Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing my gcse's and i plan to do philosophy, psychology, economics and business studies at A level. However, despite my interest in philosophy i am quite worried about if it would break my islamic faith. I'll be honest, i don't actually follow the religion. I don't pray, i commit sins and so on but i am happy being a muslim but i am concerned as to whether the theories and questions of god's existence will destroy my faith.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zed1_.)
    I am currently doing my gcse's and i plan to do philosophy, psychology, economics and business studies at A level. However, despite my interest in philosophy i am quite worried about if it would break my islamic faith. I'll be honest, i don't actually follow the religion. I don't pray, i commit sins and so on but i am happy being a muslim but i am concerned as to whether the theories and questions of god's existence will destroy my faith.

Thanks.
    Well, I did R.S. at GCSE and I believe in God. We studied arguments for and against the existence of God, and I found it really interesting. However, to this day (I'm doing my A2s) now, I still believe in God

ReputationRep:
    I've got Muslim friends who told me that they never expected how mind blowing arguments against God were when they picked philosophy lol

ReputationRep:
    Im muslim and did A level philosophy i was literally 2 raw marks off an A (regret not getting a remark). Its such an easy subject which allows you to put more effort into your potentially harder alevels. Its super interesting and will really "open your mind" for the better or worse lol. Also, do you believe in islam or are you sort of just tagging along?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    420 blaze

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Dude/gal just do what you want. Currently as one of my AS levels are philosophy and in the religious side of the course there are both arguments for and against Gods existence but it's shouldn't destroy your faith(depending on how strong it is).

ReputationRep:
    If your dogma can't even stand up to A-level levels of scrutiny, it isn't worth adhering to.

ReputationRep:
    Never fear education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fernando sucre)
    Im muslim and did A level philosophy i was literally 2 raw marks off an A (regret not getting a remark). Its such an easy subject which allows you to put more effort into your potentially harder alevels. Its super interesting and will really "open your mind" for the better or worse lol. Also, do you believe in islam or are you sort of just tagging along?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do believe in islam. I don't follow the religion because i was raised into or something. I truly believe in it.

ReputationRep:
    Muslims are not allowed to think by themselves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    Dude/gal just do what you want. Currently as one of my AS levels are philosophy and in the religious side of the course there are both arguments for and against Gods existence but it's shouldn't destroy your faith(depending on how strong it is).
    Please list the arguments for God existence.

ReputationRep:
    How do you define "faith"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    (please not i'm not religious or atheist)
    So far the ones i have learnt of are
    Teleological arguments
    Cosmological arguments
    Ontological argument

Currently doing Miracles

(i may have missed 1 or 2 topics)

ReputationRep:
    wtf kinda ******** is this?

you're scared to think bc it might break your faith?
    what are you? a chicken?

we humans are made to think - we're made to question and explore and study and find logical reason behind everything
    we can't just live like sheep
    this is coming from a Muslim

honestly it acc depresses me that people think like this... that you feel like you should just live under a rock bc you're scared it might break your faith
    makes it sound like it's not strong in the first place anyway

ReputationRep:
    I would only not recommend it as it was hard and not as engaging as other subjects that I did at a-level. Ended up with a 'c' in it. Why not politics, which will make you more aware of the country you live in and your rights as a citizen (I presume)?
    EDIT: Also it will not make u question your faith as the philosophy taught was from a Christian perspective and therefore not anti-belief in God or the argument of creation (that God created the universe).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Why do you have to try to turn this into a religion vs non religion argument?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly its a good subject to do which will open up your mind and give you a different perspective on things.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    I did philosophy as an A Level and I find it impossible to see how after looking at the arguments against God in such detail, how anyone can believe in God. it should be a good thing to challenge your beliefs in an evidence based way.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter if you're Muslim. Do a REAL subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alldayniqqa)
    Why do you have to try to turn this into a religion vs non religion argument?
    It's a philosophy thread, I ask the questions I want.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.