The Student Room Group

Acne at 21? Embarrassing much

I'm a 21 year old female, not overweight or underweight or anything, yet I still have acne on my chin, not just one or two spots but like 8 or something. When will they go away and what could be causing them?
I'm 25 and get them all across my back, shoulders and neck.

Sadly some of us just don't stop getting them. I'm having to take some pretty strong medication at the moment because the acne is incredibly stubborn.
Make up :smile:
in the mean time go to docs - they might give you some antibiotics to clear up the acne or a cream
Reply 3
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I'm 25 and get them all across my back, shoulders and neck.

Sadly some of us just don't stop getting them. I'm having to take some pretty strong medication at the moment because the acne is incredibly stubborn.

What do you take?
Reply 4
From what i know acne can continue on into adulthood (which is annoying.) There can be many different causes for it (from what i have been told): hormones, genetics and bacteria under your skin. Luckily, there are many treatments you can use, and from experience treatments that contain benoxide peroxide or salicylic acid can help out with acne. If it gets really bad though you can always have a visit to the doctors as they can offer some advise and treatments.
Reply 5
Original post by samina_ay
in the mean time go to docs - they might give you some antibiotics to clear up the acne or a cream

Oh yes, I use concealer and face powder but I'd rather just have clear skin tbh

I took flucloxacillin for a period of about 10 days for another infection which seemed to help a bit combined with ibuprofen but I was hoping for a more long term solution. Antibiotics are bad for your body
Reply 6
Original post by Katvbear
From what i know acne can continue on into adulthood (which is annoying.) There can be many different causes for it (from what i have been told): hormones, genetics and bacteria under your skin. Luckily, there are many treatments you can use, and from experience treatments that contain benoxide peroxide or salicylic acid can help out with acne. If it gets really bad though you can always have a visit to the doctors as they can offer some advise and treatments.

In my case it is probably genetics; my mum told me she didn't stop getting acne until she was 25
Original post by Anonymous
What do you take?

Isotretinoin, it's a drug that can cause depression, severe skin dehydration and blotches, joint pain and eyelid swelling.

But it's got so serious I've been advised to take it. I suppose I'm lucky I don't get it much on my face, but still I want rid of it.
Reply 8
It might also be diet? Do you drink enough water ever day? As water is good for preventing acne.
Also it depends what type of skin you have. You dont want to use a facial wash for dry skin if you have oily skin as that will create more acne.
In my case it is probably genetics; my mum told me she didn't stop getting acne until she was 25
Original post by samina_ay

Makeup is the worst thing you can use when trying to get rid of acne, and I'm speaking from a position of experience and medical knowledge about it.

Original post by BefuddledPenguin
Isotretinoin, it's a drug that can cause depression, severe skin dehydration and blotches, joint pain and eyelid swelling.

But it's got so serious I've been advised to take it. I suppose I'm lucky I don't get it much on my face, but still I want rid of it.

It's banned in the US I think and women who take this drug have to have monthly pregnancy tests at their GP to prove they're not pregnant and can continue taking the drug.

It's pretty potent but works.
You've got to set yourself targets for the management of your spots.

Get reasonably clear before the fine lines start making an appearance at 25.

*i sound like an ass. FYI i had spots at 21, I'm 25 now and I use a retinol product to deal with zits and ageing. Retinol makes you flawless.
Original post by Katvbear
It might also be diet? Do you drink enough water ever day? As water is good for preventing acne.
Also it depends what type of skin you have. You dont want to use a facial wash for dry skin if you have oily skin as that will create more acne.

In all fairness no, mainly because I can't stomach my houses tap water in the morning (it makes me sick somehow if I drink a lot of it at once)

I usually just get up, down coffee and rush off to work after a shower then I eat crap because I work in fast food. Even on days off I take vitamin and mineral supplements and sometimes have fruit salads/ salads etc but it's rare tbh
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Makeup is the worst thing you can use when trying to get rid of acne, and I'm speaking from a position of experience and medical knowledge about it.

It's banned in the US I think and women who take this drug have to have monthly pregnancy tests at their GP to prove they're not pregnant and can continue taking the drug.

It's pretty potent but works.

Sounds nasty; I think I'll keep the acne tbh
Original post by leavingthecity
You've got to set yourself targets for the management of your spots.

Get reasonably clear before the fine lines start making an appearance at 25.

*i sound like an ass. FYI i had spots at 21, I'm 25 now and I use a retinol product to deal with zits and ageing. Retinol makes you flawless.

If it's hormonal or genetic what am I supposed to do about that though?
I'm 20 and I have spots on my face and my back still! My issue is I have eczema on my face as well. With spot creams removing grease and eczema creams adding grease it makes life rather difficult!
Original post by 2007PSanHa
I'm 20 and I have spots on my face and my back still! My issue is I have eczema on my face as well. With spot creams removing grease and eczema creams adding grease it makes life rather difficult!

That sounds like a pain

I feel for you *hugs*
If it's hormonal or genetic what am I supposed to do about that though?

Mine was, I have a hormonal imbalance to the point where I'm actually on HRT. But there are topical applications that can help massively.

I highly highly recommend Redermic R by Roche Posay. It's not cheap at £30, but it's the only otc retinol that includes a BHA to magnify it's effectiveness. It's very gentle and is very highly rated.
I'm a 21 year old female, not overweight or underweight or anything, yet I still have acne on my chin, not just one or two spots but like 8 or something. When will they go away and what could be causing them?

I was in the exact same situation except 22 male and had been getting spots on my chin for like the past 4 years, I'd sometime get the odd spot elsewhere on my face but it would clear up after a couple of days but I would wake up daily and have breakouts on my chin and around my mouth, I then read an article saying that dairy products can have an effect on your hormones which cause breakouts on your chin as well as the back of your shoulders, so I cut dairy out my diet which was basically just Milk and butter and instantly saw an improvement and stopped breaking out in spots, now if I have a drop of milk or butter I wake up the next day with a few spots on my chin so I know dairy is the cause, I just have a few blemishes from old spots but it is ten times better, if you haven't already tried it u should definitely give it a go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
My recommendation is to just eat well, sleep well and excercise. You will grow out of it. Better to do that than put all of those creams and medicines on your skin everyday.
Reply 19
Hello friend! I had terrible acne spots on the left side of my face - cheek, chin, and nose. As I got older, it got worse and worse looking. To get rid of these scars, I applied vegetable masks, essential oils, paraffin masks and natural acids. It worked great for me. Here is the article on these and other ways to help you forget about acne spots - https://pinkycloud.com/post-acne-red-spots-top-10-tips-to-get-rid-of-red-spots . Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest