The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I've just finished second year, going into final year of SaLT at BCU at the end of this month! When I started we got our DBS refunded :smile: I am just contacting a lecturer at BCU to ask if this is still the case, and if so where the link to the form to get a refund is. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask me :smile:

Original post by lisasmith2009
thanks for the response. I am really stressing about how long the days are going to be as i have a 5 year old at home. roughly what time did the lectures start and finish in the first year?

In first year, you typically have 9am-4pm days (some 10am-3pm, some 9am-5pm), with Wednesday off. We had some sessions which were split into groups and may have gone onto 7pm if you were in group B for example, but if you need to switch groups to finish earlier they are very understanding and helpful with this, as they are very well equip to help part time students :smile:
Reply 901
Hello :smile: Is anyone else intending to go to UoM this September? I've accepted my offer from them but had no correspondence about health checks or DBS and am not even sure of the course start date... I've tried calling/emailing but not had any luck yet. Can anyone help?
Original post by M_Q
Hello :smile: Is anyone else intending to go to UoM this September? I've accepted my offer from them but had no correspondence about health checks or DBS and am not even sure of the course start date... I've tried calling/emailing but not had any luck yet. Can anyone help?

Finally found someone who is going to be studying SLT at UoM. (If I get the grades obviously). I am in the same boat, I have no idea of the course date, but I'm sure it would most likely to be towards the end of September. As for the DBS check, that will probably be done once you get the grades. You should however had received a letter, to fill in and sign from your doctor, regarding your health. ( It should have come in the post). Having said that, mine did not, but I received an E-mail saying to fill it in, otherwise my offer would be declined. So I asked them to E-mail it me and then just printed it of at home and sent it to them. I haven't heard from that since (that was late June). Also, are you E-mailing them on the right E-mail? They typically reply within a day/ few hours.
(edited 7 years ago)
Forgive the intrusion into your discussion - I am actually a SLT student at the other Manchester uni - but I did have UofM as my insurance choice two years ago. If I remember rightly all I got from UofM was the health questionnaire with no mention of the DBS check (whereas at MMU we had to complete this during the summer so it was back before we started). Our next academic year starts on 19 Sept and this should be the same for you too, as both Manchester unis seem to have freshers week at the same time. If you get the results and your place is confirmed then you should have some kind of correspondence/welcome pack - mine for MMU came on the day I got my results (this included details of online enrolment I had to do before I started which gave me access to an Induction Week timetable). Good luck
Original post by Blue_pearl
Finally found someone who is going to be studying SLT at UoM. (If I get the grades obviously). I am in the same boat, I have no idea of the course date, but I'm sure it would most likely to be towards the end of September. As for the DBS check, that will probably be done once you get the grades. You should however had received a letter, to fill in and sign from your doctor, regarding your health. ( It should have come in the post). Having said that, mine did not, but I received an E-mail saying to fill it in, otherwise my offer would be declined. So I asked them to E-mail it me and then just printed it of at home and sent it to them. I haven't heard from that since (that was late June). Also, are you E-mailing them on the right E-mail? They typically reply within a day/ few hours.
Reply 904

Ah amazing so glad I've found someone in the same situation as me! I've actually managed to get an answer out of facebook of all places- messaged the SLT page and it is 19th September to start. I've had a couple of years out of studying so luckily already have the grades I need - but good luck with yours :smile: Hoping I will hear from them soon re health check. Thanks for helping :smile:
My offer was made unconditional today (I did Access so had my grades for a while) so Sheffield here I come! It's all getting real now! :smile:
i am really worrying about actually getting the grades to get onto the course, so does anyone know the what would be the best plan b to becoming a speech therapist??/the best alternative course? because i'm stressing about not knowing what to do if i don't get in :-(
Original post by tildawatts
i am really worrying about actually getting the grades to get onto the course, so does anyone know the what would be the best plan b to becoming a speech therapist??/the best alternative course? because i'm stressing about not knowing what to do if i don't get in :-(

Try not to panic too much about a situation that might never happen, but just in case, the first thing to do would be to see if there are any SaLT courses in Clearing that will take you.

If not, your options would be to take a relevant first degree (linguistics, psychology, or something along those lines) and build up a portfolio of good work experience so as to apply for the postgrad SaLT training, or to resit A-levels and reapply for the BSc next year (this option would probably lead to less student debt).

Pre-results day panic is normal and often unwarranted. I hope you get the results you need, so that you don't even have to think about these other options. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jo-sie
Hi Lisa, I'm starting at bcu this year too. I'm doing part time as I also have a young family. Are you signed up for part time or full time? Either way we will have some lectures together. I'm sure there will be juggling to do for many of us on the course but I am also sure the students will be a great support for each other and we'll all sort it out! xxx

Hello, I am about to go into my second year at BCU so thought id help you out! generally the days are about 9-4/5 however on one day of the week about half way through the first term this can be until 6pm depending on which group they have put you into.
Hope this helps! please feel free to ask any other questions!
I also have a role as a 'Level Up Mentor' so I will shortly be able to redirect you to our BCU page but this wont be until Monday 22nd. :smile: Rebecca
try boosting your experience with client groups. Unfortunately it's too late for this year to do that but working with children, adults and the elderly is very useful! try the stroke association, dementia friends or just working with typically developing children. I didn't have the grades to get in but they valued my experience with different client groups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck to everyone waiting for A level results!
Original post by tildawatts

As results day is tomorrow, I thought I would share this video I made for last year's results day: https://youtu.be/6YesSJFdnxI

Hope it gives you guys for good advice and hope that, even if you don't get what you imagined or didn't get into the uni you wanted, it's still okay!

I graduated from Marjon (University of St Mark and St John) in 2014, so if you have any questions, feel free to shoot them my way :smile:

Good luck for tomorrow everyone, I'll have my fingers crossed for you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Good luck guys! :smile: fingers crossed you are in, if not I believe City and Strathclyde are in clearing- I've just finished second year at Strathclyde so happy to answer any questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone!

My place is finally confirmed for Cardiff Metropolitan - does anybody know of a Facebook group for the class?

A little bit about me - 23 years old, I have a degree in Primary Education and I live in Cardiff (originally from Wolverhampton).

Good luck to everyone getting their results today!
I hope everyone gets their results! Sheffield has confirmed my place so uni here I come!
I hope everyone got the results they wanted and got the university they wanted as well! I'm a second year student at Sheffield, so if anyone whose going to Sheffield has any questions, feel free to message me, or if you just want to get to know someone before you go to ease your nerves then feel free! :smile:
The NHS bursary I received isn't enough to cover my accommodation. I still fall approx £2000 short and that's without the cost of living expenses..Is there anything else anyone can recommend? (I'm going to try and find a part time job too)
The NHS bursary I received isn't enough to cover my accommodation. I still fall approx £2000 short and that's without the cost of living expenses..Is there anything else anyone can recommend? (I'm going to try and find a part time job too)

Presume you have applied for the reduced loan from student finance England which is approx. £2300?
Original post by AmyPilot
Presume you have applied for the reduced loan from student finance England which is approx. £2300?

Yes, it was the only one I was able to get. My bursary was approx 3000 , so I only have £5000 altogether to essentially 'live' off for the year..(this isn't even enough to cover my accommodation fees)
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, it was the only one I was able to get. My bursary was approx 3000 , so I only have £5000 altogether to essentially 'live' off for the year..(this isn't even enough to cover my accommodation fees)

Yeah, I only get the £1000 basic bursary and the SFE loan. I'm grateful we get our tuition fees paid and all that, but it's a pretty rubbish situation! I guess part time work is the only opition...it just seems to defeat the entire point of why the NHS bursaries exist though.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest