The Student Room Group

About to fail first year. What can I do?

So I've been really depressed all this year and have missed lots of important assignments. Even if I do great in my exams (as if), I will not get the required pass mark.

I know I should have sought help a while ago but it's too late now. I like the course and the uni, and I want another chance. Is it at all possible to re-do the year next year, or have I completely destroyed my chances? I don't want to disappoint everyone in my life but I think I might have ****ed up really bad beyond redemption...

What is the most realistic thing I'll be doing next year? Will I have to take a gap year and re-apply for the year after? I can't talk to anyone in my life about it right now: they will all be super disappointed and maybe even angry.

I just have no idea what I can do and I'm super scared :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MonsterBull123
So I've been really depressed all this year and have missed lots of important assignments. Even if I do great in my exams (as if), I will not get the required pass mark.

I know I should have sought help a while ago but it's too late now. I like the course and the uni, and I want another chance. Is it at all possible to re-do the year next year, or have I completely destroyed my chances? I don't want to disappoint everyone in my life but I think I might have ****ed up really bad beyond redemption...

What is the most realistic thing I'll be doing next year? Will I have to take a gap year and re-apply for the year after? I can't talk to anyone in my life about it right now: they will all be super disappointed and maybe even angry.

This is precisely what personal tutors are for. Start by talking to yours.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
This is precisely what personal tutors are for. Start by talking to yours.

I've missed my tutorials with her for a while now: we don't really get on. Couldn't imagine having this convo with her. Maybe another member of the uni but still

This is the general consensus of my uni:
If you fail all your modules, you may either be given the opportunity to retake exams and coursework in August (which I'm sure you'd have to pay for and would likely be capped at 40%) or restart the year. If you only fail one or two modules, you may still be able to progress to your second year but would have to resit those failed modules on top of your year 2 modules. I doubt you'd be asked to leave. The only way that is likely to happen is if you haven't turned up to any lectures/seminars and have failed everything miserably.

Best to check your university policies though because they do differ
Original post by cherryred90s
The only way that is likely to happen is if you haven't turned up to any lectures/seminars and have failed everything miserably.

:frown:
:frown:

Is that the position that you're currently in? Have you been submitting coursework on time?
Original post by cherryred90s
Is that the position that you're currently in?

More or less: recently I have missed a lot due to barely wanting to leave my room and if I were to continue I'd realistically have to retake the entire year. Retaking a few exams won't help. I was hoping I'd be allowed to do this but it seems like they probably won't let me and I'm **** out of luck..
Reply 7
More or less: recently I have missed a lot due to barely wanting to leave my room and if I were to continue I'd realistically have to retake the entire year. Retaking a few exams won't help. I was hoping I'd be allowed to do this but it seems like they probably won't let me and I'm **** out of luck..

I was in your position this year, I started university (first year) and due to depression I did not keep on top of my work and thus I fell behind massively, I contacted my tutor and she recommended an "Interruption of studies" whereby I would leave university for a year and continue where I left off next year, she told me that this was better than simply failing my exams because the option to retake the year may not be given if you totally flop everything. Note: you need medical proof that you are not fit to study.
Reply 8

I'm in a similar boat. I have failed second year and will likely be required to repeat the year. All the best to you, and I know it's easier said than done but please try not to worry. Find out your university's regulations regarding repeats/resits and you'll know your next step. I am also scared for my future but hoping for the repeat to yield an ok outcome. I am confident you will be fine.
(edited 7 years ago)

You may have to resit the year but talk to your university advisors or email someone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending