The Student Room Group

Is having older friends really a problem?

Because sometimes, I really feel judged because of this. (ie, last night)

I've always struggled to make friends my own age because I don't share their interests and have ended up joining clubs in order to make new friends. At every club I've joined, (apart from one or two, I think) everyone has been much older than me. For me, that's not a problem.

Anyway, I found myself in a difficult situation with one of them (it was a misunderstanding over something which led to me having to apologise and explain a few things) and I asked for advice on FB. I then mentioned that he was much older (both of us are aware of this fact, although, up until last year, he wasn't aware of how old I was) and one of my friends didn't appear to be overly happy over with this and assumed (very wrongly) that he was after something.
There's nothing wrong with it at all! Few of my friends are the same age as me and as long as you get on well then just get on with it and be friends with them, screw what everyone else says.
Nothing wrong with this. Most of my friends are older. I moved out at 16 and so tend to find I don't often have much in common to people in their late teens or early 20s who still live at home.

How did he react when you mentioned he was older?
Reply 3
It depends on how old you are. If anything, just be careful.
Reply 4
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
How did he react when you mentioned he was older?

I don't think I explained that properly. He thought I was a bit younger and was a bit surprised when I said I was a bit older. He's never hidden how old he is.

Like you, I find that I have virtually nothing in common with people my own age.
Original post by Tiger Rag
I don't think I explained that properly. He thought I was a bit younger and was a bit surprised when I said I was a bit older. He's never hidden how old he is.

Like you, I find that I have virtually nothing in common with people my own age.

Oh okay, I see!

Well I'm generalising.

Why do you think it might be a problem?

I will add that while it's not problematic having older friends, being at least casually acquainted with those closer to your own age can be advantageous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending