The Student Room Group

My dad is a cheat

Note: i'm 16 and my brother is 14

Me and my brother have found my dad cheat numerous times; wephysically saw him talking to women on the phone/texting and we also saw himbring women over to our house occasionally when my mum is away.
I find it very embarrassing that he’s my father due to thefact my friends saw him behaving inappropriately around women at clubs (kissingetc.). He spends a greatdeal of time in the US, London and other European countries. Sobecause his job requires him to travel a lot, he uses it as an excuse to lie to my mum. I told my mum more than 10 times now to get rid of him butshe never listens. She stopped talking to him for 2/3 weeks then she told himto leave the house but he’s back now doing the same dodgy business. I have had frequent fights and arguments with him but hesimply laughs and tries make me appear delusional or walks out when I confronthim. He clearly thinks his behaviour is normal and it really bothers me on adaily basis. I stopped talking to him and I also cut all forms of contactwith him but when I’m home, I’m forced to see him as he’s there most of thetime. What should I do?
Reply 1
Sorry, my spaces were messed up so here is what I was saying...

Me and my brother have found my dad cheat numerous times; we physically saw him talking to women on the phone/texting and we also saw him bring women over to our house occasionally when my mum is away.
I find it very embarrassing that he’s my father due to the fact my friends saw him behaving inappropriately around women at clubs (kissing etc.).
He spends a great deal of time in the US, London and other European countries. So because his job requires him to travel a lot, he uses it as an excuse to lie to my mum. I told my mum more than 10 times now to get rid of him but she never listens. She stopped talking to him for 2/3 weeks then she told him to leave the house but he’s back now doing the same dodgy business.
I have had frequent fights and arguments with him but he simply laughs and tries make me appear delusional or walks out when I confront him.
He clearly thinks his behaviour is normal and it really bothers me on a daily basis. I stopped talking to him and I also cut all forms of contact with him but when I’m home, I’m forced to see him as he’s there most of the time. What should I do?
Aww that's really sad. Your dad is very inconsiderate considering you're both quite young and he's not setting a good example.

May I ask why your mother isn't getting rid of him?

P.S how long did you know he was cheating?
Reply 3
Original post by ellie0497
Aww that's really sad. Your dad is very inconsiderate considering you're both quite young and he's not setting a good example.

P.S how long did you know he was cheating?

I don't really know why... She merely cares about how we talk to/treat him him because we have to 'respect him'.

I've known ever since I was 12.
Your dad has no respect for anyone in your family.

He could have at least done it behind your backs.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I don't really know why... She merely cares about how we talk to/treat him him because we have to 'respect him'.

I've known ever since I was 12.
Get a voice recorder and find a way to hide it in his room when your mother is away. Then retrieve it and give it to your mother and say 'I'm no respecting a man who does this.'
Put violently strong laxatives in his drink. No matter how strong his game is, I doubt he'll be able to get laid with pooped pants.
Your mom knows all you can do is back off now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ellie0497

Suspect she reckons her and the kids would be worse off without him, than with.
Original post by Tootles
Get a voice recorder and find a way to hide it in his room when your mother is away. Then retrieve it and give it to your mother and say 'I'm no respecting a man who does this.'

You should be a sitcom writer lol
Original post by Death Grips

She is financially self-sufficient so him being there is irrelevant

His mum needs to boot him out ASAP
She is financially self-sufficient so him being there is irrelevant

Its not just about money.

You guys are still young enough for a divorce/broken home to f*** you up for the rest of your life.
You should be a sitcom writer lol
I've thought about it. Actually, I'm a fantasy novelist.
Note: i'm 16 and my brother is 14

Me and my brother have found my dad cheat numerous times; wephysically saw him talking to women on the phone/texting and we also saw himbring women over to our house occasionally when my mum is away.
I find it very embarrassing that he’s my father due to thefact my friends saw him behaving inappropriately around women at clubs (kissingetc.). He spends a greatdeal of time in the US, London and other European countries. Sobecause his job requires him to travel a lot, he uses it as an excuse to lie to my mum. I told my mum more than 10 times now to get rid of him butshe never listens. She stopped talking to him for 2/3 weeks then she told himto leave the house but he’s back now doing the same dodgy business. I have had frequent fights and arguments with him but hesimply laughs and tries make me appear delusional or walks out when I confronthim. He clearly thinks his behaviour is normal and it really bothers me on adaily basis. I stopped talking to him and I also cut all forms of contactwith him but when I’m home, I’m forced to see him as he’s there most of thetime. What should I do?

You're dad is a complete and utter a**hole. You need to find a way to get this into your moms head and get your dad out of your life completely do you have any family members that you can talk to?
Just dont play monopoly... It destroys families.
Original post by Shiv is Light
You're dad is a complete and utter a**hole. You need to find a way to get this into your moms head and get your dad out of your life completely do you have any family members that you can talk to?

I do have relatives but they all know about it already (rumours etc.) but I don't really talk to them often.
Original post by C_tinie_D
Your dad has no respect for anyone in your family.

He could have at least done it behind your backs.

He used to just do it around my brother when he stayed with him abroad but he was only 9/10 though he was aware how wrong his actions were, he kept it to himself for a few years but recently he does it in front of everyone and anyone but my mum.
Reply 18
I understand how you feel, my dad is very much the same and has been for many years. At the end of the day just because he's your dad doesn't mean he has to be a large part of your life. I have very much cut my dad out, as alongside the cheating and lying and hurting I have realised he is not a very good person, much like you have I imagine. I guess I'm blessed in that my parents have split up, I don't have to see him often.

I guess my advice would be to try have people you trust that you can talk to about it, friends, whoever. I always struggled with the feelings of guilt that I have lost a relationship with my dad, but I've realised now that just because he's my dad I don't owe it to him to try and make a relationship with a man like he is. If you feel able you should talk to your mum about this, she may not listen but you could try. Maybe try what the others have suggested? They are right btw- he is an a**hole for having so little regard for his family.

Sorry for the huge essay :redface: and by all means you can message me if you'd like someone to talk to about it as I have been in the same scenario

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending