The Student Room Group

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this? Seriously? Why doesn't this anger people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Think you are being a bit dramatic and have the wrong approach.
It makes sense for employers or recruiters becayse it helps them identify enough people who fit the criteria ro meet their recruitment needs. This saves time and money. Exeperience means someone who has done it before and will be able to do it again, which makes sense from an employers point of view.

Most people get on with getting experience or persuading the employer they already have the skills needed.

Your entire post is wrong and naive.

Firstly you say I am being over-dramatic. I am not. If I don't find work I lose my home. There are these things called bills, you may have heard of them. I could lose my car and as I stay in the middle of nowhere with zero public transport I would be ****ed. I have incurred debt and my overdraft is maxed.

I have £220 in my bank account and £160 is due for my rent. You may have heard of a little thing called eating. We need to do it to stay alive. £40 wont allow me to eat very long now will it?

So no, not dramatic at all.

I also do not have the wrong approach. You say this approach allows recruiters to save money but it has already been established that it does not. My employer hired old people who are lazy simply because they have experience of doing a job that simply doesn't require it. These people are inefficient and lazy and therefore their lower productivity costs the company money. In this casual job I had, one pallet when processed was worth £3,300,000. I processed 11 pallets despite having no experience. Everyone else managed nine. That is a hell of a lot more money. I am 22% more efficient than everyone else going by my maths.

Companies also complain constantly that they are losing hundreds of millions in business as they cannot find staff. My contention is that they can but they are putting unnecessary barriers to entry in place.

You also state that employers look for those with experience as it means they can do the job again but I have already told you that I have witnessed first hand that this is not the case. I have worked with many experienced people who are useless. I also stated that I have done these jobs much more efficiently. I also am very clearly referring to jobs which require little experience. I am not talking of hiring a brain surgeon or a French tutor with no experience of speaking French. I am referring to van drivers, shelf stackers, cleaners etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by stephenb1608
Your entire post is wrong and naive.

Firstly you say I am being over-dramatic. I am not. If I don't find work I lose my home. There are these things called bills, you may have heard of them. I could lose my car and as I stay in the middle of nowhere with zero public transport I would be ****ed. I have incurred debt and my overdraft is maxed.

I have £220 in my bank account and £16 is due for my rent. You may have heard of a little thing called eating. We need to do it to stay alive. £40 wont allow me to eat very long now will it?

So no, not dramatic at all.

I also do not have the wrong approach. You say this approach allows recruiters to save money but it has already been established that it does not. My employer hired old people who are lazy simply because they have experience of doing a job that simply doesn't require it. These people are inefficient and lazy and therefore their lower productivity costs the company money. In this casual job I had, one pallet when processed was worth £3,300,000. I processed 11 pallets despite having no experience. Everyone else managed nine. That is a hell of a lot more money. I am 22% more efficient than everyone else going by my maths.

Companies also complain constantly that they are losing hundreds of millions in business as they cannot find staff. My contention is that they can but they are putting unnecessary barriers to entry in place.

You also state that employers look for those with experience as it means they can do the job again but I have already told you that I have witnessed first hand that this is not the case. I have worked with many experienced people who are useless. I also stated that I have done these jobs much more efficiently. I also am very clearly referring to jobs which require little experience. I am not talking of hiring a brain surgeon or a French tutor with no experience of speaking French. I am referring to van drivers, shelf stackers, cleaners etc.

Not really.

No matter how angry you are it does you diddly squat worth of good. You can either take steps which increase your chance of getting where you want to go or you can post on TSR and shake your fist.

Looking for experience does allow them to cut down the numbers and gives them the best chance of finding someone appropriate at the min cost. Unfortunately some of those who are rejected and could also do the job are rejected as well. That's just the way it is. Even if its someone like a cleaner. If you are that good, then am sure you will use your initiative to circumvent this barrier and persuade employers to give you an opportunity.

You could do this by applying direct or gaining experience from elsewhere.
Your efforts should be targeted at finding as quickly as you can the person who can and will give you a job despite your lack of experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending