The Student Room Group

where to apply postgraduate (Nottingham Trent or Surrey or Cardiff )

Guys I need you help in this, Am International student looking forward to apply for postgraduate in Information Security so far I am confused between Nottingham Trent or Surrey or Cardiff or any other recommendation ?

I would be thankful for your help.
Original post by Johneddy
Guys I need you help in this, Am International student looking forward to apply for postgraduate in Information Security so far I am confused between Nottingham Trent or Surrey or Cardiff or any other recommendation ?

I would be thankful for your help.

Surrey and Cardiff have the best reputations. Trent is pretty bad tbh.

Personally, I would go for Surrey.
Cardiff is a Russel Group, which has more importance when it comes to undergrads.
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Surrey and Cardiff have the best reputations. Trent is pretty bad tbh.

Personally, I would go for Surrey.

I swear if Cardiff was an English uni it'd have more respect, I swear people get turned off back it's in Wales:
Original post by Twinpeaks
I swear if Cardiff was an English uni it'd have more respect, I swear people get turned off back it's in Wales:

True. But unfortunately it isn't and Wales is pretty deprived after all.

Your comment the Russell Group is quite misleading though. The RG is simply a collection of Universities that have pooled their resources together to attract more research funding. Has little to nothing to do with undergraduate education. If anything, it is more relevant to postgrads because they're the ones engaging in research.

Unless of course you are referring to the RG as a term synonymous for 'prestige' in the UK. In that case I do understand your point of view. Even then however, most RG Unis simply feed off of the prestige of Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Imperial. If they were to leave, the RG would be nada.

Surrey is equally, if not more reputable than Cardiff, despite not being an RG.
True. But unfortunately it isn't and Wales is pretty deprived after all.

Your comment the Russell Group is quite misleading though. The RG is simply a collection of Universities that have pooled their resources together to attract more research funding. Has little to nothing to do with undergraduate education. If anything, it is more relevant to postgrads because they're the ones engaging in research.

Unless of course you are referring to the RG as a term synonymous for 'prestige' in the UK. In that case I do understand your point of view. Even then however, most RG Unis simply feed off of the prestige of Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Imperial. If they were to leave, the RG would be nada.

Surrey is equally, if not more reputable than Cardiff, despite not being an RG.

The post is asking about post-graduate positions?? That's why I actually said Russell Group has more importance than in undergrad courses. Surrey is not more respectable than Cardiff, not if you factor out your prejudice to Wales at least.

And plus, Cardiff is a much better place to live, much more going on OP.
(edited 8 years ago)
The post is asking about post-graduate positions?? That's why I actually said Russell Group has more importance than in undergrad courses. Surrey is not more respectable than Cardiff, not if you factor out your prejudice to Wales at least.

And plus, Cardiff is a much better place to live, much more going on OP.

RG has more relevance to postgrad, if you're talking about the actual purpose of the group.

Well you can't exactly factor out a Universities location :biggrin:
I can tell you that Nottingham is an amazing city if you're into night life and things to do. Can't say that Trent has the best rep, however, so if you're more concerned about the academic side of things, then maybe look elsewhere :smile:
RG has more relevance to postgrad, if you're talking about the actual purpose of the group.

Well you can't exactly factor out a Universities location :biggrin:

Cardiff as a city is not deprived, better than Surrey.
Cardiff as a city is not deprived, better than Surrey.

nah fam it's full of sheep nd stuff init
nah fam it's full of sheep nd stuff init

Rather sheep than immigrants tho M8.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending