The Student Room Group

OCR AS New Spec Essays?

Hi,

If anyone is doing the below history topic, do you have any ideas for essay titles that may could come up?
Our teacher hasn't given us any (other than the spec paper), but I would like to plan a few potential ones on both James and Charles for revision.

Thank you!

A Level History A OCR
Unit Y108
The Early Stuarts and the Origins of the Civil War 1603–1660

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing that :smile:

Do you have the textbook? There are loads of good ones in there.
Reply 2
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I'm doing that :smile:

Do you have the textbook? There are loads of good ones in there.

Ooh that's fab, it seems not that many people are! How are you finding revision?

No, I have a book which is full of the sources but not of any essay titles.

Would you mind sending me some? Sorry to be a pain :h:
Original post by Helloitsme!

A Level History A OCR
Unit Y108
The Early Stuarts and the Origins of the Civil War 1603–1660

Moved this to the History forum for you :h:
I am! What other topic are you doing?:smile:
Hi, my History teacher gave us 10 potentia essay titles - 5 for James and 5 for Charles.
James I 1603-1625
1. How far were James' financial problems of his own making?
2. 'James failed to achieve what he intended in foreign policy.' How far do you agree?
3. How successful was the religious policy of James?
4. Why did James have problems with his parliaments?
5. What were James' succeses and what were his failures?
Charles I 1625-1646
1. How far was the Duke of Buckingham to blame for Charles' difficulties with parliament in the years, 1625-1629?
2. How successful was Personal Rule?
3. To what exent did Royal power weaken in the years 1640-1641?
4. How far was Charles I personally to blame for the outbreak of the First Civil War?
5. Why did Parliament win and the Royalists lose the First Civil War?

These questions are quite broad and if you plan the essays for these questions, even if they are just small paragraphs, I've found its easy to get all of the points in them as the questions may be worded differently but you would still have the right content. I also have some areas to revise for Section A (sources) of the exam, let me know if you would like to see.

Good Luck!
Original post by amourpink
Hi, my History teacher gave us 10 potentia essay titles - 5 for James and 5 for Charles.
James I 1603-1625
2. 'James failed to achieve what he intended in foreign policy.' How far do you agree?
Charles I 1625-1646
1. How far was the Duke of Buckingham to blame for Charles' difficulties with parliament in the years, 1625-1629?
4. How far was Charles I personally to blame for the outbreak of the First Civil War?

These questions are quite broad and if you plan the essays for these questions, even if they are just small paragraphs, I've found its easy to get all of the points in them as the questions may be worded differently but you would still have the right content. I also have some areas to revise for Section A (sources) of the exam, let me know if you would like to see.

Good Luck!

Question number 1 wouldn't come up as it was in the spec paper! I was really worried as my teacher has been setting us exam questions which seem far to specific i.e. 'The emergence of Arminianism threatened the religious stability of England. How far do you agree'? I wouldn't mind planning some and sending them through with someone else. Also, I would love to see it for Section A. What non-british study are you doing?
Reply 7
Original post by 10studentlife
I am! What other topic are you doing?:smile:

The Cold War in Europe, you? :smile:
Reply 8
Question number 1 wouldn't come up as it was in the spec paper! I was really worried as my teacher has been setting us exam questions which seem far to specific i.e. 'The emergence of Arminianism threatened the religious stability of England. How far do you agree'? I wouldn't mind planning some and sending them through with someone else. Also, I would love to see it for Section A. What non-british study are you doing?

That sounds like more A2 questions, my teacher says they will be broad and open ended like the spec papers...
Reply 9
James I 1603-1625
Charles I 1625-1646

Good Luck!
]

Thank you, these are so helpful!
Good Luck to you too, let me know how the exam goes! :smile:
That sounds like more A2 questions, my teacher says they will be broad and open ended like the spec papers...

I agree, I'm sure your teacher is correct, I feel underprepared by mine!
I agree, I'm sure your teacher is correct, I feel underprepared by mine!

Our Stuarts teacher has been the compete opposite, she terrifies us, but she has taught us to A2 so we were quite relieved when the questions are slightly more straight forward than she told us!

Hows everything going in terms of revision?

Hi there, our teacher gave us the following to revise for Section A:
1) the course of negotiations between King and Parliament/Army (why did negotiations for a political settlement fail?)
2) What were the impacts of Charles' execution?
3) Divisions in England (Parliament v Army; moderates v Radicals)
4) Commonwealth and Protectorate
- the challenges faced by the Rump and its successes
- the reasons why the Protectorate was established
- the success of Oliver Cromwell and eventual failure of the Protectorate
5) Why was Charles II restored as monarch?
6) How popular was the Restoration?
I'm sorry I'm late with the reply I couldn't find the revision sheet :frown:
And I am also sitting the Italy & Unification paper, I forgot what it's called!! :angry: How about you?
1) the course of negotiations between King and Parliament/Army (why did negotiations for a political settlement fail?)
And I am also sitting the Italy & Unification paper, I forgot what it's called!! :angry: How about you?

I dont think Cromwell will come up as it was in the spec paper, luckily its the larger topic from the sources. I think it will be on the settlement. and the Cold War, I despite it..

Thank you! :smile:
I dont think Cromwell will come up as it was in the spec paper, luckily its the larger topic from the sources. I think it will be on the settlement. and the Cold War, I despite it..

I hope it's on the settlement, or the restoration of the monarchy!

There is too much to know with the whole Rump/Cromwell/Protectorate saga lol :smile:
I hope it's on the settlement, or the restoration of the monarchy!

There is too much to know with the whole Rump/Cromwell/Protectorate saga lol :smile:

What is the restoration of the monarchy?
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you think we could get asked about any of these, my teacher set them they seem way too specific..
‘The Irish Rebellion was the crucial factor in 1641-42 which caused the Civil War to break out’ HFDYA?
TWE was the Grand Remonstrance of 1641 the event that brought about the division in parliament which led to Civil War in 1642?
TWE was Charles I attempted ‘arrest of the Five Members’ the crucial turning point which to war? ‘Without the intervention of the Scots, following the Solemn League and Covenant of 1643, parliament would not have won the 1st Civil War’ HFDYA?
Do you think we could get asked about any of these, my teacher set them they seem way too specific..
‘The Irish Rebellion was the crucial factor in 1641-42 which caused the Civil War to break out’ HFDYA?
TWE was the Grand Remonstrance of 1641 the event that brought about the division in parliament which led to Civil War in 1642?
TWE was Charles I attempted ‘arrest of the Five Members’ the crucial turning point which to war? ‘Without the intervention of the Scots, following the Solemn League and Covenant of 1643, parliament would not have won the 1st Civil War’ HFDYA?

They do seem super specific, but then they are factors that you would talk about anyways in an essay like that- so I'm not sure?
Sorry!
They do seem super specific, but then they are factors that you would talk about anyways in an essay like that- so I'm not sure?
Sorry!

Yeah I think you're right. What do you think will come up? ugh I'm so nervous. Anyone got any ideas on how you would structure an essay on Charles foreign policy or James religion?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending