The Student Room Group

New job offer (temporary contract)

I have never posted in a forum before and I am reluctant to do so but I really need some advice... I currently work within apprenticeship recruitment, I am 19 years old and have worked for a training provider since leaving school and completing an apprenticeship myself. The company are very old fashioned, not supportive and very frustrating at times and I find myself doing 3 peoples jobs in 35 hours per week. I have recently been headhunted for a similar position, further away from home but for £18,000 per year plus bonuses, I am currently on £12,500 with no bonuses. HOWEVER, this is a 12 month maternity cover temporary contract, with the possibility of a full time job as they are expanding as a company. They are a forward thinking company who I would be proud to work for and happy to travel. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Any tips would be really helpful as my family and friends have mixed opinions.
Thank you for reading.
Original post by shannonlp

You will earn 50% more in a year. Personally, I'd bet on myself to do a good job in the new role and get a permanent contract out of it. Maternity contracts are always a risk, but if you throw yourself into the role, then if the Mum doesn't come back they will keep you on, and if she does, you still have a year to demonstrate your value.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
You will earn 50% more in a year. Personally, I'd bet on myself to do a good job in the new role and get a permanent contract out of it. Maternity contracts are always a risk, but if you throw yourself into the role, then if the Mum doesn't come back they will keep you on, and if she does, you still have a year to demonstrate your value.

Thank you, I am leaning towards this decision as it's a brilliant opportunity. I just hope I can prove myself!
Id take it... you're only young so i doubt you're relying on the money for a mortgage or anything so worst come to worst and you end up jobless you won't be screwed and you can tell your next potential employer your last salary was 18k which will set you up for a better role in the future
Reply 4
Take the job, you'll earn more and could get a good job out of it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending