The Student Room Group

Losing weight: Lifting: Diet

Hi everybody

I want to lose weight between 8-10 kg, on NHS BMI scale I'm still under "Normal" however I'm 1-2 kg away from being overweight.

My aim is to be at the other end of the scale.

I don't like diet plans, calorie counting is as far as I can go and in general I'm fine with healthy eating (unless I go out, cant resist pizza)

last 3 weeks I have been going to gym twice a day (Lunch break 30 min on cross trainer) and after work for 1 h (classes, it's usually HIIT type of thing, boot camp, zumba...)

I drink 1l-1.5l water everyday.

Those weeks I didn't have any food, had salad maybe some chicken breast or soup after exercise. For dinner, usually had whatever we had at home but small plate, and if it was too heavy I would have greek yogurt. I didn't feel hungry most of the time, but everybody around me keep telling me it's not good to east so little and exercise twice a day 5 days in a row.

One friend told me weight lifting is good for fat burn and getting into shape (not worrying about number on scale, rather be healthy and look toned).

I have been trying to kind of lift weight, but every single muscle in my body hurts, I don't know if I'm doing it right or wrong, if I will damage my spine.

With weight lifting, I really get tired when I do sets, but later I feel guilty not doing enough? For example, if I jog or cross trainer I would feel tired whole evening, whereas with weight lifting I don't feel tired rather in pain and I don't know if it will work.

I need help:
1) What I'm eating, does it look enough? Do I have to have breakfast?
2) Should I continue with going to gym twice and weight exercises?
3) How long will it take me to lose 8-10 kg, or at least go from size 12 to 8?

Thanks a lot
Can't comment without knowing your weight, you need to cut 1000 kcal a day in order to lose 2lbs a week however. Yes you have to have breakfast.

You should go gym more, as a female you probably are worried this will make you more bulky (it wont you're eating at a deficit). The calorie burn from resistance training is minuscule compared to cardio however will reduce the muscle mass lost as you lose weight, trust me you want muscle if a women who lifts stands next to one who doesn't and both are the same weight the one who lifts will look considerably thinner.

8-10kg will take 9-12 weeks of a 1000 calorie deficit, this deficit can be from eating less or being more active, you'll lose the weight either way but as I explained earlier exercise, particularly resistance training is well worth it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lNurl
Hi everybodyI want to lose weight between 8-10 kg, on NHS BMI scale I'm still under "Normal" however I'm 1-2 kg away from being overweight.My aim is to be at the other end of the scale.I don't like diet plans, calorie counting is as far as I can go and in general I'm fine with healthy eating (unless I go out, cant resist pizza)last 3 weeks I have been going to gym twice a day (Lunch break 30 min on cross trainer) and after work for 1 h (classes, it's usually HIIT type of thing, boot camp, zumba...)I drink 1l-1.5l water everyday.Those weeks I didn't have any food, had salad maybe some chicken breast or soup after exercise. For dinner, usually had whatever we had at home but small plate, and if it was too heavy I would have greek yogurt. I didn't feel hungry most of the time, but everybody around me keep telling me it's not good to east so little and exercise twice a day 5 days in a row.One friend told me weight lifting is good for fat burn and getting into shape (not worrying about number on scale, rather be healthy and look toned).I have been trying to kind of lift weight, but every single muscle in my body hurts, I don't know if I'm doing it right or wrong, if I will damage my spine.With weight lifting, I really get tired when I do sets, but later I feel guilty not doing enough? For example, if I jog or cross trainer I would feel tired whole evening, whereas with weight lifting I don't feel tired rather in pain and I don't know if it will work.I need help:1) What I'm eating, does it look enough? Do I have to have breakfast?2) Should I continue with going to gym twice and weight exercises?3) How long will it take me to lose 8-10 kg, or at least go from size 12 to 8?Thanks a lot

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

That is the FAQ. Read all of it and then come back to me with questionsIn answer your questions

1) Nobody can tell you without knowing exact weights and brands you're eating etc. Myfitnesspal which is recommended in the FAQ is great for this

2) More would be better, 3 or 4 times a week depending on what you're doing

3) I'm not entirely convinced unless you're really quite tall that you need to lose 10kg. 10kg is a lot of weight. However, I would recommend losing 1/2 a lb, to 1 lb a week. Which is 500 calorie deficit. If you absolutely wanted to lose 10kg healthly, you're looking at 6 months

Original post by Oilfreak1
Can't comment without knowing your weight, you need to cut 1000 kcal a day in order to lose 2lbs a week however. Yes you have to have breakfast.

You should go gym more, as a female you probably are worried this will make you more bulky (it wont you're eating at a deficit). The calorie burn from resistance training is minuscule compared to cardio however will reduce the muscle mass lost as you lose weight, trust me you want muscle if a women who lifts stands next to one who doesn't and both are the same weight the one who lifts will look considerably thinner.

8-10kg will take 9-12 weeks of a 1000 calorie deficit, this deficit can be from eating less or being more active, you'll lose the weight either way but as I explained earlier exercise, particularly resistance training is well worth it.

OP isn't obese and will maintain on somewhere around 1500 calories a day. You're advocating a 1000 calories less than that, so eating 500 calories a day. That isn't healthy, for anybody.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Angry cucumber
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757That's the FAQ. Read all of it and then come back to me with questionsIn answer your questions 1) Nobody can tell you without knowing exact weights and brands you're eating etc. Myfitnesspal which is recommended in the FAQ is great for this2) More would be better, 3 or 4 times a week depending on what you're doing3) I'm not entirely convinced unless you're really quite tall that you need to lose 10kg. 10kg is a lot of weight. However, I would recommend losing 1/2 a lb, to 1 lb a week. Which is 500 calorie deficit. If you absolutely wanted to lose 10kg healthly, you're looking at 6 months

OP isn't obese and will maintain on somewhere around 1500 calories a day. You're advocating a 1000 calories less than that, so eating 500 calories a day. That isn't healthy, for anybody.

30 mins a day on elliptical alone boosts that 500 to 770ish, but yeah totally forgot that girls eat less mb even 800 kcal would probably screw you over.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

That is the FAQ. Read all of it and then come back to me with questionsIn answer your questions

1) Nobody can tell you without knowing exact weights and brands you're eating etc. Myfitnesspal which is recommended in the FAQ is great for this

2) More would be better, 3 or 4 times a week depending on what you're doing

3) I'm not entirely convinced unless you're really quite tall that you need to lose 10kg. 10kg is a lot of weight. However, I would recommend losing 1/2 a lb, to 1 lb a week. Which is 500 calorie deficit. If you absolutely wanted to lose 10kg healthly, you're looking at 6 months

Thank you very much, my height is 162 -weight 63kg, I want to be 54-55 kg at most.

I'm using my fitnesspal (for years now), it recommended me to have no more than 1250 calories per day. I rarely buy ready made food, I usually cook at home.

Currently, cut carbs almost to zero (if I crave too much I would have 1/4 of mini baguette)..

The thing is, roughly 1.5-2 years ago I was 67kg, and I reduced calorie intake to 1250 (I did eat sugar and carb and diary), no exercise, and I lost 300-500grams, and it was very quick to see me reach 60kg. but as soon as I was 60, I stopped weight lost, and I went on holidays where I couldn't control my food (and tbh I lost my will to continue too).

but now, I exercise and eat less, but scale is not moving, and when it does, it goes up not down.
Some says it's because muscle heavier than fat, I don't think 3 weeks is enough to burn fat and replace it with muscle.
Original post by lNurl
Thank you very much, my height is 162 -weight 63kg, I want to be 54-55 kg at most.

I'm using my fitnesspal (for years now), it recommended me to have no more than 1250 calories per day. I rarely buy ready made food, I usually cook at home.

Currently, cut carbs almost to zero (if I crave too much I would have 1/4 of mini baguette)..

The thing is, roughly 1.5-2 years ago I was 67kg, and I reduced calorie intake to 1250 (I did eat sugar and carb and diary), no exercise, and I lost 300-500grams, and it was very quick to see me reach 60kg. but as soon as I was 60, I stopped weight lost, and I went on holidays where I couldn't control my food (and tbh I lost my will to continue too).

but now, I exercise and eat less, but scale is not moving, and when it does, it goes up not down.
Some says it's because muscle heavier than fat, I don't think 3 weeks is enough to burn fat and replace it with muscle.

how are you logging your calories? could be you're consuming more than you think. I personally don't think it matters what you eat (for weight loss not general health) as long as you eat less than you use you will lose weight.

Muscle is denser than fat but if you're eating at a deficit you're more likely to be losing muscle than gaining it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
how are you logging your calories? could be you're consuming more than you think. I personally don't think it matters what you eat (for weight loss not general health) as long as you eat less than you use you will lose weight.

Muscle is denser than fat but if you're eating at a deficit you're more likely to be losing muscle than gaining it.

I have my fitnesspal, weight the food before eating/cooking.
and in the app whatever you put, comes up, and chose the most caloried version, to be on the safe side.
Original post by lNurl

How are you tracking your calories?
What does your diet consist of?
How active is your lifestyle?
Whats your TDEE (read the FAQ)?
What other things are you doing other than some weights twice a week?
Original post by lNurl
I have my fitnesspal, weight the food before eating/cooking.
and in the app whatever you put, comes up, and chose the most caloried version, to be on the safe side.

How often have you been weighing yourself and were they at similar times (Ex. first thing in the morning empty stomach)?
Reply 9
How often have you been weighing yourself and were they at similar times (Ex. first thing in the morning empty stomach)?

I have started weighting myself everyday, around 6.30 after the class.
From this week the plan is to weight myself once a week probably.
Original post by lNurl
I have started weighting myself everyday, around 6.30 after the class.
From this week the plan is to weight myself once a week probably.

weight fluctuates daily (i've "lost" 3lbs in a day once, that reappeared the morning after), try weekly like every Saturday morning or something (and update us on here if you want, i'm interested to see your progress :P).
Reply 11
How are you tracking your calories?
What does your diet consist of?

Chicken, meat, soup, salad, greek yogurt mainly.

How active is your lifestyle?
Home-work, sitting, watching tv, playing games, sometimes I go for a walk after I come home from gym.

Whats your TDEE (read the FAQ)?
I haven't, will do as as soon as I'm home.

What other things are you doing other than some weights twice a week?

Lunch breaks: 30 min on cross trainer or weights, afternoon depending on the day, boot camp, barbell exercises, HIIT, zumba (1 with instructor) MON-FRI, weekends, just walking roughly for 1 h.
Weights started last week, usually never done it before apart from barbell class where we did squats. So it's new to me.
Reply 12
weight fluctuates daily (i've "lost" 3lbs in a day once, that reappeared the morning after), try weekly like every Saturday morning or something (and update us on here if you want, i'm interested to see your progress :P).

Ahaha ok I will try, lets see.... I'm determined, but I don't have much hope, being inpatient is another issue (plus loving pizza, pasta and cheese)
Original post by lNurl
Ahaha ok I will try, lets see.... I'm determined, but I don't have much hope, being inpatient is another issue (plus loving pizza, pasta and cheese)

I think that's where a weekly cheat meal comes in handy lol that one thing to reward yourself with for being good all week can really help keep you going (make sure you don't ruin your entire weeks deficit in one meal if you do take my advice though).
Original post by .JC.
I'm unable to PM you, but I am happy to message you over Skype to talk some things over if you would like that?

My username is c-r-a-b-i

What on earth are you PM ing about from that post :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest