The Student Room Group

find it difficult to form good relationships.. i feel so depressed.

(edited 7 years ago)
Sweetie listen, your worth more then that guy and the first thing you need to do is get rid of him. Nothing is wrong with you, you sound very smart and friendly, stop letting people drag you down. Why can't you travel?
See the world, your 22 you are grown up and you can do as you please. It may seem as though people are really popular and have so many friends but that's not always true. Have you joined society's or clubs? What course are you studying? Is there an option of studying abroad. If you still feel down consider making an appointment with a counselor or doctor? Just as someone to talk to. You can message me anytime you want.
Original post by AimeeGleek123
Sweetie listen, your worth more then that guy and the first thing you need to do is get rid of him. Nothing is wrong with you, you sound very smart and friendly, stop letting people drag you down. Why can't you travel?
See the world, your 22 you are grown up and you can do as you please. It may seem as though people are really popular and have so many friends but that's not always true. Have you joined society's or clubs? What course are you studying? Is there an option of studying abroad. If you still feel down consider making an appointment with a counselor or doctor? Just as someone to talk to. You can message me anytime you want.

thank you so much for your advice :smile:
it's complicated.. my parents are religious and over-protective.. they obviously don't trust me enough. :/
my main issue is with not having real friends, and letting this guy use me.. i have so many regrets and it's making me so depressed.

thanks anyway! xx
Reply 3
What do you mean your parents won't let you apply to a different uni for your Masters? You're 22! You are legally allowed to do whatever you want.

I'd cut that guy out of your life, he's clearly using you and you deserve better. We all have regrets and make mistakes, the worst thing you can do though is sit around feeling sorry for yourself and living in the past. What's done is done, you don't want to be saying the same thing in 5 years time, so time to change some things! Say bye to the guy, join some clubs or societies, move uni for your Masters and learn to be more independant without your parents consent. I understand it's a religious thing, but you're a grown ass adult now and it's your life. You can't live your life as they want you to.
Original post by forever_confused
thank you so much for your advice :smile:
it's complicated.. my parents are religious and over-protective.. they obviously don't trust me enough. :/
my main issue is with not having real friends, and letting this guy use me.. i have so many regrets and it's making me so depressed.

thanks anyway! xx

You are old enough to make your own decisions. GO. Live your life the way you want not the way your parents want.Join clubs outside of uni, volunteer somewhere. (Charity shop, school).
I'm 22 and i'm at uni, but i feel like i don't have any real friends.
I'm not anti-social.
i've always wanted a group of friends, i get so jealous when i see girls hanging out together.
instagram has made me even more depressed tbh, everyone seems to be so popular and have so many friends. i feel like i have no-one to talk to.
i do have friends, but they're not people i would consider true friends...

i feel like maybe there's something wrong with me? i find it difficult to form good relationships.
about 9 months ago i started seeing this guy, we got on really well, we used to talk all the time but each time we'd meet up we'd end up doing sexual related stuff :/ i then realised that this obviously isn't a proper relationship and it's all my fault. i let him use me. i let him take my virginity and i feel so stupid. he'll only text me like once a month. the last time i met up with him i asked him if we're friends with benefits and he said yeah i guess so..
i'm really good at hiding my emotions, i'll act like i'm fine and chilled out but obviously i'm not. i am upset, but i just don't know how to tell him. he clearly doesn't want to be in a relationship with me.

i've made so many mistakes, and i have so many regrets. i just want to go back in time.
i hate university so much.
my parents won't even let me apply to a different city for my masters. i just want to get away and travel and meet new people. but i'm not allowed.
my parents, especially my mum, have become more religious as they've gotten older.

does anyone have any advice?
is it a good idea to take anti-depressants?
thank you x

Step 1 get rid of social media like instagram and facebook OR realise that those people youre seeing "enjoying" themselves also have problems in their life. You are only looking through a very tiny tiny section of their life and a lot of people just post stuff to try and approve themselves socially and pretend to have some kind status.

What is important is that you find good genuine friends who will be there for you....not these narcissistic instagram posting hoes. Don't overthink it :smile:

With regards to the guy dump him ASAP he is just taking advantage of you to be honest and I know youre better than that! Out there you will find a good guy who will appreciate you and take care of you so dont worry. Life is about learning from your mistakes and creating new experiences. Finish your degree first and then go travelling wherever you want X
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Katarvi
What do you mean your parents won't let you apply to a different uni for your Masters? You're 22! You are legally allowed to do whatever you want.

I'd cut that guy out of your life, he's clearly using you and you deserve better. We all have regrets and make mistakes, the worst thing you can do though is sit around feeling sorry for yourself and living in the past. What's done is done, you don't want to be saying the same thing in 5 years time, so time to change some things! Say bye to the guy, join some clubs or societies, move uni for your Masters and learn to be more independant without your parents consent. I understand it's a religious thing, but you're a grown ass adult now and it's your life. You can't live your life as they want you to.

it's easier said than done though.. i live with my parents so i have to live by their rules :/
Original post by trapking
Step 1 get rid of social media like instagram and facebook OR realise that those people youre seeing "enjoying" themselves also have problems in their life. You are only looking through a very tiny tiny section of their life and a lot of people just post stuff to try and approve themselves socially and pretend to have some kind status.

What is important is that you find good genuine friends who will be there for you....not these narcissistic instagram posting hoes. Don't overthink it :smile:

With regards to the guy dump him ASAP he is just taking advantage of you to be honest and I know youre better than that! Out there you will find a good guy who will appreciate you and take care of you so dont worry. Life is about learning from your mistakes and creating new experiences. Finish your degree first and then go travelling wherever you want X

thanks for your advice :smile:

i let him use me though, so i can't really blame him tbh.. it's weird. i'm so stupid!
i just don't know how to tell him :/

i wish i could go travelling! but my mum doesn't think it's safe or necessary. and my parents don't trust me -__-
thanks for your advice :smile:

i let him use me though, so i can't really blame him tbh.. it's weird. i'm so stupid!
i just don't know how to tell him :/

i wish i could go travelling! but my mum doesn't think it's safe or necessary. and my parents don't trust me -__-

just stop speaking to him when he texts....and start ignoring him! He will get the message :tongue:

Don't worry about the travelling now....focus on finishing your masters first! Then perhaps you can have a little side job on the weekends or something where you can save up for your journey (once you've accumulated enough then just go...youre old enough to make your own life decisions don't let your parents stop you :tongue: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending