The Student Room Group

Dating advice

Thinking of going on a date with a girl I like... Any suggestions for things to do or not to do would be greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
??
Reply 2
Do something neutral like a film and see how that goes before trying anything too much. Gauge interest after that i'd say
Take her for a meal at a Thai restaurant or somewhere spicy... spicy food will get her blood running and get her in the mood, I read it in Men's health but trust me it works
Do something that will allow conversations, films are crap for this - you spend 2 hours ignoring eachother then try to make awkward small talk as you say goodbye.

Beyond that, just be yourself and have a good time. If you're having a good time, she probably is also.
Don't pretend to be something your not
Reply 6
Go for a pizza or food before then if it's going well say lets go see a film. It worked for me, then if you go see a film first then it may get akward and forceful conversation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yeah, like the idea of cinema tbh because it gives something to talk about but then i guess you don't get to know them unless you've done something prior to the cinema....
If you want to have a first date, something short and sweet like a drink (alcoholic or tea/coffee/milkshakes) is the way forward. You talk, you see how you get on, if it's not going great you have your one drink and leave (or they do), if it's working you then head off for food or whatever.

I'd really recommend it over meeting up, watching a film, leaving and never having spoken more than half a dozen sentences.

Plus I once took a girl to an indie film festival and the french film turned out to be about forced prostitution and rape. Worst date ever.
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Take her for a meal at a Thai restaurant or somewhere spicy... spicy food will get her blood running and get her in the mood, I read it in Men's health but trust me it works

Lol-how many girls did that work on?? :rolleyes:
Original post by Elivercury
If you want to have a first date, something short and sweet like a drink (alcoholic or tea/coffee/milkshakes) is the way forward. You talk, you see how you get on, if it's not going great you have your one drink and leave (or they do), if it's working you then head off for food or whatever.

I'd really recommend it over meeting up, watching a film, leaving and never having spoken more than half a dozen sentences.

Plus I once took a girl to an indie film festival and the french film turned out to be about forced prostitution and rape. Worst date ever.

I highly recommend that you watch the trailers next time! :smile:
Original post by LostGirlOnTheRun
I highly recommend that you watch the trailers next time! :smile:

It was an indie film festival, we just grabbed whatever was on next!

Incidentally the film following it was "Black Power, The Movie", so I'm unsure how much better/worse that one would have gone.

Thankfully I'm out of the dating game so will not need to worry about a "next time"!
Original post by Elivercury
It was an indie film festival, we just grabbed whatever was on next!

Incidentally the film following it was "Black Power, The Movie", so I'm unsure how much better/worse that one would have gone.

Thankfully I'm out of the dating game so will not need to worry about a "next time"!

Ohh...how comes your out of the dating game??...not too sure about that film though...
Original post by harry998
Thinking of going on a date with a girl I like... Any suggestions for things to do or not to do would be greatly appreciated!

Walk in the woods?

Spoiler

Original post by LostGirlOnTheRun
Ohh...how comes your out of the dating game??...not too sure about that film though...

Happily married, so fingers cross that should be me done with it for life.

Yeah, I don't think any of the films were necessarily date appropriate. Although all of them were probably better than Batman vs Superman.
go for a meal out or cocktails
My advice would be to be yourself, be funny (girls like a good sense of humour), show her you like her, give her your full attention.
Also make the effort to look good for the date as you want to impress her so: good hygiene, shower, cut your fingernails, wear a light cologne.
What not to do: Being negative, Brag about yourself, Talk about past relationship, Look at other women, Bad hygiene etc.
Original post by JavaScriptMaster

Unless she has an intolerance of spicy things! She will spend the evening in the bathroom!
Reply 18
Go for a meal :cheers:defo but make sure she's not a vegan or smth before you decide on GBK...:clap2:
Why not try brunch for a first date? Somewhere casual, good food and will only be an hour or two early on in the day.

I used to prefer that, meant I wasn't giving up a whole evening if it was a disaster!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending