The Student Room Group

Mandated Swimming?

Hello at my school, swimming is mandated and all pupils must take part or their parents will be notified and you will suffer consequences for example doing bookwork for the double period. I am insecure about my body and considering I am the skinniest person in my class, I am not comfortable about being that exposed in front of my classmates (Males only, the females swim after the males have finished the block). Is there anyway that I can be pardoned from swimming, i asked my parents to phone in however they are not willing to and believe it is a "Petty Excuse" and I should do swimming. Can anyone think of anything, preferably a law or civil right stipulation so that I can be pardoned by the law rather than my principles otherwise I shall get in trouble for not doing Physical Education. Thanks in advance.

Have a great day and please reply below, I am running out of ideas.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I usually go for the period thing but, tbh, what might me more beneficial for you is to talk to someone about your insecurities, and learn to work through it? Sorry I'm not much help, but tbh it's better to 'face your fears' ....(?)
Original post by Milzime
I usually go for the period thing but, tbh, what might me more beneficial for you is to talk to someone about your insecurities, and learn to work through it? Sorry I'm not much help, but tbh it's better to 'face your fears' ....(?)

I think this would be more helpful than making up excuses to try and get out of it.
Original post by Milzime

I would like to "face my fears" however i really can't, the people in my class are those kind that speak about things like this for weeks on end and disobey orders from superior authority in the school. :frown:
Original post by Milzime
what might me more beneficial for you is to talk to someone about your insecurities, and learn to work through it? Sorry I'm not much help, but tbh it's better to 'face your fears' ....(?)

Excellent advice.

Original post by JamesGallagher
I would like to "face my fears" however i really can't, the people in my class are those kind that speak about things like this for weeks on end and disobey orders from superior authority in the school. :frown:

You don't think they will give you an even harder time for being such a wuss as to bunk off swimming?

Nobody will even notice your body, quite frankly, and if they do you should just shrug it off.
wear something like this:

, that way they can't see your torso and belly :wink:
Reply 6
Hello at my school, swimming is mandated and all pupils must take part or their parents will be notified and you will suffer consequences for example doing bookwork for the double period. I am insecure about my body and considering I am the skinniest person in my class, I am not comfortable about being that exposed in front of my classmates (Males only, the females swim after the males have finished the block). Is there anyway that I can be pardoned from swimming, i asked my parents to phone in however they are not willing to and believe it is a "Petty Excuse" and I should do swimming. Can anyone think of anything, preferably a law or civil right stipulation so that I can be pardoned by the law rather than my principles otherwise I shall get in trouble for not doing Physical Education. Thanks in advance.

Have a great day and please reply below, I am running out of ideas.

I am self-conscious for a variety of reasons, so when swimming came around I was too scared to do it. So I didn't - I got out of it through saying I was injured and unable to, however eventually I told my mum and she just phoned in for me. (This was in Year 9 - Year 10/11 I didn't do PE at all)

However, I do believe it would've been beneficial for me in the long run to have just done swimming - then I wouldn't have been the 'unusual' one that didn't and, honestly, people don't actually care an awful lot about your body. Honestly, as teenagers, almost everyone is self-conscious, and more than likely they're all too preoccupied with how they look to bother looking at how you look.
Original post by shawn_o1
wear something like this:

, that way they can't see your torso and belly :wink:

You have obviously never worn a wetsuit in a heated pool. He would boil away.

And, of course, it wouldn't draw attention to him at all, would it? Oh no!

:no:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by celloel
I am self-conscious for a variety of reasons, so when swimming came around I was too scared to do it. So I didn't - I got out of it through saying I was injured and unable to, however eventually I told my mum and she just phoned in for me. (This was in Year 9 - Year 10/11 I didn't do PE at all)

However, I do believe it would've been beneficial for me in the long run to have just done swimming - then I wouldn't have been the 'unusual' one that didn't and, honestly, people don't actually care an awful lot about your body. Honestly, as teenagers, almost everyone is self-conscious, and more than likely they're all too preoccupied with how they look to bother looking at how you look.

True, I already have the ability to swim well though which just makes me think it is pointless. I can swim, I am conscious about my body and am not comfortable swimming so I think I shouldn't have to partake in the activity. As for the "don't really care" thing you mentioned, I tripped over and fell on the ground and that was all everyone spoke about for a week (almost everyone, not the nice humans) so think about this. Isn't there a legal clause I could invoke to pardon me from this activity, thanks in advance.
Isn't there a legal clause I could invoke to pardon me from this activity, thanks in advance.

No.
There isn't a legal clause, no.

You wouldn't be the only person with this issue.
These aren't excuses however rather actual concerns and this is something I have been pardoned for before when I was really depressed and just felt everything was not worth doing. At that point I developed this and I really don't want to swim. My parents forced me to swim for 6 years in swimming lessons and a swimming club even though I didn't want to. I don't want to now, if I do things may just go back to the way they were. It was thanks to members of my class that I started to develop this. I will not be swimming, no matter what is said. I have a reason not to partake in the activity however I have an amazing school record and this would tarnish it so I would rather be able to be pardoned, stay happy and not be in trouble rather than having to refuse.
These aren't excuses however rather actual concerns and this is something I have been pardoned for before when I was really depressed and just felt everything was not worth doing. At that point I developed this and I really don't want to swim. My parents forced me to swim for 6 years in swimming lessons and a swimming club even though I didn't want to. I don't want to now, if I do things may just go back to the way they were. It was thanks to members of my class that I started to develop this. I will not be swimming, no matter what is said. I have a reason not to partake in the activity however I have an amazing school record and this would tarnish it so I would rather be able to be pardoned, stay happy and not be in trouble rather than having to refuse.

I really feel for you. I also had a hard time at school and PE was particularly hard because if you're being teased or bullied or excluded in any way by your peers the last thing you want as a teenager is to be half undressed in front of the unfriendlies. All I can suggest if you really want a chance to be pardoned is to talk to the support staff at your school (I'm assuming you have some kind of student support service there?) and tell them that this is really affecting your mental health, because it sounds like it is. Explain your history of depression and that you really don't feel able to engage with this activity without it having a severe impact on your health and wellbeing. There's a difference between being a little self-conscious like most teenagers are and having the kind of reaction you're having to the idea of swimming in front of your classmates.
Original post by mscaffrey
I really feel for you. I also had a hard time at school and PE was particularly hard because if you're being teased or bullied or excluded in any way by your peers the last thing you want as a teenager is to be half undressed in front of the unfriendlies. All I can suggest if you really want a chance to be pardoned is to talk to the support staff at your school (I'm assuming you have some kind of student support service there?) and tell them that this is really affecting your mental health, because it sounds like it is. Explain your history of depression and that you really don't feel able to engage with this activity without it having a severe impact on your health and wellbeing. There's a difference between being a little self-conscious like most teenagers are and having the kind of reaction you're having to the idea of swimming in front of your classmates.

Thanks, you understood. At our school we have a "Pastoral Team"/"Guidance Department" who deals with this however the main problem is it all involves my parents. I have spoken to them about this, they said my parents would need to phone or go into school and provide a justified description however that can't happen. When I was depressed, I done my hardest to keep my parents from finding out as they would just fuss about it and really it would do no good and it worked. So if I get my parents involved now, then I will have to reveal this and all of the other medical problems I feel inside. About 6 months ago, there was those days almost every day in fact where I would go to school early and just sit and cry alone and contemplate whether life was really worth it. If my parents get involved now then they will be disappointed that I didn't tell them.
Thanks, you understood. At our school we have a "Pastoral Team"/"Guidance Department" who deals with this however the main problem is it all involves my parents. I have spoken to them about this, they said my parents would need to phone or go into school and provide a justified description however that can't happen. When I was depressed, I done my hardest to keep my parents from finding out as they would just fuss about it and really it would do no good and it worked. So if I get my parents involved now, then I will have to reveal this and all of the other medical problems I feel inside. About 6 months ago, there was those days almost every day in fact where I would go to school early and just sit and cry alone and contemplate whether life was really worth it. If my parents get involved now then they will be disappointed that I didn't tell them.

From what you're saying I really feel you should speak to your parents for long term support.

In regards to the swimming - if it upsets you - can you go to your doctors without your parents knowing? Tell the doctor you twisted your neck and your entire shoulder hurts, then say your school is forcing you to do PE unless you have a doctors note. Get one written down saying you should be excused from PE until your shoulder heals (no specific time frame). Then, for the duration of the swimming, say your shoulder is still healing.
Sorry, that's about the best you could do without your parents phoning up.
Yeah I understand and unfortunately I don't have the ability to go alone to the doctors as I am not at the correct age. I am going to contemplate what is the best option to branch from here and chances are, I am going to become depressed again (for several reasons). Thanks for all your help you guys, it has been greatly appreciated. Have a great day!

You really do need some form of support. I'm sure your parents would be more disappointed if something happened to you because you weren't able to access the help and support you deserve than they will be if they find out you've been hiding your feelings from them. The hardest thing is always telling your parents what's going on, but any awkwardness or disappointment usually disappears as their main concern becomes helping you in the moment. If you don't feel able to speak to your parents then you could go to your GP (you can go at any age by yourself) to ask for confidential help, but I would really urge you to involve your parents (or one of them). If you feel uncomfortable bringing it up at home you could tell a member of the pastoral team that you don't know how to tell them and they might help you raise your issues with them.

Life is worth it and it will get better once you move on from school. It's incredible how many people you meet once you leave school who you're able to identify with. Everyone who had a hard time at school become visible and you find out that you're not as on your own as you thought you were.
(edited 8 years ago)
\You said if you don't do swimming you had to do book work. Why don't you just do the bookwork? Thats what I would have done.
Im so lucky that my school never had to do swimming.
Original post by Kholmes1
\You said if you don't do swimming you had to do book work. Why don't you just do the bookwork? Thats what I would have done.
Im so lucky that my school never had to do swimming.

Bookwork has only one problem normally someone of significant authority comes to speak to you about it. However it is the route it looks like I am pursuing.
From what I read your anxiety could be considered a mental health issue. So no school who guards their reputation would want to be seen to ignore a mental health matter for one of their pupils. So somehow you should seek assistance even if from outside the school.

Quick Reply

Latest