The Student Room Group

it's ruining my life.

Social anxiety is ruining my life. All my life I have suffered with social anxiety and believe it or not it has gotten better as when I was younger I would not speak to anyone. I'm okay with it sometimes but I really want to go to college as I hate my current sixth form and want to go to college next year but I'm terrified, what I am doing now in sixth form isn't working for me and I'm not enjoying it and I feel trapped because I am too scared. I also want a job and I am to terrified, I have been to an interview for a job but I thought they were judging me so I never went back. I don't know how to fix it:frown: I get anxiety when answering questions in class so how am I meant to function in life like get a job, meet new people, etc. Any advice or help? please?
Reply 1
Become a narcissist
I was like you but for me taking risks helped, I am still trying to overcome this but its better now.

Take risks, answer questions, do presentations, start conversations with people, I know this is easier said than done but when you get used to this, it will be like nothing, trust me.:smile:
Reply 3
Beta-Blockers or some other kind of drug.

Male or female? Maybe your testosterone levels are low.
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
Social anxiety is ruining my life. All my life I have suffered with social anxiety and believe it or not it has gotten better as when I was younger I would not speak to anyone. I'm okay with it sometimes but I really want to go to college as I hate my current sixth form and want to go to college next year but I'm terrified, what I am doing now in sixth form isn't working for me and I'm not enjoying it and I feel trapped because I am too scared. I also want a job and I am to terrified, I have been to an interview for a job but I thought they were judging me so I never went back. I don't know how to fix it:frown: I get anxiety when answering questions in class so how am I meant to function in life like get a job, meet new people, etc. Any advice or help? please?

Hey, sorry you're going through this at the moment but this is something that you can get past with the right help, if you haven't already please speak to your gp and a close friend or family member about what you're feeling, many people go through the same thing but I'm sure you'll be able to beat it op :smile:

Go to your local gp I got prescribed with anxiety pills and they've helped me so much, I feel comfortable talking to anyone and I don't even need it anymore, it's just about breaking that barrier and once you do you'll be fine. Trust me no one is judging you, I felt like that too but you're just being paranoid. Just think of it this way no ones that interesting for everyone to judge. Anyway good luck
talk yourself out of it.

the same way when you have anxiety- the thoughts that flood your mind that you keep repeating to yourself in third person - say the opposite of those thoughts in your head, over time this will work.

it's like self CBT.

I know exactly how you feel. I suffer from Social Anxiety and it has literally destroyed my teenage life. I have never been to any social events in my teenage years because I was so afraid of being stuck in a room of random people I don't know. I would constantly get thoughts in my mind thinking that everybody hates me and are criticising me. It just basically ****s your mind up. I am exactly like you, my heart always races when my teachers calls my name out to answer a question because I was so afraid of making a fool of myself. You just have to realise that your social anxiety is nothing but a constant battle in your mind. I just became so infuriated when I saw my friends going out and having fun whilst I am stuck at home because of a stupid mental disorder. I decided that I was going to try and cure this disorder myself. I immediately forced myself into uncomfortable situations in order to desensitize myself and I am slowly getting better at it. Unfortunately, social anxiety is something that can not go away completely. However, you can reduce the severity of it. You just have to be strong minded and tell yourself that you will not let Social Anxiety control your life. Feel free to PM me if you need any advice. Good luck! :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alisahhh1998
Go to your local gp I got prescribed with anxiety pills and they've helped me so much, I feel comfortable talking to anyone and I don't even need it anymore, it's just about breaking that barrier and once you do you'll be fine. Trust me no one is judging you, I felt like that too but you're just being paranoid. Just think of it this way no ones that interesting for everyone to judge. Anyway good luck

do you know the name of the medication you take? I think it would help me a lot:smile:
do you know the name of the medication you take? I think it would help me a lot:smile:

Not directed at me- but I got propanalol (beta blockers) and they didn't do much for me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just decide to not have social anxiety.

It's all in your head, yet you control your head.... Seems logical to just do something about it.
Original post by ComputerMaths97

It's all in your head, yet you control your head.... Seems logical to just do something about it.

Thats like telling someone to not care that their whole family has just died.

I mean the emotions from that is just inside their head so it seems logical to just decide not to worry about it? :rolleyes:

The medicated one was propanalol but I also use calms and a reassurance spray (these are off the counter from the pharmacy)
Original post by ComputerMaths97

its not that easy? i would've done that years ago if I could.
its not that easy? i would've done that years ago if I could.

See there's your problem, you don't believe. Step 1 to changing an attitude, is believing that you can. If you try changing something but have no faith, you're going to get nowhere. Imagine you tried to lose weight but you spent all your days worrying about your weight, and thinking you'll never lose weight. You'd get nowhere! You have to see the millions of people that have gotten over very severe cases of social anxiety, and believe, then know, that you can do the same.

Like I said, it's all in the mind. Persuading yourself otherwise is damaging.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending