The Student Room Group

How do you revise?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alice_98
How do you stay motivated?

I just think of something that motivates me. For example, I want to go to Oxford, so I need the best grades possible, the harder I revise the better chance I have :tongue:
Original post by Chazshepp
Interesting :smile: What's the method of loci? Haven't heard of that one before

Have you watched Sherlock? Imagine a more realistic version of the mind palace.

You take a place you know well (or can visualise well) and create images.

Example: I need to remember that there's three types of court cases, summary, indictable, and triable either way, and the kind of offences associated with each. The image I memorise is a chair in a room in my house with the letters 'SIT' glowing on it.

S=summary case, such as speeding.
I=indictable case, such as murder.
T=triable either way case, such as theft.

Mactotaur sits on the chair - M, meaning that every court case starts in the Magistrates' Court.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Mactotaur
Have you watched Sherlock? Imagine a more realistic version of the mind palace.

You take a place you know well (or can visualise well) and create images.

Example: I need to remember that there's three types of court cases, summary, indictable, and triable either way, and the kind of offences associated with each. The image I memorise is a chair in a room in my house with the letters 'SIT' glowing on it.

S=summary case, such as speeding.
I=indictable case, such as murder.
T=triable either way case, such as theft.

Mactoron sits on the chair - M, meaning that every court case starts in the Magistrates' Court.

Wow, very interesting! I never knew I could have my own mind palace! :biggrin:
Wow, very interesting! I never knew I could have my own mind palace! :biggrin:

It's not something Sherlock came up with, it's been used since at least Ancient Greece.
Reply 24
Original post by alevelpain
I just think of something that motivates me. For example, I want to go to Oxford, so I need the best grades possible, the harder I revise the better chance I have :tongue:

That's a great motivator! I'm currently for my A2's and I've got my uni offers but I just aren't as motivated as I used to be :frown: I wish I was as determined as you!
That's a great motivator! I'm currently for my A2's and I've got my uni offers but I just aren't as motivated as I used to be :frown: I wish I was as determined as you!

What offers did you receive? You have to keep trying to get in xd
Reply 26
What offers did you receive? You have to keep trying to get in xd

I got offers from Surrey, Kent, Bournemouth, Roehampton and Oxford Brookes. Surrey is my favourite, although I need to get the grades ABB to get in :smile:
I got offers from Surrey, Kent, Bournemouth, Roehampton and Oxford Brookes. Surrey is my favourite, although I need to get the grades ABB to get in :smile:

There's a really good motivation xd
How long do you revise for each day before exams? And what are your favourite revision techniques and tips to stay motivated?

I listen to music while revising. I also do something called "passive revision" where I try to keep things fresh in my mind by casually slipping them into conversations. For example, I was walking to my aunt's wedding and I was relating that to the equation for respiration, and when I'm shopping, I shop in Spanish to brush up on some vocabulary. When it comes nearer to the exam, (2-3 weeks away), I switch to "active revision" which is the more traditional revision with past papers and books and stuff.
Reply 29
There's a really good motivation xd

I know, I should be motivated by it but I'm still slacking and procrastinating :frown: I get stressed by the amount of work I have to do and then I end up not doing anything xD
Just take a placebo. Pretend you don't know!
Make posters, flashcards, i sit down with my textbook and go through a couple pages a night and make notes in a notebook :smile:
How do you stay motivated?

Going to a library during exam period will answer your question. Seeing everyone working to get good grades will make you sit your arse down and join them.

Even now on Saturdays the libraries tend to be full because people realise how much crap they'll be in August if they don't start learning their content.
Interesting :smile: What's the method of loci? Haven't heard of that one before

To stay motivated make a revision timetable with breaks

Quick Reply

Latest