The Student Room Group

Should i pick philosophy at A levels even though i am a muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Disgusting that you would not study something for fear that it would prove that you're beliefs are wrong. Absolutely disgusting. That closed mindedness is the greatest source of problems that humanity inflicts on itself.
Reply 81
Original post by popo111
Yeah, lets hope that you've moved on and acknowledged the minor significance of those weird images 'mate'.

Anyway, adios.

goodbye kid ...
Original post by TeeEm
goodbye kid ...

Ha, sweet naive user.
Original post by popo111
You do realise that I was referring to this thread only, you cannot say that the religion is afraid of an A Level subject because one user has concerns about their faith in God...

I almost certain that it is taught in Muslim countries...

It would be nice to pretend that was true but, unfortunately, it isn't. Even though Islam does explicitly encourage critical thinking, in fact it implies the tragic consequences of doing so, hence implicitly discouraging it.

Anyway, you're judging an entire religion on the followers?:bricks:

What judgment did I make about Islam? The fact the it is afraid of a subject? It is afraid in the sense I explained above.
Original post by Absent Agent
It would be nice to pretend that was true but, unfortunately, it isn't. Even though Islam does explicitly encourage critical thinking, in fact it implies the tragic consequences of doing so, hence implicitly discouraging it.

What judgment did I make about Islam? The fact the it is afraid of a subject? It is afraid in the sense I explained above.

I would like evidence for this statement from a reliable source.
your religion is obviously paper thin if you're thinking this :lol: "maybe I shouldn't study philosophy because getting more knowledge about religions will make me reject religions!". if you're admitting that knowledge will make you into a non-muslim, why not just admit the logical conclusion, which is that your religion is not worth belief?

generally, studying philosophy and ethics at a level made me into a strong atheist when I was formerly an agnostic - but that's not a bad thing - I'm conceding that it made me thinking correctly, not incorrectly. changing your opinions is good if it is in response to being thoughtful. being thoughtful isn't being indoctrinated, e.g. religion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by popo111
I would like evidence for this statement from a reliable source.

The Koran is the evidence. What does it say about non-believers? What is the consequence of not believing in a God?
Original post by Absent Agent
The Koran is the evidence. What does it say about non-believers? What is the consequence of not believing in a God?

We aren't discussing non believers here...

You said essentially said that Islam states that there are consequences of having an education (the A level subject). Now please provide evidence for this statement.

I hope that you realise that asking a question isn't considered evidence
Original post by popo111
We aren't discussing non believers here...

You said essentially said that Islam states that there are consequences of having an education (the A level subject). Now please provide evidence for this statement.

I hope that you realise that asking a question isn't considered evidence

We are not discussing non-believers, but the consequence of being one, unless you are not following what I'm saying.

I have copied my words and I will paste it here again

It wasn't a question to be answered as I assumed that you already know the answer. In fact, you don't even need to study Islam to know what it has to say about non-believers.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Disgusting that you would not study something for fear that it would prove that you're beliefs are wrong. Absolutely disgusting. That closed mindedness is the greatest source of problems that humanity inflicts on itself.

Steady on, mate
Original post by StrangeBanana
Steady on, mate

It is closed mindedness that stops empathy. It is the cause of most crime, lots of international conflicts. Greed, megalomania and so on.
Original post by TorpidPhil
It is closed mindedness that stops empathy. It is the cause of most crime, lots of international conflicts. Greed, megalomania and so on.

It's the reason why particular Muslims show no hesitation at the act of cutting off the head of a helpless person in front of them in a matter of seconds.

Yeah, that's probably true

Getting all huffed about it at a 15 year old kid who was just asking about his A-level choices don't do any good, though
Original post by StrangeBanana
Yeah, that's probably true

Getting all huffed about it at a 15 year old kid who was just asking about his A-level choices don't do any good, though

Why doesn't it? The fact of the matter is that such attitudes shouldn't be tolerated in the slightest. I don't give a **** if the person with them is young or not. It's ridiculous. It's like someone who genuinely doesn't see why beating up everyone who annoys them is not the proper way to live. It's that stupid. So no tolerance of it should be accepted at all imo.
Reply 93
I think a lot of you are misunderstanding my question or perhaps i haven't phrased it properly. Any how, let me clarify, it's not the doubting of my faith that is preventing me from choosing the subject, it's the possibilty that the topic: philosophy of religion may actually change my mindset. The fact is i believe in islam and i know that any doubt i would have i would find the answer to in the koran. However, i am doubting the strength of my faith as i'm unsure whether it is strong or weak. So if i were to ever become athiest or attain an athiest mindset it would devestate my current self. There are 4 topics in the As/A2 level. Epistemology, philosophy of religion, philosophy of the mind and ethics. The philosophy of religion doesn't actually interest me but the other 3 topics do.
Not sure about A-level but in philosophy of religion you can find some pretty good arguments for God.
Reply 95
Original post by thefatone
but it's shouldn't destroy your faith(depending on how strong it is).

Putting faith ahead of logic is such postmodern nonsense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by The Assassin
Not sure about A-level but in philosophy of religion you can find some pretty good arguments for God.

Such as?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by champ_mc99
Doesn't matter if you're Muslim. Do a REAL subject.

Bad idea. If your uni course isnt subject specific then its best to do easy subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tillich/Whitehead's argument for transtheism / process theism
Gale & Pruss cosmological argument
FT by Collins et al
5 ways by Aquinas (the second way specifically)
Duns Scotus cosmontological argument (as Kant called it),
Spinoza's argument in the Ethics

doesn't mean they're all successful but they're all very well-reasoned
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 99

I'd appreciate it if you don't try provoke a debate about Gods existence as that's not what this thread is about and it doesn't help me with my question.

Quick Reply

Latest