The Student Room Group

Will dropping a subject with a bad grade affect uni application?

First, a bit of background.
I take 4 AS subjects: English, RE, Art and French. I discovered pretty early in the year (about November) that I disliked both Art and French. I had to decide which I would probably do better in, and after a bit of confusion, I eventually decided I'd probably pass Art at a better standard than French. Rather than quit French there and then, I decided to stick out to the end of the year to at least get a grade and some UCAS points.

But I'm very bad at French compared to the rest of my class, I don't think my grade will be very good at all (C at the very best). I'm positive that I'm dropping it, even if by some miracle I did get a good grade, because I hate it too much. So, my question is, if I get a fail grade in French and drop it, does that look bad on my uni application? Could it affect my chances of an offer? I'm looking to go to a RG uni on a very competitive course.

Sorry if this seems a silly question, it's just I'm still not 100% on the applications process, and I'm not sure on what looks good on a uni application and what doesn't matter.

Thanks!:smile:
Reply 1
The university has access to your marks and so the way to tackle this is to include a statement in your application form that address the issue directly.
Reply 2
Original post by nerak99
The university has access to your marks and so the way to tackle this is to include a statement in your application form that address the issue directly.

Okay, so even if I drop the subject they'll still consider it in the application?

Thanks for the reply, and sorry if that sounds really obvious:biggrin:
@Cari98 I would say that a C would be okay, if your other grades are very good. At a stretch even a D might not affect your application. I think some universities require a fourth pass at a level.
Reply 4
It depends on demand and how relevant the subject is. If it was Medicine and you dropped Chemistry then no way but if it was say Economics and you dropped Geography then less of a problem (probably). Also, a C is not a disaster.
Reply 5
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
@Cari98 I would say that a C would be okay, if your other grades are very good. At a stretch even a D might not affect your application. I think some universities require a fourth pass at a level.

C is the absolute best I think I could possibly get, it's more likely going to be a D or E:s-smilie: I'm just concerned that a poor grade at AS, even if I drop it immediately, will look bad...thanks for your help though!
Reply 6
Original post by nerak99
It depends on demand and how relevant the subject is. If it was Medicine and you dropped Chemistry then no way but if it was say Economics and you dropped Geography then less of a problem (probably). Also, a C is not a disaster.

Well, I want to do journalism at Cardiff and drop french, I'm not too sure whether that would be seen as a subject that they could reject me for on the basis of dropping it with a poor grade.

Also, sorry if that C grade comment made me sound a bit pretentious!XD What I mean is, a C is what I'd get if I absolutely got the highest that I think is within my power, it looks more likely that I'll get a D or an E if I'm brutally honest with myself:s-smilie:
Reply 7
The fact that you are enquiring here and you have some weeks before exams is a positive.

You could just withdraw from French now but you need to explain why you only did 3 at AS.

I think you need to stop agonising about this, make a decision and move on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending