The Student Room Group

Taking art foundation/graphic design degree with no art A-levels or GCSE

I have always been an incredibly creative person and excelled in art throughout my school career.

However, due to illness and spending much of year 10 and 11 in hospital, I was unable to take graphic design to GCSE level, even though I had prior selected it and been a straight A student in art until that point.

I would like to study it at university level, and my question is, do you think it would be possible for me to put together my own portfolio to get onto art-foundation/graphic design?

If so, how long could this take?

I have a book of my sketches, and a few paintings. I have a creative mind and a love of Da Vinci so I could extend and add some more creative concepts and incorporate elements of graphic design but I'd need to know where I could get more official guidance as to what to include.

Also, if I got Student Finance for the art foundation year, would I also be able to apply for finance for the actual degree and would this be classified separately?

And finally, could I apply through Extra/Clearing or is that not possible with art and design courses?

Advice much appreciated.
Reply 1
im doing a foundation course for engineering (had a sudden change of heart a few months ago) and the student finance will treat the foundation year as an extra year to your complete degree, so you just have to submit the course you want to do, and theyll recognise the amount youll need.

hope that helps :smile:
Original post by J_89
I have always been an incredibly creative person and excelled in art throughout my school career.

However, due to illness and spending much of year 10 and 11 in hospital, I was unable to take graphic design to GCSE level, even though I had prior selected it and been a straight A student in art until that point.

I would like to study it at university level, and my question is, do you think it would be possible for me to put together my own portfolio to get onto art-foundation/graphic design?

I have a book of my sketches, and a few paintings. I have a creative mind and a love of Da Vinci so I could extend and add some more creative concepts and incorporate elements of graphic design but I'd need to know where I could get more official guidance as to what to include.

Also, if I got Student Finance for the art foundation year, would I also be able to apply for finance for the actual degree and would this be classified separately?

And finally, could I apply through Extra/Clearing or is that not possible with art and design courses?

Advice much appreciated.

An art foundation is a level 3 qualification (equivalent to A levels) it's therefore not covered by the same finance arrangements as a degree (if you're under 19 then your tuition is free, if you're over 19 you can get an advanced learner loan to cover tuition, the only support for living costs is any bursaries available from the provider and income support if you're living away from home and meet other criteria).

That also means they aren't covered by the UCAS system.

Having no qualifications isn't a deal breaker - it's increasingly common - but you will need to bring together a good portfolio. Try and find some online ideas for projects to develop and follow through so you can build up your portfolio. There's a stickied thread that includes some excellent advice on what your portfolio should look like.

Contact some providers - you might be best starting with colleges and universities close to home if funding is an issue for you - to see if they're still accepting applications and explain your situation.

A foundation diploma is specifically designed to help you develop your style and your portfolio for applying to universities so what they're looking for is generally promise, creativity, dedication and and understanding of what you will be expected to do. You're not expected to be the finished product in your portfolio but you're supposed to show potential and good fundamental skills.
Original post by J_89

Advice much appreciated.

Try this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974132

Quick Reply

Latest