The Student Room Group

Feeling discriminated against in employment

Hi, i applied to a job in a retail store (not naming it here). My other english friend applied as well and we are in EXACTLY both the same situations. We both have finished school and my predicted grades are better than his. However, he got a job from the retail store.
I thought it was because he applied a few days earlier than me.

But my other english friend who is also in the exact same situation applied to this major retail store a week AFTER ME and got the job aswell! We all have the same background (no work or voluntary experience). This retail store has not even bothered to reply back to me. They said it would be 2 weeks max and it has been way past that. I messaged the retail store and they said they would reply to me but they didn't. The only difference is between my and my friends is that I have a different ethnic background. We are all british ( born and bred :P)
(edited 7 years ago)
they think you're overqualified?
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
they think you're overqualified?

How can I be? It is just predicted grades
Daaaaaayum White People Back At It Again With Dat Discrimination
Reply 4
You arn't employed so it cant be discrimination in employment...
Sometimes when you get higher grades they know you are more likely to go to university is not work for them for too long. That's what I've experienced anyway, it was mentioned at a couple of job interviews and also I lowered my grades on my CV and got more interviews. Not exactly proof but that might be what's happened.
Reply 6
Original post by Jenniferann232
Sometimes when you get higher grades they know you are more likely to go to university is not work for them for too long. That's what I've experienced anyway, it was mentioned at a couple of job interviews and also I lowered my grades on my CV and got more interviews. Not exactly proof but that might be what's happened.
it is a zero hour contract and they are looking for summer temps
Reply 7
Original post by Reue
You arn't employed so it cant be discrimination in employment...

Knew i would get stupid responses like this
Reply 8
Original post by guy321
Knew i would get stupid responses like this

As opposed to the stupid assumption that you're being discriminated against because you're unable to get the job?
Reply 9
Original post by Reue
As opposed to the stupid assumption that you're being discriminated against because you're unable to get the job?

Umm the only DIFFERENCE between me and my friends is my ethnic background. Most places that I have applied to have at least let me know if my application has been successful/unsuccessful.
Can we not start a tsr thread argument because I really can't be bothered to fight lol
Reply 10
Original post by guy321
Umm the only DIFFERENCE between me and my friends is my ethnic background. Most places that I have applied to have at least let me know if my application has been successful/unsuccessful.
Can we not start a tsr thread argument because I really can't be bothered to fight lol

You're accusing someone of breaking the law, do you have any actual proof?

Perhaps they didn't like your application. Perhaps they processed your friend's application first and that filled the last remaining open position? Perhaps someone in HR dropped the application and it got accidentally binned by the overnight cleaners?
Original post by guy321
Hi, i applied to a job in a retail store (not naming it here). My other english friend applied as well and we are in EXACTLY both the same situations. We both have finished school and my predicted grades are better than his. However, he got a job from the retail store.
I thought it was because he applied a few days earlier than me.

But my other english friend who is also in the exact same situation applied to this major retail store a week AFTER ME and got the job aswell! We all have the same background (no work or voluntary experience). This retail store has not even bothered to reply back to me. They said it would be 2 weeks max and it has been way past that. I messaged the retail store and they said they would reply to me but they didn't. The only difference is between my and my friends is that I have a different ethnic background. We are all british ( born and bred :P)

I won't do like everyone else above and dismiss your concerns.

What you have experienced is pretty widespread and other people with foreign sounding names have experienced it. Truth is that when employers are faced with a CV with a foreign sounding name, then there isn't a way for them to know whether it's from a British born person or from an international student for instance who might have restrictions on their right to work (number of hours per week, type of work...etc). So if they do find an easier choice (white sounding name), then they would pick them unfortunately, because it is an easier/more straightforward choice.

This is especially common in unskilled work like in retail and customer service. Since about anyone can do that kind of job, and that these jobs don't require any particular skill, employers are not too bothered to take "the best" that there's, and just want the most straightforward choice that can do the job without gambling too much on a candidate that can be a bit more of a trouble.

The solution in this case is to just keep applying, and in this case avoid places that your friends are applying for. You will eventually land some sort of job, it will just take longer and you'll have to try harder.

The brighter side of this is that it will motivate you to study harder to get a skilled job (after uni) as these tend to be a lot more meritocratic than unskilled ones. Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Reue
You're accusing someone of breaking the law, do you have any actual proof?

Perhaps they didn't like your application. Perhaps they processed your friend's application first and that filled the last remaining open position? Perhaps someone in HR dropped the application and it got accidentally binned by the overnight cleaners?

Okay, i see your point. Thanks for the input and like i said i don't want this thread to turn into an argument :smile:
Original post by guy321

One of the problems with entry level jobs is that 90+% of applicants would be able to do the job, and hundreds often apply, and the employer needs to whittle that list down to 4-6 to interview. Therefore even the smallest thing in your CV/Application can get you binned.

So for example, you mention you have better predicted grades - that suggests that you think grades are relevant to a job in retail - well they aren't. So for example, if you had listed all your predicted GCSE subjects and grades, and your friend had just said one line 'Studying 8 GCSEs including English and Maths'. Their CV would have seemed much stronger.

So I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that there is active discrimination going on. Your applications were probably quite different, despite being in the same school year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending