which you would like to experience in person.
b) 10-12 images to include the following examples sketches at a city scale, a landscape, an interior, a building or landscape you would like to visit. You may also include examples of photography; fine art/painting; graphic design; photos of artefacts that you have created if you wish.

Anyone else done/doing this and want to discuss, share thoughts of what MSA are looking for? Reading above about UCL storyboard and conceptual drawing do you think I should apply that to the MSA task or are MSA looking for something else? Also have not heard from Sheffield, Liverpool or Northumbia yet - any indications from others as to what their timelines and portfolio requests are likely to be so that I can get thinking about them and managing my expectations?

Would be really grateful for some pointers.....

Hello,

I have done the Manchester task and they have lowered their offer for me. I got offered AAB rather then AAA. I was really aurprised by it. Here is the link to my blog I have done for them.

I also got accepted to Sheffield (AAA) but I do not have my task on me at the moment (sorry). But I will be happy to help you if you have any questions) hope it helps
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys, got an interview at UCL. has anyone already had their interview? how was it and any advice? really nervous haha and also, if you any of you had the interview, what kind of pieces did you bring along to the interview?
Original post by lizzyday
Hello, I sent off my UCL task over a month or so ago, I had an interview last week and have received an offer.
My task was 6 drawings on one A4 sheet each, using the whole of the space in my drawings, these were then brought up at interview, and my thought processes and 'storyboard theme' was asked about then. I think that they are just looking for a range of techniques and materials, showing a good example of your skills .
Let me know if you want to know anything else. 😊

Any tips and advice for the UCL Interview? I have mine on Feb 9th, really nervous about what they will ask. Any help will be great thanks
Reply 327
Original post by Sean5Star
Anyone apply to Liverpool, Northumbria or Sheffield ? If so can you let me know how long they took to respond to request a portfolio request and also what the portfolio request was so that I can start thinking about each if I am lucky enough to be asked to send a portfolio...

Hey so i heard from Northumbria the day after i applied and they asked for my portfolio immediately, they gave me 10 working days to submit my portfolio(20 images and it must be a pdf version) to their portal. They also provide information about what they want in their portfolio but i didn't find it much help! Good Luck!
Well done to you...ouuchh that is a quick turn around - need to be prepared....I will wait patiently...
Original post by AndyB_97
Hello,

I have done the Manchester task and they have lowered their offer for me. I got offered AAB rather then AAA. I was really aurprised by it. Here is the link to my blog I have done for them. Hope it helps. http://1144270164.blogspot.co.uk

I also got accepted to Sheffield (AAA) but I do not have my task on me at the moment (sorry). But I will be happy to help you if you have any questions) hope it helps

Wow thanks for this really appreciate this - just heard from Sheffield today to submit portfolio - so would love to see yours if possible?
Reply 330
Original post by galanacci
I sent the UCL task early November and they got back to me 2 months later but might be quicker this time since Christmas holidays are over

Thanks, Galanacci! Good luck for your interview! Seems like it's taking them longer now to respond to the tasks since others got theirs earlier....
Reply 331
Interview on the 11th for UCL!! :biggrin: It's my favourite by far so so happy!! (sent off task on the 11th of November)
If anyone has already had an interview, could you let me and others know who have received them - of their types of questions perhaps?
Also I was wondering as to what length the further personal statement should be?
Congrats to all those who received them!!
Original post by lizzyday
Hello, I sent off my UCL task over a month or so ago, I had an interview last week and have received an offer.
My task was 6 drawings on one A4 sheet each, using the whole of the space in my drawings, these were then brought up at interview, and my thought processes and 'storyboard theme' was asked about then. I think that they are just looking for a range of techniques and materials, showing a good example of your skills .
Let me know if you want to know anything else. 😊

Hi, can you please give your opinion on a few things regarding the task:

Are you only allowed to chose one technique or can you use both if one is predominant? (Pencils/ink) What if you use some drops of watercolor? :biggrin:

Can you use colored pencils?

Can you use any form of ink? Copic Markers count? In fact, what do they refer to when they say ink?

Are colored sheets of paper permitted?

Can you also write on the drawings?

What do you mean by "the whole of the space"?:colondollar: I am quite confused as I have not seen anything like that in the task?

Thank you in advance!and Good luck! :smile:
Original post by cowie
Interview on the 11th for UCL!! :biggrin: It's my favourite by far so so happy!! (sent off task on the 11th of November)
If anyone has already had an interview, could you let me and others know who have received them - of their types of questions perhaps?
Also I was wondering as to what length the further personal statement should be?
Congrats to all those who received them!!

11th of feb or jan?
Reply 334
Original post by zzdevzz
11th of feb or jan?

February:smile:
Is anyone going to Manchester taster for arch on Tuesday? 19th of Jan?
Original post by Urbanpink
Hi, can you please give your opinion on a few things regarding the task:

Are you only allowed to chose one technique or can you use both if one is predominant? (Pencils/ink) What if you use some drops of watercolor? :biggrin:

Can you use colored pencils?

Can you use any form of ink? Copic Markers count? In fact, what do they refer to when they say ink?

Are colored sheets of paper permitted?

Can you also write on the drawings?

What do you mean by "the whole of the space"?:colondollar: I am quite confused as I have not seen anything like that in the task?

Thank you in advance!and Good luck! :smile:

I didnt have a clue also but i believwd in myself and my gut feeling of creating a story that shows progression; visually through my drawing techniques and the actual story that i made up. Make sure your task stands out and i did that by cutting the A4 paper and sticking it on another A4 to give depth and just to stand out really. But im not sure if you can use coloured paper nor coloured pens or pencils. So i suggest stick to black and white.

And i got an interview by doing so, hopefully i helped 😂
my advice to you is. Be unique but don't risk it. my task was let's say 70% imaginary. I only used a black byro pen and really the purpose of it was for my style. Think about the task, it wanted 3 x 5 minute drawings. Most used pencil which is fine for what they wanted as their main 'purpose'. I used byro because I thought it would look really nice in 5 minute sketches all rough and 'sketchy'.

In terms of materials, they said they wanted only pen / black ink and/or pencils. Im not sure if people used both pencil and pen but mine was strictly byro. They said they wanted it on a clean white paper so i don't think colour pages are allowed.

Can you write on the pages? I used a little bit of typography on the drawings them selves so it fit in with the artwork. Around 3-4 words per piece that was actually incorporated in the work. I myself, and a few others that I know sent a 7th page. It stated my UCAS Number - name etc. and then let's say a small paragraph explaining my ideas. Not something as big as half a page or small as one sentence. But something short and sweet so they can understand your piece a bit more when they read that. I think this could be a make / break situation. Since my idea was very 'abstract' and related more to me than than my surrounding + architecture. However when i writ that small paragraph, it gave it a huge sense of belonging.

"The whole of the space" is something you must think about. I used my 'mind' as the whole of my space, like I drew parts of imaginary places / moods I was in, and i stated that in the small paragraph. My idea was more imaginary and "conceptual" rather than the detailed "physical". This is something I think is really important to have. Know what your main idea / purpose is and find different ways to explore that. This task is meant to be natural and get you involved as it's basically a storyboard about YOU. I drew my mind in a storyboard, whilst when i was at a westminister interview. Someone drew the daily routine from the perspective of the bike, and how his bike was always in the big picture. But there was so many things going on. I found this idea really interesting and unique and it's not something people would normally do. It also contributed to the "whole of the space" in such a simple yet effective way. His main idea was the perspective from his bike. And it inspired his whole storyboard and it turned out amazing,

Best of luck for you, I wish i could show you mine but I don't feel comfortable sending it around on the studentroom since 1) I had to work for it myself 2) I don't want a lot of tasks inspired by mine where they all turn similar.

Let me know how it goes :smile:
Original post by sophiewillis1
Is anyone going to Manchester taster for arch on Tuesday? 19th of Jan?

Can anyone go or is it just for those with offers?
Original post by AndyB_97
Hello,

I have done the Manchester task and they have lowered their offer for me. I got offered AAB rather then AAA. I was really aurprised by it. Here is the link to my blog I have done for them.

Hey do you have a link for your blog portfolio? ?? And congrats on both offers!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending