The Student Room Group

Am I in the wrong? TW: ED

Firstly I have an eating disorder. When people mention gaining weight I get very uncomfortable.
Earlier today my mother and I were discussing a family member, and she started talking about them going up a size. I just said I didn't feel comfortable with her saying that and she started getting very angry, saying that I just have to get used to people talking about it (if people don't know about their situation it's not their fault and I can't hold that against them, but this is my mum who knows). She then went on about how everything is left to her and I am selfish and things along those lines. I said some things I regret, but I think she went a bit too far. There are things that she doesn't like to talk about (holes and stuff she finds disgusting) and I respect that. So why can't she respect that?
I can't really tell anyone about this so I'm just hoping for a second opinion
Original post by Anonymous
Firstly I have an eating disorder. When people mention gaining weight I get very uncomfortable.
Earlier today my mother and I were discussing a family member, and she started talking about them going up a size. I just said I didn't feel comfortable with her saying that and she started getting very angry, saying that I just have to get used to people talking about it (if people don't know about their situation it's not their fault and I can't hold that against them, but this is my mum who knows). She then went on about how everything is left to her and I am selfish and things along those lines. I said some things I regret, but I think she went a bit too far. There are things that she doesn't like to talk about (holes and stuff she finds disgusting) and I respect that. So why can't she respect that?
I can't really tell anyone about this so I'm just hoping for a second opinion

Sorry to hear about all of this, it would be good to sit down with your mum and have a conversation about all of this. Unfortunately, she is right about the fact that sometimes these unwanted topics will creep up in conversations and people won't be aware of your ED. It can be difficult sometimes to deal with family members going through stuff, but I don't think she truly means those things especially if they were said out of anger, in the same way you regret the things you've said -in the end it's frustrating on all sides. I hope you are pursuing therapy, setting positive routines for yourself and working on your ED. Ted talks are also good to listen to and doing nice things for yourself will hopefully help with your recovery - wishing you the best. Stay Strong!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending