The Student Room Group

Will the EU referendum affect studying abroad this year?

I'm applying for a masters in the Netherlands this year and i'm wondering if we leave the EU will that change the fees to non EU fees for this year, which will change from €2000 to €18000 in my case.
No. It will take at least a couple of years to leave the EU if the people vote to leave. There'll be a hell of a lot of paperwork to do first.
Reply 2
well that's nice to know, thanks
But this IS the sort of thing we all need to think about before 23 June - opportunities for study abroad, placements and graduate jobs will all cease if we leave.
Original post by returnmigrant
But this IS the sort of thing we all need to think about before 23 June - opportunities for study abroad, placements and graduate jobs will all cease if we leave.

You can't just say 'they will all cease' if we leave - the truth is no-one really knows what will happen and nothing is definite at this stage. Some opportunities might be cut, others might be introduced.
Original post by Duncan2012
You can't just say 'they will all cease' if we leave - the truth is no-one really knows what will happen and nothing is definite at this stage. Some opportunities might be cut, others might be introduced.

The cost would no longer be subsidised by the EU - and that is certain. This would make study abroad effectively unaffordable by many thousands of UK students and deny them the opportunity to study abroad, Welcome to a potentially enormous skills and experience gap compared to other European countries. Opportunities further afield will not be as accessible or feasible given the different timings to the academic year in many countries and the distances/costs involved.
The cost would no longer be subsidised by the EU - and that is certain. This would make study abroad effectively unaffordable by many thousands of UK students and deny them the opportunity to study abroad, Welcome to a potentially enormous skills and experience gap compared to other European countries. Opportunities further afield will not be as accessible or feasible given the different timings to the academic year in many countries and the distances/costs involved.

Some of the millions no longer paid in to the EU following a potential Brexit could be used to fund/support UK students to study abroad. I'm not saying it's a definite - the lack of solid policies from both sides has been obvious throughout the debate - I'm just saying you can't simply make the statement "Brexit equals no studying abroad or graduate jobs" without being challenged on it.
Reply 7
the reciprocal tuition agreement will not be covered by erasmus. UK students can't enjoy the benefits of home tuition status in holland and Scandinavia. People are naive to believe that the UK government will provide more scholarships for students to study abroad after brexit. Just look at the current funding situation of SLC. UK students may have fewer choices to study in Europe.

By the EU.. he means the German and British taxpayers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending