The Student Room Group

University retake

Hi, I need some advice. I am studying towards a MSc Mathematical Finance. I got my provisional grades and my average is 62% excluding dissertation. However, I marginally failed one module, I got 47.5%. It was a computing module and it was split into two exams. I can say honestly I didn't work hard for the first exam which I got 49% but I worked very hard for the second one and actually did worse! I got 46%. It was a tough exam though. Registry told me that if I get over 60% in my dissertation I can still get the MSc with Merit but they advised me to retake as a fail looks bad on the transcript, it won't say something like "condoned pass" on the transcript. They haven't told me if I retake the exam and do worse my best grade will count. My biggest worry is that I will actually do worse and drag down my average. If I get a distinction in my dissertation it should pull my average to a strong Merit (65%+) but that's a big if. I am worried about the fail on transcript as it may put employers off and if I wanted to do a PhD in the future it would limit my chances. But it won't affect my running average much as I failed by 2%. I'm not really sure what to do.
First off you need to check again with the uni that you can retake and what will happen if you do worse. I'm not sure what you mean by marginally fail. What is the fail mark at your uni? If it's less that what you got then you haven't failed and I wouldn't risk a retake. Just get your referee to cover it in their ref. If you have actually failed and can retake go for it and good luck!
Original post by alleycat393
First off you need to check again with the uni that you can retake and what will happen if you do worse. I'm not sure what you mean by marginally fail. What is the fail mark at your uni? If it's less that what you got then you haven't failed and I wouldn't risk a retake. Just get your referee to cover it in their ref. If you have actually failed and can retake go for it and good luck!

Hi thanks for your reply. I didn't see the post so sorry for my late reply. I meant I marginally failed that module because the pass mark is 50% and I got 48%.
Anyways, I retook the exams passed the module and also got a Merit in my dissertation (found out today). So I have passed my masters with a Merit! :smile:.
Reply 3
is there anywhere in Ireland that can resubmit Thesis for second opinion.
Original post by anxius
is there anywhere in Ireland that can resubmit Thesis for second opinion.

It's a pretty universal tenet of academia that academic judgement can't be second guessed, so it is highly unlikely that any university would do this. University level judgements on academic ability work on a very different basis to school exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending