The Student Room Group

Is it too late to go university?

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by tomekplnd
Today I received an unexpected letter from Nottingham Trent Uni stating that I received a place at the university. The thing is that I have not applied this year and therefore was not at all prepared to go university this year. I assume I got the offer because last year I passed up on the offer and they must have passed on the offer onto this year too. I am strongly considering the offer but now it is august and I am worried that it may be too late, especially with student finance and the pick of decent and affordable accomodation.

I don't know anything about Trent - but how can the Fresher accomodation be gone before the A-level results are out?
Do student finance NOW if you are thinking about going uni. Even if you decide to not go, you are not losing anything so apply.
Well that's what I'm asking I have no idea when people get to choose their accommodation, is it after they get their results?

Ring up the uni and ask, they might have some places. Although it might be better to ask after results day as some people won't get into the uni so they might have places in other accommodations that you may prefer.
Well that's what I'm asking I have no idea when people get to choose their accommodation, is it after they get their results?

If you have an unconditional offer, I would have thought you'd enjoy the guarantee of fresher accomodation. I wouldn't think there would be reservations for specific accomodation for people who don't even know they're going yet (the offer holders)
Today I received an unexpected letter from Nottingham Trent Uni stating that I received a place at the university. The thing is that I have not applied this year and therefore was not at all prepared to go university this year. I assume I got the offer because last year I passed up on the offer and they must have passed on the offer onto this year too. I am strongly considering the offer but now it is august and I am worried that it may be too late, especially with student finance and the pick of decent and affordable accomodation.

I would call now see what is available and if there isn't anything good wait till results day/day after then ring then about accommodation
Reply 6
Original post by loveleest
Ring up the uni and ask, they might have some places. Although it might be better to ask after results day as some people won't get into the uni so they might have places in other accommodations that you may prefer.

I have just called up and the lady said exactly what you said. :smile:

Well, the first thing to do is to get on the phone to sort out how this has happened with Nottingham Trent, because if they are handing out places to people who haven't even applied there, then something is wrong. Unless you accepted a deferred offer last year, then you aren't even in the UCAS cycle and this must be an error.

Have you phoned yet, any update?
Reply 9
Original post by LPauling
Have you phoned yet, any update?

No I got off work late, so wasn't able but should have more time to do so tomorrow.
Check with the University to see what your position is with them and to check that you have definitely got a place with them. If this is the case then it is not too late to apply for finance, and you should be able to get some accommodation. I applied late for a postgraduate course at the University that I am going to and they even have accommodation available for Postgrads still, so I imagine this should be the case for undergrads too.
Reply 11
So after a number of calls I more or less have an idea of the situation. The offer is indeed live, however what the university meant was to withdraw the offer but instead they deferred it to this year, which I am obviously happy about as I'm looking to take the offer. All that I have left is to complete my student finance and sort out accomodation. Thanks everyone for their advice and suggestions.
So after a number of calls I more or less have an idea of the situation. The offer is indeed live, however what the university meant was to withdraw the offer but instead they deferred it to this year, which I am obviously happy about as I'm looking to take the offer. All that I have left is to complete my student finance and sort out accomodation. Thanks everyone for their advice and suggestions.

So, a mistake but a happy one which suits all parties. An unusual turn of events, but no less welcome for that. Enjoy!

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending