The Student Room Group

Changing myself to fit in (serious)

I didn't know where's gig section to post this, I thought I'd post it here.
Serious answers only please, thank you.

This has been bothering me for some time now and I thought I'd ask it on here to get people's opinions.

I'm at university and since I've been here I feel like I'm changing myself to fit in with the girls on my course.I am one of those studious girls and all my life I've always carried a rucksack to school.
For university I got a big rucksack I could fit my laptop & tablet in.I also carry my folder(s) in there depending on what classes I have that day.Personally if I don't have all that stuff with me I don't feel like I am going to learn.I noticed that girls on my course don't carry rucksacks, they carry Michael Kors, the infamous H&M bag (I'm sure everyone knows that one lol) etc.

This semester I started carrying a messenger bag and it doesn't feel right.It feels really strange to me.In the 15 years I have been in education I have never carried anything else.
I want to at least feel like everyone else but again it is not me. It doesn't help that I fancy a guy on my course and I obviously want to at least look appealing.I don't think a rucksack the size of Texas does me any favours.

I know this sounds really childish but it really is bothering me :frown:.

Scroll to see replies

Nah don't carry handbags or anything. Carry on wearing backpacks/ rucksacks.
The point of bags is to carry all of your stuff. Not just a hairbrush and some makeup.
Reply 2
just do you hunny. you should carry your rucksack if you feel that its best for you, don't try and conform to what the other girls are doing. i don't see a problem with the rucksack. do what makes you happy.
Reply 3
Tell them to stfu

You can be who you want, if your friends don't accept it tell your 'friends' where to shove it.
Don't change yourself.
Reply 5
Do whatever feels the most comfortable/appealing for you. I've always been more of a rucksack type of person too but also like you, entirely understand that it isn't the most attractive look.

Why not try find a rucksack that's cute but still big enough for your needs? Something with some pretty colours or a little cat or pattern of some sort on? It doesn't have to be a plain black massive unattractive sports bag every time, find something cute that suits your style but still gives you the functionality you need. That way you may attract the right kind of guys for you, what's the sense in walking around with a Michael Kors bag that will attract a guy that is essentially more into the type of girls your friends are than you?
Reply 6
Also rucksacks are quite sexy in an eccentric way, you don't want your guy to think you're just another clone do you?
Original post by Anonymous

This has been bothering me for some time now and I thought I'd ask it on here to get people's opinions.

I'm at university and since I've been here I feel like I'm changing myself to fit in with the girls on my course.I am one of those studious girls and all my life I've always carried a rucksack to school.
For university I got a big rucksack I could fit my laptop & tablet in.I also carry my folder(s) in there depending on what classes I have that day.Personally if I don't have all that stuff with me I don't feel like I am going to learn.I noticed that girls on my course don't carry rucksacks, they carry Michael Kors, the infamous H&M bag (I'm sure everyone knows that one lol) etc.

This semester I started carrying a messenger bag and it doesn't feel right.It feels really strange to me.In the 15 years I have been in education I have never carried anything else.
I want to at least feel like everyone else but again it is not me. It doesn't help that I fancy a guy on my course and I obviously want to at least look appealing.I don't think a rucksack the size of Texas does me any favours.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T CHANGE!
You sound so sweet and beautiful I want to give you a big hug!

I personally find it hot if you carry rucksacks and even more so if you wear glasses! lol. I'm sure your crush will find you cute. No one should change just to conform and feel the same as what's in front of them at that moment, especially shouldn't change from the person you describe yourself as.

I long to see a beautiful girl who carries a rucksack to class and is studious. Instead of good-looking girls who carry michael kore bags and don't study.
You sound like my dream girl, lol.

Anyway, Stay you because later down the line you'll regret it. This is short term satisfaction that you might have from feeling like you fit in but it will be more of a hindrance than benefit.

Don't change! and find different friends instead if you can't have certain types of people as friends without having to be like them too. Be yourself.

And message me. :wink: lol
(edited 8 years ago)
I take a backpack or a tote bag to Uni, by the time you get to Uni a lot of people realise that no one actually cares that much of at all and the ones that do need to get a life tbh
Original post by RomanKing

And message me. :wink: lol

Obligatory thirst message, check.

Good luck on your endeavors.
Original post by Fickschlitten
Obligatory thirst message, check.

Good luck on your endeavors.

LOL. ! you're funny.

Oops, I'm sorry. Maybe I shouldn't have.
LOL. ! you're funny.

Oops, I'm sorry. Maybe I shouldn't have.

It was a slick attempt, but improvement is required.
It was a slick attempt, but improvement is required.

PWAHAHAHAHA!

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous

I don't think you should feel pressured to carry a handbag. Nothing sexier than a woman with a rucksack. :wink:

I personally think 'dressing up' for each day at university is pointless. If that isn't you then stay true to yourself. Keep handbags for nights out or whatever.

Having said that those special laptop rucksacks are hardly the most attractive things.

Penfield rucksacks are great. A sort of happy medium between style and function.

http://penfield.com/accessories/bags

Eastpak are a bit more affordable. Urban Outfitters and ASOS also have a good selection of bags.

So what rucksack do you actually use out of interest? Brand?

:wink: :smile:
Just be yourself, don't change who you are for someone else otherwise you'll never be happy in life
PWAHAHAHAHA!

Spoiler

Library chica's are the easiest to pull. Going by your profile pic you're a decent chap.

Upwards and outwards is what they say, Comrade.
Library chica's are the easiest to pull. Going by your profile pic you're a decent chap.

Upwards and outwards is what they say, Comrade.

Thank you very much chap. You're not too bad yourself.

I just this thread starter to be happy wearing rucksacks. :frown: because if the library chicas don't always wear rucksacks.
Thank you very much chap. You're not too bad yourself.

I just this thread starter to be happy wearing rucksacks. :frown: because if the library chicas don't always wear rucksacks.

If only I was as handsome as the man on my profile picture...

I cringe every time i see a girl pull out a creased A4 booklet out from her tiny hand bag. It's blasphemous to the nth degree.
If only I was as handsome as the man on my profile picture...

I cringe every time i see a girl pull out a creased A4 booklet out from her tiny hand bag. It's blasphemous to the nth degree.

LOL!
You are a hilarious chap!

Some sense of humour you have, be my friend now.

It grinds my nerves when I see a girl dress up for uni every single day with make up and nice clothes and then no A4 booklet at all. People who think they're going into a social club every morning.
LOL!
You are a hilarious chap!

Some sense of humour you have, be my friend now.

It grinds my nerves when I see a girl dress up for uni every single day with make up and nice clothes and then no A4 booklet at all. People who think they're going into a social club every morning.

Stilettos and paul's boutique really helps you get in the mood for hardcore studying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending