The Student Room Group

Post tonsilectomy diet?

On day 3 and have been able to down scratchy/textured food so far.

Really wanting some chicken nuggets and chips now but worried it will lead to bleeding? NHS site says to eat as much textured food as I can while other sources (+ my GF) warn against eating hard food so soon as it could cause bleeding.

Any advice?
You probably don't want to stay on a soft diet for ever so at some point you're going to have to go back to eating your normal food. My recommendation would be to try it carefully, I'd be prepared for it to be a lousy experience though and have a back up plan in case you run in to any difficulties swallowing your first choice meal. Don't force things!

You don't want to skimp on food after an operation because that can mess up your healing, getting back to your usual routine as soon as possible is the best thing.
Reply 2
Original post by Oilfreak1
On day 3 and have been able to down scratchy/textured food so far.

Really wanting some chicken nuggets and chips now but worried it will lead to bleeding? NHS site says to eat as much textured food as I can while other sources (+ my GF) warn against eating hard food so soon as it could cause bleeding.

Any advice?

If NHS suggests proper food i'd suggest you give it a gosome softer options like boiled potato or well cooked pasta and try to build up. If you want to try nuggets then give it a go but chew it really well and take it slow. Might also help to cut things up small so you can almost just swallow them as is.
If you don't think you're up to eating much you might want to eat what you can and suppliment the rest with things like soup, gravy, smoothies or even meal replacement shakes. Getting enough drink and nutrients is important for recovery so do what you can to keep that up.

See how you feel and base what you do on that. You don't want to be eating soft diet forever so give it a go with something you like and just see how it goes. If you are really worried about it causing bleeding you could always check with a pharmacist or your doctor though. No harm in asking :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Nefarious
You probably don't want to stay on a soft diet for ever so at some point you're going to have to go back to eating your normal food. My recommendation would be to try it carefully, I'd be prepared for it to be a lousy experience though and have a back up plan in case you run in to any difficulties swallowing your first choice meal. Don't force things!

You don't want to skimp on food after an operation because that can mess up your healing, getting back to your usual routine as soon as possible is the best thing.

Original post by Kindred
If NHS suggests proper food i'd suggest you give it a gosome softer options like boiled potato or well cooked pasta and try to build up. If you want to try nuggets then give it a go but chew it really well and take it slow. Might also help to cut things up small so you can almost just swallow them as is.
If you don't think you're up to eating much you might want to eat what you can and suppliment the rest with things like soup, gravy, smoothies or even meal replacement shakes. Getting enough drink and nutrients is important for recovery so do what you can to keep that up.

See how you feel and base what you do on that. You don't want to be eating soft diet forever so give it a go with something you like and just see how it goes. If you are really worried about it causing bleeding you could always check with a pharmacist or your doctor though. No harm in asking :smile:

Problem is ive been eating toast/burgers/nuggets since i came around because it feels so good afterwards... I guess if im gonna bleed the damage is done.

On the plus side day 4 and im now in way too much pain to even consider nuggets, might have some soggy toast to clean up the wound though.
Reply 4
The time for bleeding is most likely passed for you.. I had mine out last year and they said to wait a short spell before going for the harder rough stuff :smile: you are on the homeward stretch now if it's any comfort and feel better soon :smile:
Reply 5
Problem is ive been eating toast/burgers/nuggets since i came around because it feels so good afterwards... I guess if im gonna bleed the damage is done.

On the plus side day 4 and im now in way too much pain to even consider nuggets, might have some soggy toast to clean up the wound though.

If that's what you've been eating already i'm sure it would have made you bleed already if it was going to. Since you're in too much pain at the moment i'd stick to softer food until the pain is better, but I wouldn't worry about the bleeding.
Reply 6
@Samwin
I read days 5-10 is the time for bleeding is that not true? Im on day 5 and can still eat normally, does it get worse from here on out? I've read so many horror stories abour the pain but im not feeling it? (Yet?)
@Kindred
The concern over bleeding is the only thing that stops me from completely eating as normal lol americans avoid hard food because it can cause bleeding but every NHS source tells me to eat aggresively don't know who to trust :| (although been eating burgers etc consistently days 1-4 and not bled yet).
Reply 7
@Samwin
I read days 5-10 is the time for bleeding is that not true? Im on day 5 and can still eat normally, does it get worse from here on out? I've read so many horror stories abour the pain but im not feeling it? (Yet?)
@Kindred
The concern over bleeding is the only thing that stops me from completely eating as normal lol americans avoid hard food because it can cause bleeding but every NHS source tells me to eat aggresively don't know who to trust :| (although been eating burgers etc consistently days 1-4 and not bled yet).

Good middle ground would probably be softer normal foods (burgers, chips, nuggets whatever) but nothing crunchy or hard like crisps or crackers. Sounds like you can pretty much eat whatever you feel like as long as you take it slow when trying more solid/ hard things. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Kindred
Good middle ground would probably be softer normal foods (burgers, chips, nuggets whatever) but nothing crunchy or hard like crisps or crackers. Sounds like you can pretty much eat whatever you feel like as long as you take it slow when trying more solid/ hard things. :smile:

Small fresh ammounts of blood showing up in my saliva parents refusing to take me A&E as they have work in the morning- is it worth calling an ambulance for suvh a small ammount if blood?
Reply 9
Small fresh ammounts of blood showing up in my saliva parents refusing to take me A&E as they have work in the morning- is it worth calling an ambulance for suvh a small ammount if blood?

Call 111 and see what they say. I doubt it is anything serious enough for an ambulance but it is probably something you need to get checked soon. Tell them you aren't sure how you could get there and they may be able to help.
If need be could you call a taxi or ask a neighbour for a lift?
Hospital gave me dry toast the night of my tonsillectomy and were adamant that the best thing to do would be to eat normally, just avoid hot/spicy foods. Just take your time and stay well hydrated as your throat being dry will likely cause more discomfort than anything you eat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I had my tonsillectomy today. I ate a ham and cucumber sandwich about 20 minutes after i woke up from the general, and then had 20 nuggets and chips with a coke and a oreo mcflurry, right now i currently havent taken pain killers for around 5 hours and i would say the swallowing sensation isnt as bad as Quinsy or Tonsillitis, the back of my throat looks absolutely disgusting though :frown:

Does the pain get worse? Why would it? Ive eaten normal food today and i can only assume a spike in pain perhaps in the morning if i have a dry throat, but overall? I cant see my pain increasing which is good.

Quick Reply

Latest