The Student Room Group

Plagiarism / Multiple Sumbission - Scared of expulsion!!!

I'm in my first year doing History, didn't really understand the plagiarism rules and got in major trouble in my first term... Had a deparmental hearing but was let off with mark penalties and a severe warning....

I've submitted an essay last week and now I'm absolutely terrified that I broke a different rule and that they're gonna kick me out if they find it and I don't know what to do.

I used some research from a source-based assignment in writing an essay (both summative). There are less than 100 words that are substantially similar (the entire point is 1/2 a paragraph (250 words)... The university guidelines are really vague so I don't know if I'm going to get in trouble at all or if I'm going to get totally screwed! I don't think I should email any of my professors or departmental staff because I don't want them to look into it if it would just slide past... What do I do?!
Speak to a single professor in person about it. Not the one who the assignment is for.

Are you saying you've copied someone else's work into an essay for a second time?
Reply 2
If you're gonna copy content or whatever, always reference...
Original post by DonkeyShlong
Speak to a single professor in person about it. Not the one who the assignment is for.

Are you saying you've copied someone else's work into an essay for a second time?

Nah, this is my own words/ideas, which is why I was thinking it might be ok
Original post by FrancescoDatini
Nah, this is my own words/ideas, which is why I was thinking it might be ok

If it's your work there is no problem at all, you don't have to quote yourself, even if it's an old paper.
Reply 5
I'm in my first year doing History, didn't really understand the plagiarism rules and got in major trouble in my first term... Had a deparmental hearing but was let off with mark penalties and a severe warning....

I've submitted an essay last week and now I'm absolutely terrified that I broke a different rule and that they're gonna kick me out if they find it and I don't know what to do.

I used some research from a source-based assignment in writing an essay (both summative). There are less than 100 words that are substantially similar (the entire point is 1/2 a paragraph (250 words)... The university guidelines are really vague so I don't know if I'm going to get in trouble at all or if I'm going to get totally screwed! I don't think I should email any of my professors or departmental staff because I don't want them to look into it if it would just slide past... What do I do?!

As long as you referenced the original sources, you should be okay?
If it's your work there is no problem at all, you don't have to quote yourself, even if it's an old paper.

The University Regulations say:

"Multiple submission: the inappropriate submission of the same or substantially the same work of one's own for summative assessment"

I initially thought this was talking about submitting whole essays for multiple modules, but I've been looking at different Universities like St Andrews where they seem to talk about incredibly minor sentences as serious self-plagiarism...
Original post by john2054
As long as you referenced the original sources, you should be okay?

Hope so, I did do that!
The University Regulations say:

"Multiple submission: the inappropriate submission of the same or substantially the same work of one's own for summative assessment"

I initially thought this was talking about submitting whole essays for multiple modules, but I've been looking at different Universities like St Andrews where they seem to talk about incredibly minor sentences as serious self-plagiarism...

The word substantially seems to me to suggest you'll be OK. I'd speak to a tutor and say you had a paragraph from before that you've used again because you couldn't word it in a better way.
Should probably mention they are two different modules by two different tutors, but both of whom use TurnItIn
The word substantially seems to me to suggest you'll be OK. I'd speak to a tutor and say you had a paragraph from before that you've used again because you couldn't word it in a better way.

I'm just not sure I want to risk highlighting it if it's not an issue? But it's good to hear others read the regulations in the same way as I did originally!
Should probably mention they are two different modules by two different tutors, but both of whom use TurnItIn

Definitely speak to someone in person. Don't email. Just ask for a tutor's opinion and if they think it will make a difference. Then go and ask the tutor you submitted it to.
I'm just not sure I want to risk highlighting it if it's not an issue? But it's good to hear others read the regulations in the same way as I did originally!

Don't highlight it with the tutor you've submitted to, ask a different tutor if the 100 word paragraph will be a problem, if they say no, then happy days, just go and run it by the tutor you submitted it to. It's better to be upfront and say "I used this again, I didn't know how else to make the point and didn't think I needed to reference myself."

You should be alright. If anything i would book a meeting with an academic advisor to discuss the issue of plagiarism with them, so they can go over the fine details with you okay? Or failing that the head of your program? I wouldn't take it any higher though?!?
You've messed up twice now - you really need to read and make sure you understand the rules regarding plagiarism. Thoroughly. Universities makes huge efforts to spell them out in great detail. Does your library offer any additional training? Hopefully you won't find yourself in this situation again.
Original post by Duncan2012
You've messed up twice now - you really need to read and make sure you understand the rules regarding plagiarism. Thoroughly. Universities makes huge efforts to spell them out in great detail. Does your library offer any additional training? Hopefully you won't find yourself in this situation again.

Plagiarism I now understand in great detail after the initial problems, and used the materials available. Multiple submission has had no expansion beyond the regulations I quoted earlier - hence the confusion...
If you are ever unsure, just email, don't wait till after the fact.

Yes, self-plagiarism can be an issue. I don't know how strict it is, but it will show up on their system if it's too similar.
Give them an email to clarify, but next time please don't leave it this late.
Always reference everything, not just quotes but even ideas, even if they're previously yours and you can never be in trouble.

If you are at all worried, I would bring it up with a tutor as you have nothing to lose. If it's not a problem and you bring it up, then there's no issue. If it is a problem and you bring it up then that shows good willing on your part. If it is a problem and you don't bring it up then you'll in a worse position, considering you've already been called into one hearing about plagiarism.

If you're still struggling to understand the rules around plagiarism then I'd make an appointment to talk it through with a lecturer so that you're totally clear on what is and what isn't okay. It's important you get everything ironed out in the first year :h:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending