The Student Room Group

Question about placements

If the placement is far away from the uni accommodation, do you stay near your placement or still at uni?

Do you get reimbursed travel costs/alternative accommodation costs?

What would happen if you were unable to travel to your placement?

Sorry if these are stupid questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elise68
If the placement is far away from the uni accommodation, do you stay near your placement or still at uni?

Do you get reimbursed travel costs/alternative accommodation costs?

What would happen if you were unable to travel to your placement?

Sorry if these are stupid questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not stupid questions at all!

If the placement is far away, you will still live at your university accommodation and will have to travel to placement.

Travel costs can be reimbursed by NHS Bursary, although the cost of travel to placement has to be more than that which it costs you to get to university (I'm not sure about whether the distance has to be further, I think it is just that the cost has to be more). Whatever the cost difference is, you will be refunded that.

E.g. Say you walk to uni, cost = £0 and get the bus to placement £3 a day, you will be reimbursed the full amount. Say you get the bus to uni = £3 a day, but then you have to get the train to placement £7 a day, you will be reimbursed £4 a day. You have to detail each journey you have made on a claim form and submit it with receipts for travel costs once the placement is over. It is best to do this form as you go along, rather than leaving til the end of a long placement. (Taxis are not reimbursed - it has to be public transport).

The universities should allocate placements based on whether or not you drive, and where you live (That's what mine did), but there is still an expectation that you travel to anywhere within your university's allocated region/area. If you really can't get to a placement, beyond all reasonable travel methods, then you may be able to negotiate with your university to change placements.

Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by PaediatricStN
Not stupid questions at all!

If the placement is far away, you will still live at your university accommodation and will have to travel to placement.

Travel costs can be reimbursed by NHS Bursary, although the cost of travel to placement has to be more than that which it costs you to get to university (I'm not sure about whether the distance has to be further, I think it is just that the cost has to be more). Whatever the cost difference is, you will be refunded that.

E.g. Say you walk to uni, cost = £0 and get the bus to placement £3 a day, you will be reimbursed the full amount. Say you get the bus to uni = £3 a day, but then you have to get the train to placement £7 a day, you will be reimbursed £4 a day. You have to detail each journey you have made on a claim form and submit it with receipts for travel costs once the placement is over. It is best to do this form as you go along, rather than leaving til the end of a long placement. (Taxis are not reimbursed - it has to be public transport).

The universities should allocate placements based on whether or not you drive, and where you live (That's what mine did), but there is still an expectation that you travel to anywhere within your university's allocated region/area. If you really can't get to a placement, beyond all reasonable travel methods, then you may be able to negotiate with your university to change placements.

Hope that helps! :smile:

That has helped a lot, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
just to add... we are expected to travel up to 1.5 hours away from where we live. In some cases people had to go further and they weren't allowed to change placement.
Reply 4
Original post by lilibet01
just to add... we are expected to travel up to 1.5 hours away from where we live. In some cases people had to go further and they weren't allowed to change placement.

Yeah I've heard that, do you still stay at uni if you have to travel that far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess it's up to you, but because we all signed up to accept that, I doubt that accommodation costs would be reimbursed,
Original post by elise68
Yeah I've heard that, do you still stay at uni if you have to travel that far?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in NI so it works out slightly different here...but we can basically be on placement anywhere within the country.
People can swap placements but only if both people are still meeting their learning needs and both are placements applicable to such.
You can stay in accommodation nearer placement if it's too far to travel etc and you are reimbursed some of the cost but not all.
Travel is reimbursed but not at a great rate to be honest. I paid £45 for a bus pass and had to use my car on days there were no buses. I was only reimbursed £40. And I walk to university so all costs are over my usual travel expense to class.
However, when you sign up to the course you are agreeing that you understand placements can be some distance away and you're prepared to travel to such.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending