The Student Room Group

Travelling to Japan!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jodie_mort
Centre of Japan I believe, not sure where exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should be able to access lots of Japan, then. Also I would recommend looking for places that aren't massively touristy to get a real flavour of Japan. I went 45 minutes outside of Tokyo and it was fantastic - I was the only non-Japanese person there and it gave me a real sense of the country, whereas in Tokyo there are some areas just full of tourists. The Pokémon Centre is pretty great, though, and not too touristy, although I did go at 9 a.m.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Edminzodo
You should be able to access lots of Japan, then. Also I would recommend looking for places that aren't massively touristy to get a real flavour of Japan. I went 45 minutes outside of Tokyo and it was fantastic - I was the only non-Japanese person there and it gave me a real sense of the country, whereas in Tokyo there are some areas just full of tourists. The Pokémon Centre is pretty great, though, and not too touristy, although I did go at 9 a.m.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks for your advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Couple of suggestions for Tokyo:

- Sensoji shrine: Nice shrine with market, great atmosphere
- Tokyo Metropolitan government building: Free observation point, not the greatest of views but worth the visit
- Shinjuku at night
- Shibuya crossing: Some great pictures here and can do some shopping around there
- Ueno park: Near the hotel I was staying at. Very relaxed and has a handful of museums located within. Not the most exciting of places, but it was one of my favourite places to wind down after busy crowds all day
- Yoyogi park: Another nice park and very well kept. Has a corner where cosplayers hang out

Lots of other things to do also. The metro system is incredibly easy and efficient so you should be able to visit a tonne of sights in your 3 days. Hope you have fun!
Hi ! im living in Japan. I would suggest

-Maid cafe
-Akihabara
-Nikko
-Onsen(hot springs)Its everywhere in Japan
Reply 45
Original post by Neptuner
Couple of suggestions for Tokyo:

- Sensoji shrine: Nice shrine with market, great atmosphere
- Tokyo Metropolitan government building: Free observation point, not the greatest of views but worth the visit
- Shinjuku at night
- Shibuya crossing: Some great pictures here and can do some shopping around there
- Ueno park: Near the hotel I was staying at. Very relaxed and has a handful of museums located within. Not the most exciting of places, but it was one of my favourite places to wind down after busy crowds all day
- Yoyogi park: Another nice park and very well kept. Has a corner where cosplayers hang out

Lots of other things to do also. The metro system is incredibly easy and efficient so you should be able to visit a tonne of sights in your 3 days. Hope you have fun!

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by Duke Glacia
Hi ! im living in Japan. I would suggest

-Maid cafe
-Akihabara
-Nikko
-Onsen(hot springs)Its everywhere in Japan

Thanks for your suggestions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
I would suggest:
- Asakusa (old area of Tokyo)
- Hakone for onsen if you have time (please cover up any tattoos before going!). You can see Mount. Fuji from the cable car here I think. I recommend trying the black eggs.
- Akihabara for electronics or anime-related merchandise (it's not worth going if you're not interested in either I think)
- Shibuya, Harajuku, Daikinyama etc. for clothes shopping
- Lunch at Kimukatsu in Ebisu (mille-feuille type tonkatsu which you can't find in the UK)
- Sushi at Tsukiji
Reply 49
Original post by creamymami
I would suggest:
- Hakone for onsen if you have time (please cover up any tattoos before going!). You can see Mount. Fuji from the cable car here I think. I recommend trying the black eggs.
- Akihabara for electronics or anime-related merchandise (it's not worth going if you're not interested in either I think)
- Lunch at Kimukatsu in Ebisu (mille-feuille type tonkatsu which you can't find in the UK)
- Sushi at Tsukiji

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by creamymami
I would suggest:
- Sushi at Tsukiji

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Reply 52
I would definitely agree with everyone who's suggested Sensoji/Asakusa. The buildings are amazing and the market is a great place to pick up souvenirs. I've been up the Skytree as well, but it's pretty much exactly the same as any other viewpoint, perhaps with a few more shops on the way out 😂 I also went with the scouts so I'm unsure how much the ticket cost so I can't really advise you on whether it was worth it.

A couple of tips:

We all had 'suica' cards when I went, which are like oyster cards but they can also be used to purchase food and other items from 7/11 stores (and maybe some other stores I can't remember). This made paying for things a lot easier, particularly as it could be difficult to count out coins in a rush.

Try to learn some Japanese. When we were waiting for trains, we often wanted to check we were on the right platform but most people I approached didn't speak English and would try to avoid conversation. Once I got into the hang of practicing Japanese they were all very willing to help.

If you haven't already, try looking on Youtube for travel vlogs/top 10 things to do videos because it can really help to see people visiting somewhere and giving their opinions, rather than just reading in a guide book.

Hope you have an amazing time! 😁
A couple of tips:

We all had 'suica' cards when I went, which are like oyster cards but they can also be used to purchase food and other items from 7/11 stores (and maybe some other stores I can't remember). This made paying for things a lot easier, particularly as it could be difficult to count out coins in a rush.

Try to learn some Japanese. When we were waiting for trains, we often wanted to check we were on the right platform but most people I approached didn't speak English and would try to avoid conversation. Once I got into the hang of practicing Japanese they were all very willing to help.

Hope you have an amazing time! 😁

Agree about Suica, else you will end up with a pocket full of coins if you are using Tokyo subway a lot, which I heartily recommend. Beware that some stations are vast, allow time, especially at rush hour and you will get lost. Even stations on a single line can have many exits, which can be great if you know the right one for your destination. If you are visiting anyone that's not a tourist destination, get them to fax/email a map or at least Japanese directions. Hotel can help with this too. Because Japanese street numbers are not consecutive. Something like 3-17-46 is the prefecture, district and plot number -I think I remmber that right, so 20 and 22 are never next door!

As for people not wanting to help, Japanese are generally enormously helpful. But their psyche is to avoid embarrassment. So not speaking English, or not knowing the answer to your question and having to say "no" is a big deal. Remembering this will help you phrase questions and inform your encounters!

Can I say one last thing about some of the comments on here about Fukushima, Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I'm a mature student, but both the recent Fukushima disaster, and WW2 bombings of H and N, were massive world events. And Hiroshima was on the news just two weeks ago with Obama's visit. If you're reading this and don't at least know the basics of this history, inform yourself. Travel wisely, you will learn more.
(edited 7 years ago)
Explore outside Tokyo. I was in Tokyo for 3 days to celebrate NYE and only went to like 5 places. Do not make the same mistake as me

Shibuya - over rated, Roppongi - same as Shibuya.

Take the tube and go somewhere random, done that, was pretty cool.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pjs736_student
As for people not wanting to help, Japanese are generally enormously helpful. But their psyche is to avoid embarrassment. So not speaking English, or not knowing the answer to your question and having to say "no" is a big deal. Remembering this will help you phrase questions and inform your encounters!

I think I worded my point badly, but this explanation is spot on. If the people we talked to couldn't speak English they were very apologetic about it, hence why they avoided conversation with us. But after testing out my (basic) Japanese, which could be completely disjointed at times, everyone was very helpful.

I'm also quite surprised at some views of Hiroshima/Nagasaki on here. They are both perfectly safe to visit. I've not been to Nagasaki so I can't say anything about that, but if you do get the chance to visit Hiroshima I would seriously recommend it. Visiting the memorial gardens and museum was probably the most moving moment of my whole life and I believe everyone should experience it if given the chance!
Reply 57
Thank you everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That Backpacker Lee blog is amazing! :smile:
I lived and worked in Japan for 3 years as a professional dancer. Not in Tokyo though, but in three very different areas. [ Ito, Minakami and Kinosaki]. My favourite place was a town called Ito in Shizuoka Prefecture. It's not too far from Mount Fuji and Tokyo is about 3 hours away on the train. Nice town with some good shops [well used to be] and they have a lovely tranquil beach. Can't say for definate what it is like now. I was last there in 1991. No foreigners [except for us 6 girls and 1 boy], so we got lots of stares and finger pointings going on with the local children who were not used to seeing Gaijins [foreigners]. If you can get to Kyoto, the old capital , go. Far more rewarding than Tokyo, I think. Oh and don't be dismayed by all the young hip things [in Tokyo] wearing very expensive clothes. The Japanese mostly rent, so because they don't have mortgages, have plenty of disposable income. In many areas around Tokyo it's like a fashion show.

Quick Reply

Latest