The Student Room Group

How lenient are master's courses with regards to grades?

I have an offer from York for a 2:1 for Contemporary History and International Politics, however I was ill in one of my exams and did pretty **** (the university knows this and I probably will be able to resit it uncapped). I did pretty badly in two half modules in second year as well, but the vast majority of my work has been 2:1 or higher (this year there were only two pieces of coursework that got below 60, and one of them was a 58).

However, there's still a chance that I could miss out on a 2:1. I would still get a high 2:2, though. What is the chance of them letting me in anyway?
If you have extenuating circumstances and your referee can back you up you should be ok. You may want to check if the uni will allow you to resit uncapped or at all though because here we have a 'fit to sit' policy which means that if you sit an exam you declare yourself fit to do so and cannot claim extenuating circumstances afterwards. I'd imagine most other unis would have similar policies.
Original post by alleycat393
If you have extenuating circumstances and your referee can back you up you should be ok. You may want to check if the uni will allow you to resit uncapped or at all though because here we have a 'fit to sit' policy which means that if you sit an exam you declare yourself fit to do so and cannot claim extenuating circumstances afterwards. I'd imagine most other unis would have similar policies.

I have made an extenuating circumstances claim which is being supported by the campus gp, so I should be allowed an uncapped resit.
That's great. Good luck!
Original post by alleycat393
That's great. Good luck!

Thanks. The resit will be in September though; what are the odds of York just letting me in anyway?
You'll have to email them and ask. Keep them informed of the situation. My feeling is that they'll let you attend till your results are declared and then decide whether to let you carry on or not.
Depends on whether York would have accepted you with a 2:2 in the first place. At my uni/course for a PhD you needed a 2:1 minimum and my friend was refused on the basis they didn't think he'd get a 2:1, even though it was possible for him (he didn't in the end, incidentally).

I suspect the answer is no, but it really depends on York and their tutors. I also note a PhD is very different to a masters.
Original post by Uncle Tom

There's absolutely now way of knowing. Departments give out offers based on historical norms of those offers being taken up. So for example, based on past statistics, a department might have 30 places on a course and give out 60 offers, based on past evidence that 15 offerees can't find finance, 10 prefer alternative offers elsewhere and 5 fail to meet the academic standards, leaving 30 to take up their offers.

In the event that is seems like 16 might to be able to find the finances, 11 prefer alternative offers and 6 fail to meet the academic standards, and so the course might be 3 short, the department have to make a judgement on how they fill those 3 places.

First of all, there may be another course in the department that looks to have 'too many' students, so they just let them take more - that keeps the finances straight and keeps academic standards high, so is usually the preferred option.

They probably can't find additional funding, but for high quality students that lack funding, they might try and offer that and convert those applicants.

There's usually not much they can do in-year to re-convert applicants to courses, but work on engagement through the application process is increasing. Many of you will find you are being sent 'contact points' while you are holding offers and making decisions.

The final option, and least preferred because it dilutes academic standing, but is easiest to leverage, is to let people who have missed the academic standards in. This decision tends to be made late, after other options have been worked through. They will allow entry to those that have the best applications otherwise, and have missed by the smallest margin (usually just a few decimal places)

There is absolutely no way that outside the specific course and department and without sight of the entire applicant cohort and the decision statuses as of today, anyone can offer an accurate opinion on your 'chances' if you miss the grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending