The Student Room Group

Assignments

Hi

I have a problem with uni. They require us for every course to do least one long assignment, like 20 pages. And it can be really tedious to write 20 pages full of diagrams, equations, etc in word.

I find myself spending time doing that typing and formatting, that can be more than the time I spend to actually research, read and investigate a subject.

Do you think this is with all uni's ?

Is this normal? Do you find it logical?
It's not the same with every uni. In part, it depends on what course you're doing.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
It's not the same with every uni. In part, it depends on what course you're doing.

Which unis don't have that? I'm doing mech eng. Is there a way to be exempt from this idiocy?
Reply 3
Set the font size to 26. You'll have 20 pages in a minute.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's just the way uni is at times, I had to spend hours putting together a 20 page PowerPoint doc for a scrap book assignment, had to upload photos, scan docs in, read and write short essays. Stop moaning, I had to do that plus work on other assignments and my dissertation which is huge 8000 words on it's own with an appendix on top, suck it up and get used to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hand write mine because it's so much quicker and easier than working with LaTeX\LaTeX or something. Diagrams and graphs are easier too.
The most I've had is about 12-15 pages though.
It's called university. What coursework do you expect to be doing? They need to test the depth of your understanding of whatever the assignment topic is. You can't do that in a page.

Original post by morgan8002
I hand write mine because it's so much quicker and easier than working with LaTeX\LaTeX or something. Diagrams and graphs are easier too.

I've never heard of a university accepting handwritten work in this day and age.
Original post by GoingToBurst

I've never heard of a university accepting handwritten work in this day and age.

Both of my departments do and everyone I know writes them by hand. They don't accept pencil or red pen though. It's just so much easier get your ideas across and do complicated algebra by hand. Row reducing a 5x5 matrix in LaTeX would be a nightmare for example. And they don't want to spend the first few weeks of first year teaching you how to use it.
Reply 8

I hard written mine once (and not all the pages, only few calculations and lost 10 marks because of that!
Reply 9
Both of my departments do and everyone I know writes them by hand. They don't accept pencil or red pen though. It's just so much easier get your ideas across and do complicated algebra by hand. Row reducing a 5x5 matrix in LaTeX would be a nightmare for example. And they don't want to spend the first few weeks of first year teaching you how to use it.

which uni are you man, that's amazing
Original post by studos
Hi

I have a problem with uni. They require us for every course to do least one long assignment, like 20 pages. And it can be really tedious to write 20 pages full of diagrams, equations, etc in word.

I find myself spending time doing that typing and formatting, that can be more than the time I spend to actually research, read and investigate a subject.

Do you think this is with all uni's ?

Is this normal? Do you find it logical?

exactly the same thing happened when I was doing GCSE computing coursework. obviously I know your uni work and my coursework are on completely different levels.

but I understand the absolute torture of getting the text in the right places, making sure diagrams are labelled correctly etc, etc.

i'd rather just do it all on paper, to be perfectly honest
Original post by studos
I hard written mine once (and not all the pages, only few calculations and lost 10 marks because of that!

Wow.
Original post by studos
which uni are you man, that's amazing

Warwick. I don't know if it's the same for engineering.
as far as im aware, thats the life of a uni student
for every module we have a long assignment and for every level (3) we have an extra long module and level 5 and 6 has a dissertation in each

if your not happy with the work load, go back to college
Reply 13
Wow.

Warwick. I don't know if it's the same for engineering.

well. thát's a serious uni, what degree are you doing?
Reply 14
Original post by shawtyb
as far as im aware, thats the life of a uni student
for every module we have a long assignment and for every level (3) we have an extra long module and level 5 and 6 has a dissertation in each

if your not happy with the work load, go back to college

Stick your advice in your as and get back to your cave.
Original post by studos
Stick your advice in your as and get back to your cave.

u asked if its normal and i gave you my answer
yes it is normal now stop ur whinging
Reply 16
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
exactly the same thing happened when I was doing GCSE computing coursework. obviously I know your uni work and my coursework are on completely different levels.

but I understand the absolute torture of getting the text in the right places, making sure diagrams are labelled correctly etc, etc.

i'd rather just do it all on paper, to be perfectly honest

Exactly as you describe it. It is insane to undergo this and waste so much time for such stupid things. Many students use typing services for large dissertations like PhD and I am sure many lecturers and professors have the admin staff of the department to do the typing and formatting.
Original post by studos
well. thát's a serious uni, what degree are you doing?

Maths and physics.
Reply 18
Maths and physics.

very nice

and how do you deal with photos, diagrams, etc in your hand written notes?
Original post by studos
very nice

and how do you deal with photos, diagrams, etc in your hand written notes?

In my lecture notes? I don't take photos in them, but diagrams I just draw in the notes in pencil. I usually have a set square and compass with me so can use them if necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending