The Student Room Group

F Hinds or similiar retail Sales Assistance Interview Help?

Hi guys,
I have an interview with F Hinds for a part time position,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions as to what questions i may be asked? Or what i should research about prior to the interview as i have never worked in a jewellery retail store before.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ruby567
Hi guys,
I have an interview with F Hinds on Monday for a part time position,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions as to what questions i may be asked? Or what i should research about prior to the interview as i have never worked in a jewellery retail store before.

Thanks!

I always research from the name of their company on google and write down on paper then try to memorise all
Research how many stores they have in this country and other countries
What year did they first open
Who founded the company and the name of that person
What type of items they sell
Send friends or family in to the shop to ask about the names of the jewellry, they can even secretly record it on their mobiles or you can do the same by pretending your looking for jewellry to buy for someone else. You can watch how they interact with you and learn from that.
They will be impressed if you know all that

Always leave 1 hour or 30 minutes early incase there is a lot of traffic

Ask these questions:
How many positions are available
Are there any oppurtunitues for promotion
Ask who your manager/supervisor will be
Are there any oppurtunities for you to become a supervisor/manager in the near future
Is this a permanent position

This will Make you sound keen

They ask what do you know about the company ?
Or they ask you to give an example of when you had to deal with a difficult customer and how did you resolve it ?
But i don't think they will ask you that, only some employers ask those depending on what company it is. I hate those questions so i just think of the voluntary work i did or other jobs. If you have never had a job before or never experienced these problems just make something up or think about how you interact with family or friends or resolved any problems with them

Never ask about wages until after they offer you a job

I have a long list of questions written down somewhere and much better questions to ask and answers but as long as you ask at least one or two basic questions then they know your keen and want the job

When they ask you questions
Always lie and say you are looking for a long term career with this company
If they ask where do you see yourself in 5 years say still working for the same company or even add as a supervisor/manager
If they don't ask that question just say it anyway as this will help to secure you the job and use similar words for any other jobs you apply for also say all this below:
I have excellent or very good communication skills
I am very flexible, adaptable, hard working, punctual, very organised, I enjoy talking to people, I am very friendly, a good team player, I am always very professional,
I understand the importance of confidentiality

If they ask what you want to do when you finish uni just say that job or whatever job your applying for because all companies want to hear that employees want to stay with them long term and not leave to go elsewhere

Always try to stick to wearing black trousers, white shirt, black shoes
Or it does not have to be black but anything smart but when i wear a white shirt employers tell me their glad i wore it and made the effort.
Some people have no common sense and on interviews i have been on i see people wearing jeans, trainers, t shirts, jumpers, very bright colours, leather jacket, flowered dress with jeans and the weirdest one iv'e ever seen is a young girl wearing very short shorts and a short top exposing her boobs and her belly button showing and they were both green with flower prints on them.
Some people dress real weird for interviews, i just look at what everyone else is wearing and i'm secretly laughing. One man wore all light blue denim and another man wore the full tracksuit and trainers.
Original post by ruby567
Hi guys,

By UN

Thanks!

I forgot to add that people think that even if they went for an interview for a cleaning job or retail jobs that they don't have to dress smart but whatever job you go for it's always smart to always make an effort and look professional because employers are judging you on the clothes you wear to an interview.
Always maintain good eye contact, try not to look down ever because although it may feel weird to stare them in the eye it shows confidence and be talkative, use a firm, strong hand shake not limp hand shake and look them in the eye while doing so.
I have been on so many courses about this, some for 2 weeks from 9am to 4pm
by the job centre, it's pure torture and just to apply for jobs in Argos, and all other retail jobs and working asTrain assistant the job centre makes people go to college
for 2 or 3 weeks before we are allowed to apply for the job then before we have an interview we have to do a presentation and work in a group but anyone who does not stand out from the group by talking loud or interact well in a team are not allowed to go for the interview.
It's a real insult because immigrants who come to this country don' have to do all that just to get a job but i don't blame them i only blame the employer's in this country.
Their all idiots, it's no wonder it's so hard to get a job in this country

But anyway Good luck
If not successful apply for lots of jobs on www.studentjobs.co.uk
Original post by ruby567
Hi guys,

Thanks!

Pretend your really passionate about jewellry and that you love buying them for friends family and you would enjoy helping customers to choose the best and the right type of jewellry for themselves
Look on their website for the type of jewellry they sell, the name of the different types of jewellry they sell and the different prices and you can do the same if you get to the interview early just by asking about the jewellry because i'm sure all the staff will be willing to help you or give you any tips
Reply 4
Original post by Judge Judy
I forgot to add that people think that even if they went for an interview for a cleaning job or retail jobs that they don't have to dress smart but whatever job you go for it's always smart to always make an effort and look professional because employers are judging you on the clothes you wear to an interview.
Always maintain good eye contact, try not to look down ever because although it may feel weird to stare them in the eye it shows confidence and be talkative, use a firm, strong hand shake not limp hand shake and look them in the eye while doing so.
by the job centre, it's pure torture and just to apply for jobs in Argos, and all other retail jobs and working asTrain assistant the job centre makes people go to college
for 2 or 3 weeks before we are allowed to apply for the job then before we have an interview we have to do a presentation and work in a group but anyone who does not stand out from the group by talking loud or interact well in a team are not allowed to go for the interview.
It's a real insult because immigrants who come to this country don' have to do all that just to get a job but i don't blame them i only blame the employer's in this country.

But anyway Good luck

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it and will definitely act upon what you have advised!

As far as dress code is concerned, i will definitely be opting for smart, professional clothes. I cannot imagine what those people were thinking haha!

Thanks once again!
Reply 5
Original post by Judge Judy

But anyway Good luck

And I absolutely agree, it is a nightmare to get a job!
Sales assistant roles require you to do an online applications, competency tests, telephone interviews and then face to face interviews! It just goes on and on.

Oh well i'm hoping for the best!
Your advice has definitely helped me a lot and much appreciated!
Original post by ruby567
And I absolutely agree, it is a nightmare to get a job!
Sales assistant roles require you to do an online applications, competency tests, telephone interviews and then face to face interviews! It just goes on and on.

Oh well i'm hoping for the best!
Your advice has definitely helped me a lot and much appreciated!

I forgot to tell you about this too so Sign up with this today
www.takepartinresearch.co.uk
click on that link.
You might get lucky to be chosen but you you have to apply for lots of different surveys to get lucky and you have to keep ringing them after you applied for a survey and if the date to do it is a few days away you just ring them to find out if youve been chosen
They pay £50, £100, £250
I like the idea of group discussions or if they just ring you up for telephone surveys

Also remember to go to walk in agencies on the high street with your cv and dress smart like trousers and a nice top, it doesnt have to be a full suit because they dont always help people who dont dress smart. Agencies are the easiest way to get a job but most people dont know this and dont bother to join. You can join as many as possible to see who gets you a job the quickest

Remember the 3 C's. These jobs are easy to get for most people
Cinema
Catering
Carer

Or even Trainee Recruitment Consultant
Train Assistant jobs
Jobs in Iceland
Reply 7
I work in a jewellers called Ernest Jones and at my work they don't solely focus on how much you know about jewellery. They wouldn't offer you a job interview if they wanted you to know everything about jewellery seeing as it's not on your cv. You need to be willing to deliver excellent customer service, to help customers find the perfect piece of jewellery, to learn a LOT (say that you are eager to learn new things) because in some jewellers you need to know everything about diamonds before you can even show them to customers, also it might help if you know the latest fashion in jewellery/watches (I'd mention that rose gold is a growing popular jewellery metal), if you can nail those you'll be ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending