The Student Room Group

Best workouts for abs/ass

Basically I don't mind my figure generally as I'm quite petite and have a good metabolism thanks to my mother's side but I'd like to tone up my abs a bit more and work on making my ass bigger. Any suggestions as to what I should do to target these areas specifically or classes I should attend (I prefer classes to the actual gym)?

I currently go to a metafit class (HIIT training) and a kettle bells class every week as well as Pilates twice a week.

side note: I have quite strong thighs (unfortunately thanks to my mother's side) so I'm concerned doing too many squats will make them even bigger.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the_wallflower
Basically I don't mind my figure generally as I'm quite petite and have a good metabolism thanks to my mother's side but I'd like to tone up my abs a bit more and work on making my ass bigger. Any suggestions as to what I should do to target these areas specifically or classes I should attend (I prefer classes to the actual gym)?

I currently go to a metafit class (HIIT training) and a kettle bells class every week as well as Pilates twice a week.

side note: I have quite strong thighs (unfortunately thanks to my mother's side) so I'm concerned doing too many squats will make them even bigger.

Thanks!

Have you thought about a yoga class? If you go to an advanced one then they can be quite a workout and are good for toning without concentrating on building more muscles if you're worried about that on your thighs :smile:
heavy squats and deadlifts

good abs is about having low bodyfat

Thanks!

Squats and lunges are good for toning the bum.... There's lots of different types of squats and lunges which you will want to make use of all the muscles, so do look them up. Try to do pulses, as well as sets. Add some weights in too. Another things is to run backwards on a cross trainer!

It's hard to isolate your glutes from your thighs to be honest as you can't really move your bum without moving your legs in someway... I'm petite too and I was concerned about mine getting bigger but they have only really got more shapely and I have a slight thigh gap now where my inner thighs are curving inwards.

As for abs there's Russian twists, planks, dumbbell front squats, overhead crunches with weights (my faves), heel touches, leg raises, side bends with weights and many more! I recommend looking up some youtube vids to see some exercises and try them out to see what is best for you. The problem with abs though is they usually won't show unless you get to a very low body fat percentage for a woman. For me personally I don't want to go too low for fear of losing my bust and my monthly cycle as this happens to me when I go less than 95lbs, although my tummy does look awesome. So I have a trade off and focus more on oblique definition which shows easier, at least on my body.
If you're dead set on not training your thighs and just your glutes (ass muscles), then stiff-legged deadlifts, weighted glute kickbacks and weighted hip thrusts will help.
Squat til your eyes bleed
I do stretching, curl up, push ups and some jog.
Thanks everyone
Reply 8
SQUAT! Squats are also probably the best thing you can do if you want abs, especially front squats.

Try hip thrusts (start off with glute bridges then progress to weighted hip thrusts) - they're fantastic for targeting the glutes.
Reply 9
On my leg/bum day at the gym I do:

Heavy barbell sumo squats (obvs).
Deadlifts 40kg 12 reps (but you may be different)
Walking lunges with dumbells (average of 10kg in each hand but can go lighter or heavier, and I do about 25 per set).
Jumping squats like you might do in HIIT, but with an 8-10kg medicine ball.
Glute bridges with 30kg sandbag on hips x30, then hold up at end for maybe 10 seconds squeezing up as much as I can.

Pilates won't do anything for building a booty, but depending on the difficulty will be good for core strength. :smile:

I do spinning 3x a week, but I don't know what it has done in terms of my glutes. It has fiercely developed my quads, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Glute bridges with a 30kg sandbag made my bum ache for DAYS the first time I did them, so they work :smile: and so did walking lunges with 28kg

Posted from TSR Mobile
never do crunches, always do planks.
Reply 12
Original post by SAhm95
never do crunches, always do planks.

Why not crunches? I've heard a few say this :smile: I do 30 sec plank --> crunches ---> 30 sec plank ---> etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bridging, lunges and hip knee extensions have done wonders for my buttocks
Original post by Fibsy
Why not crunches? I've heard a few say this :smile: I do 30 sec plank --> crunches ---> 30 sec plank ---> etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zq_nM5H3bk

Thanks!

:sigh: where to begin .....

No such thing as "tone". What you mean is put on a bit of muscle and reduce body fat % (newbie gains).

Abs are developed in the gym but brought out in the kitchen in other words key to success -> low body fat % which for most people means to be in a caloric deficit.

Why are you focused on making your ass bigger when there are plenty of other important muscle groups to train aswell. You don't want muscular imbalances or do you? :eyeball: Please don't be the type of girls who trains legs everyday. :sigh:

In terms of exercises:
Abs: 1) Hanging leg/knee raises. 2) Abs cable crunch/pull down. 3) hanging Windmill(very hard for a beginner)

Glutes: 1) Back squats. 2) Barbell hip thrusts. 3) Cable leg kickback. 4) Lunges. 5) Goblet squat. 6) Stiff leg deadlifts.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WoodyMKC
If you're dead set on not training your thighs and just your glutes (ass muscles), then stiff-legged deadlifts, weighted glute kickbacks and weighted hip thrusts will help.

Listen to Woody. He knows what he is talking about.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Listen to Woody. He knows what he is talking about.

Sheriff Woody to the rescue!

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
:sigh: where to begin .....

No such thing as "tone". What you mean is put on a bit of muscle and reduce body fat % (newbie gains).

Abs are developed in the gym but brought out in the kitchen in other words key to success -> low body fat % which for most people means to be in a caloric deficit.

Why are you focused on making your ass bigger when there are plenty of other important muscle groups to train aswell. You don't want muscular imbalances or do you? :eyeball: Please don't be the type of girls who trains legs everyday. :sigh:

In terms of exercises:
Abs: 1) Hanging leg/knee raises. 2) Abs cable crunch/pull down. 3) hanging Windmill(very hard for a beginner)

Glutes: 1) Back squats. 2) Barbell hip thrusts. 3) Cable leg kickback. 4) Lunges. 5) Goblet squat. 6) Stiff leg deadlifts.

Ok it sounds like you know what you're talking about. I feel like to explain I'd need pictures so you'd get what I mean, could I message you privately? Thanks
Ok it sounds like you know what you're talking about. I feel like to explain I'd need pictures so you'd get what I mean, could I message you privately? Thanks

Yeah sure, I'd be happy to help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest